Upamecano: I rejected Man Utd move after Rangnick plotted great future

By Sports Desk May 13, 2021

Dayot Upamecano has claimed he turned down an opportunity to join Manchester United as a teenager because Ralf Rangnick presented such a persuasive alternative.

The defender, who will leave RB Leipzig to join Bayern Munich at the end of this season, was targeted by United as a teenage prospect when he was with French club Valenciennes.

He elected to turn down United and move to Austrian club Salzburg, Upamecano says, after being wowed by Rangnick's precise vision for his career.

At the time, Rangnick was sporting director for Salzburg and Leipzig, with both clubs part of the Red Bull empire, and talking Upamecano into a move proved one of many successes he achieved in that role.

United had tempted the youngster, however, and Upamecano told The Athletic: "I was a young boy. I wanted to sign for them straight away. Manchester United! But then my parents took me aside and said: 'Let's think carefully about this'.

"We thought about it for a long time and then decided that going 'etape par etape' [step by step] was the best option for me. Everything Ralf said came true."

Upamecano was loaned out to Liefering before returning to make an impact with Salzburg while still in his teens, and at the age of 18, in January 2017, he was moved through the ranks to join Leipzig.

Rangnick, who had already enjoyed one spell as head coach of Leipzig, returned for another in 2018, and Upamecano said: "Ralf was the most important coach for me. He's a professor, a scientist of football, and he also cares about everything. He's always there for you with advice on matters football and non-football, every single day."

Before joining Bayern, Upamecano has the chance on Thursday to land a DFB-Pokal title with Leipzig as they head into the final in Berlin against Borussia Dortmund.

Julian Nagelsmann, who succeeded Rangnick in 2019, has been another major influence on the career of Upamecano, who describes the 33-year-old as "an unbelievable manager".

Like Upamecano, Nagelsmann will also move to Bayern at the season's end.

"He really takes you to another level," Upamecano said. "For example, because of Julian, I have improved a lot in terms of opening the game from the defence with precise passes into the midfield, and he told me to use my dribbling abilities in order to create spaces going forward."

That is borne out by data that shows Upamecano has progressed significantly while at Leipzig.

Following his mid-season arrival in 2017, Upamecano had an overall passing accuracy of 78.6 per cent in the Bundesliga, while his accuracy with passes ending in the final third of the field was just 46.2 per cent.

These numbers belong firmly in Upamecano's past, because his precision now shows a marked improvement.

In 2017-18, he stepped up those percentages to 83.7 and 55 in the Bundesliga, while attempting 130 passes into the final third of the pitch.

But in 2019-20, his overall accuracy stood at 89.1 per cent and his accuracy into the final third was a healthy 74 per cent, with Upamecano attempting 232 balls into that attacking area in league games. Each figure put him in the top 10 for Bundesliga defenders who played at least 20 games.

This season has seen a minor step back, but an 88.5 per cent total accuracy and 70 per cent accuracy into the final third continues to reflect well on the French defender, a player United must sorely regret failing to recruit.

Related items

  • Caicedo transfer plea a 'mistake' but De Zerbi casts doubt over Brighton's stance Caicedo transfer plea a 'mistake' but De Zerbi casts doubt over Brighton's stance

    Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Roberto De Zerbi cast doubt over the club's determination to not sell Moises Caicedo despite labelling the player's transfer plea a "mistake".

    Reports earlier this week suggested Arsenal had a £60million bid for the Ecuador international rejected by Brighton.

    Caicedo responded by announcing his desire to leave in a post on social media, calling it a "magnificent opportunity" without specifically mentioning Arsenal.

    The 21-year-old has since been told to take time away from the club while there is uncertainty surrounding his future, meaning he was unavailable for Sunday's FA Cup clash with Liverpool.

    It was ahead of Sunday's game when De Zerbi was asked about the latest on the Caicedo saga, and the Italian could not offer much certainty about him staying beyond the January transfer window.

    "Moises is a good guy. We will see what happens [Monday] and the next day," he told ITV.

    "We hope he stays with us until the end of the season, but this is a question of the club and Moises.

    "In life you can make mistakes.

    "There are many solutions for everyone and we will see the best solution for the club, for him and for us."

    Arsenal are rumoured to have submitted a second bid worth up to £70m for the talented central midfielder, who joined Brighton in February 2021 for roughly £4.4m from Ecuador's Independiente del Valle.

  • Milan 2-5 Sassuolo: Neroverdi add to Rossoneri misery with San Siro thrashing Milan 2-5 Sassuolo: Neroverdi add to Rossoneri misery with San Siro thrashing

    A goal and two assists from Italy international Domenico Berardi piled on the misery for Milan as Sassuolo thrashed the Rossoneri 5-2 at San Siro.

