Barcelona send birthday message to Messi as captain's contract nears end

By Sports Desk June 24, 2021

Barcelona sent birthday greetings to Lionel Messi as the club captain turned 34 on Thursday – at a time when his future remains unresolved.

The man who holds a near clean sweep of individual club records has yet to sign a new contract, with his deal due to expire at the end of June.

There was customary warmth towards Messi in the social media posts by Barcelona, who showcased a reel of his 10 best goals, and now they must hope he has more birthdays to come while serving at Camp Nou.

Messi, whose career has been a one-club odyssey, is currently on Copa America duty in Brazil with the Argentina national team.

He is Barcelona's record goalscorer and has made more appearances for the club than any other player, also winning an unsurpassed six Ballon d'Or trophies while with the Catalan giants.

Messi sensationally sought to leave Barcelona last year, looking to exercise a clause in his contract that he believed allowed him to depart at the end of the season.

The club disputed his right to go and, faced with the prospect of a legal battle to try to free himself from his deal, Messi rowed back on that intention, committing to another term with the Blaugrana.

He finished as top scorer in LaLiga with 30 goals – seven more than any other player – and helped Barcelona win the Copa del Rey under new boss Ronald Koeman.

Those goals came at a rate of one every 100.77 minutes, with Messi surpassing his expected goals (xG) total of 23.79 comfortably.

However, Barcelona had started the season dreadfully and, despite picking up form in the new year, another dip came in the closing weeks of the campaign as a promising title challenge collapsed.

That allowed Atletico Madrid to capture the LaLiga trophy, with Real Madrid runners-up and Barcelona third.

The financial impact of the COVID-19 crisis has hit Barcelona hard and the contract offer tabled to Messi is reportedly not at the same level as his soon-to-expire deal.

The election of Joan Laporta as club president appears to have been taken as a positive step forward by Messi, who was scathing at times in his criticism of the previous regime, headed up by Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Barcelona have signed the likes of Eric Garcia, Memphis Depay and Messi's great friend Sergio Aguero to reinforce their side for next season.

Clearly, the club are building in the anticipation Messi will commit, rather than be tempted by the likes of past suitors Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City.

"He wants to stay," said Laporta recently, speaking at the presentation of a TV3 documentary about Messi.

"I do not contemplate a no. But it isn't easy. We'll do what we can."

Related items

  • Man City youngster Liam Delap joins Stoke on loan Man City youngster Liam Delap joins Stoke on loan

    Manchester City youngster Liam Delap has joined Championship side Stoke City on loan for the duration of the 2022-23 campaign.

    The 19-year-old burst onto the scene with a goal on his senior debut for City in an EFL Cup tie two years ago and has gone on to make five further first-team appearances.

    Delap was part of City's squad for last weekend's 4-0 thrashing of Bournemouth, but Pep Guardiola confirmed after the game that the teenage striker would soon go out on loan.

    The Premier League champions announced on Thursday that Delap has followed in father Rory's steps by joining Stoke, who saw off competition from a number of other clubs.

    Stoke boss Michael O'Neill told the club's official website: "It's no secret that we have been looking to bring Liam to the club.

    "We have been in dialogue with City for some time now and had the opportunity a few weeks ago to outline our plans for Liam.

    "We are grateful to them for the trust they have placed in us and we are really excited about working with Liam."

    Delap, who is under contract at the Etihad Stadium until July 2026, is eligible to make his Stoke debut in Saturday's home match with Sunderland.

    O'Neill's side have made a slow start to their Championship campaign, with four points from their first four matches.

  • Man Utd fan group demands team and stadium investment if Ratcliffe buys out Glazers Man Utd fan group demands team and stadium investment if Ratcliffe buys out Glazers

    Jim Ratcliffe must prove his commitment to "the culture, ethos and best traditions" of Manchester United if he is seriously considering making a bid for the club, a group of prominent supporters said on Thursday.

    The independent Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST) outlined its expectations of any potential buyer, saying "new money" investment was essential and demanding fan representation within the ownership model.

    Ratcliffe is "definitely a potential buyer" of United should the Glazer family put the club up for sale, a spokesperson for the British billionaire told The Times.

    Amid claims the Glazers are considering selling a minority stake, lifelong United supporter Ratcliffe is reportedly willing to discuss taking such a holding, but only if it forms part of a plan to take full control at a later date.

    MUST has cautiously welcomed the interest, which follows Ratcliffe failing with a bid to buy Chelsea in May.

    In a statement issued on Twitter, MUST said: "Speculation is mounting about a potential change of ownership or new investors at Manchester United. Whilst supporters have called for change, of course this has to be the right change.

    "Any prospective new owner or investor has to be committed to the culture, ethos and best traditions of the club. They have to be willing to invest to restore United to former glories, and that investment must be real new money spent on the playing side and the stadium.

    "Finally any new ownership structure must embed supporters, including a degree of fan share ownership, in their operating model. These are the criteria supporters will judge any bid on. We are open to dialogue with any bidder, and look forward to any such discussions."

    Ratcliffe has made his fortune as head of the INEOS chemicals company and already holds sporting stakes, investing heavily in cycling, sailing and Formula One.

    He is the owner of French Ligue 1 football club Nice, and his interest in acquiring a Premier League team has already been made clear.

    His spokesperson said: "Jim is looking at what can be done now and, knowing how important the club is to the city, it feels like the time is right for a reset."

    The Glazer family's ownership of United has come under increased scrutiny following the Red Devils' poor start to the Premier League season, with supporters staging several protests against the Americans.

    United have made a poor start to life under new boss Erik ten Hag, losing their season-opener 2-1 at home to Brighton and Hove Albion before being embarrassed 4-0 at Brentford. Their next assignment is a clash on Monday with fierce rivals Liverpool.

  • Napoli bring in hot-shot Simeone from Hellas Verona Napoli bring in hot-shot Simeone from Hellas Verona

    Napoli have completed the signing of striker Giovanni Simeone from Hellas Verona.

    Simeone, who is a son of Atletico Madrid boss Diego, has joined Napoli on an initial loan with an obligation to buy if certain clauses are triggered.

    Napoli announced the signing on Thursday, with Simeone opting for the number 18 shirt.

    The 27-year-old has spent the past six seasons in Serie A with Genoa, Fiorentina, Cagliari and Verona, whom he only joined permanently in June after impressing on loan.

    He scored 17 goals in the Italian top flight last season – a tally bettered only by Lautaro Martinez (21), Dusan Vlahovic (24) and Ciro Immobile (27) – while assisting five more.

    Five-cap Argentina international Simeone's arrival at Napoli comes on the back of the club's record goalscorer Dries Mertens departing on a free transfer this window.

    Napoli have also waved goodbye to fellow regular goalscorer Lorenzo Insigne since the end of last season, as well as David Ospina, Kalidou Koulibaly and Arkadiusz Milik.

    Luciano Spalletti's side are believed to be closing in on further deals for Giacomo Raspadori from Sassuolo and Tottenham's Tanguy Ndombele.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.