    Sassuolo took an early two-goal lead thanks to goals from Gregoire Defrel and Davide Frattesi prior to Olivier Giroud pulling one back for the hosts.

    Berardi made it 3-1 after just 30 minutes before Armand Lauriente's penalty and Matheus Henrique's effort in the second half handed Milan their second chastening loss in a week after their 4-0 humbling at Lazio on Tuesday.

    Divock Origi scored a consolation for Stefano Pioli's side, who are now six games without a win heading into next weekend's Milan derby, including four in Serie A as their title defence continues to falter.

    A VAR review denied Giroud an eighth-minute opener and, to make matters significantly worse, Milan found themselves two down inside 22 minutes.

    Berardi squared for Defrel to tap in the opener before the same man fed Frattesi, who fired past Ciprian Tatarusanu at his near post after great work in the area.

    Milan provided a swift response when Giroud expertly headed Davide Calabria's cross into the far corner in the 25th minute.

    But the two-goal lead was restored on the half-hour mark when Berardi flicked a near-post header past Tatarusanu from a corner.

    Milan's hopes of a second-half comeback were doused almost immediately as Lauriente was brought down in the penalty area by Calabria after 33 seconds of the restart, allowing the Frenchman to make it 4-1 from the spot, meaning Milan had conceded at least four goals in back-to-back Serie A games for the first time in their history.

    Ante Rebic had a goal ruled out for offside before Henrique fired in a fifth with just over 10 minutes remaining, with Origi's curling strike into the top corner doing little to lift the gloom among the home fans.

  • Australian Open: Djokovic revels in 'biggest victory of my life' after landing 10th title Australian Open: Djokovic revels in 'biggest victory of my life' after landing 10th title

    Novak Djokovic described his latest Australian Open triumph as "probably the biggest victory of my life" as he put last year's adversity behind him to win the title for a 10th time.

    The Serbian defeated Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-3 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-5) at Rod Laver Arena on Sunday to draw level with Rafael Nadal on 22 grand slam crowns – a joint-record for male players.

    Djokovic dropped just one set across his seven matches in a dominant display down under, coming a year on from being deported from the country ahead of the 2022 edition.

    He was denied the opportunity to defend his title following a row over his COVID-19 vaccination status, which also saw him banned from entering the country until 2025.

    However, he had his visa ban overturned in November and made up for lost time, with his straight-sets win against Tsitsipas also seeing him regain the world number one spot.

    Djokovic broke down in tears after sealing victory in a little under three hours and then gave an emotional speech in his on-court interview.

    "This has been one of the most challenging tournaments I have ever played in my life considering the circumstances, not playing last year, coming back this year," he said.

    "I want to thank all the people who made me feel welcome, made me feel comfortable to be in Melbourne and to be in Australia. 

    "There is a reason why I have played my best tennis throughout my career in this arena. I try to pinch myself and really live through these moments. 

    "It's a long journey. Only the team and the family knows what we have been through in the last four or five weeks.

    "I would say this is probably the biggest victory of my life, considering those circumstances. Thank you so much – and hopefully see you next year."

     

    Djokovic landed his first Australian Open title 15 years ago and has now won 28 matches in a row at his favourite tournament.

    At 35 years, he is the third-oldest male in the Open Era to win the Australian Open singles title after Ken Rosewall and Roger Federer, another of his long-time rivals.

    Tsitsipas labelled his opponent as the greatest of all time after the match, and Djokovic also had some kind words to share as he backed the Greek to challenge in more majors.

    "Thanks so much for being so kind and respectful," Djokovic said. "On the court we are fierce competitors, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't respect each other.

    "I congratulate you on an amazing tournament. Tough luck tonight. This will not be your last grand slam final, you have a lot of time. 

    "You are one of the most professional players I know on the tour, and one of the most interesting."

    Djokovic, whose 93 ATP titles is the fourth most of any male in the Open Era, added: "I'd like to finish off by commenting something on Greece and Serbia. 

    "We are two relatively small countries that don't really have a tennis tradition. We didn't really have players to look up to.

    "I think the message for any young tennis player around the world watching this now, dreaming to be where we are now, dream big. Anything is possible. 

    "Don't let anyone take away the dream. It doesn't matter where you're coming from. I think the more disadvantaged a childhood you have, the stronger you become.

    "We are the proof of that. Don't let anybody take that dream away from you. Water it like you would water the flowers. 

    "Even if you can only find one person in the world that supports you, dream big and you can make it."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.