Rumour Has It: Liverpool interested in Ramos, Real Madrid line up Zidane successor

By Sports Desk January 08, 2021

Liverpool are reportedly interested in Sergio Ramos, while Real Madrid have a successor for Zinedine Zidane lined up.

Premier League champions Liverpool are linked with centre-backs due to long-term injuries to Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez.

And Ramos is apparently a target.

 

TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL INTERESTED IN RAMOS

Liverpool are interested in Real Madrid defender Ramos, according to El Chiringuito.

The 34-year-old's future at Madrid is uncertain with his contract expiring at the end of the season.

Also at Liverpool, Fabrizio Romano reports they are yet to open talks to sign Lille defender Sven Botman.

 

ROUND-UP

- Zidane was under pressure at Real Madrid earlier in the season, and the LaLiga giants have his replacement in mind. AS reports Raul – who is in charge of Real Madrid Castilla – is seen as the natural heir to the Frenchman.

Christian Eriksen is expected to leave Inter, but just where to remains to be seen. CalcioMercato reports the Serie A giants are yet to receive an offer for the midfielder, who has been linked to Paris Saint-Germain and Arsenal.

- With Diego Costa having departed, Atletico Madrid are said to be looking for another forward. The Daily Mail reports Napoli striker Arkadiusz Milik is at the top of their list, while Espanyol's Raul de Tomas and Real Betis' Loren Moron are of interest.

Manchester City are linked to Barcelona star Lionel Messi, but they may have a younger version to target. talkSPORT reports the Premier League club are plotting a move for 17-year-old Estudiantes winger Dario Sarmiento, who has been dubbed "mini Messi".

- Sergio Romero looks set to leave Manchester United. The Manchester Evening News reports the goalkeeper has bid farewell to his team-mates ahead of an expected move to Boca Juniors.

Related items

  • Senegal defended by CAF medical doctor for handling of Mane head injury Senegal defended by CAF medical doctor for handling of Mane head injury

    Senegal have been defended by Confederation of African Football (CAF) medical doctor Dr. Thulani Ngwenya for their handling of Sadio Mane's head injury against Cape Verde.

    Mane received a nasty blow to the head in a collision with opposition goalkeeper Vozinha – who was sent off after a VAR review – in Tuesday's Africa Cup of Nations last-16 tie.

    The Liverpool forward was given treatment on the field but was allowed to stay on and subsequently curled in a brilliant opener for Senegal, who went on to win 2-0.

    However, Mane collapsed to the ground when celebrating his goal and was taken off shortly afterwards before being assessed at hospital.

    He later took to social media to assure worried supporters that "all is well", but brain injury association Headway criticised Senegal for allowing Mane to play on after the collision.

    "On the face of it, this seems to be yet another example of football putting results ahead of player safety," said Luke Griggs, deputy chief executive of Headway.

    "This was a sickening collision that clearly left both players in enough distress for a concussion to have surely been considered a possibility at the very least.

    "At that point, the principle of 'if in doubt, sit it out!' should have resulted in Mane being substituted without another ball being kicked."

    Griggs added: "This is now a real test of leadership for CAF and world governing body FIFA – particularly if Senegal declare Mane fit for Sunday's quarter-final.

    "If football wants to be taken seriously when it comes to concussion, it simply must take action to enforce and strengthen its protocols."

    But Dr. Ngwenya insisted Mane is in good hands with the Senegal medical team, who remain in dialogue with Premier League side Liverpool.

    "We have a very capable medical team. Senegal have two team doctors, who are highly commended," Dr. Ngwenya is quoted as saying by Sky Sports.

    "I know the team doctors are responsible, so they communicate with the club and I understand that they have actually communicated with Liverpool.

    "What I know is that after taking Mane for further investigations, we scanned the head and there was no structural damage, but that does not rule out concussion. 

    "I'm confident that my colleagues are taking care of the player and the player was in good spirits when I saw him in the hospital."

    Dr. Ngwenya added: "I've heard people say, 'why wasn't he removed from the game?' The medical assessment is based on what you see and assess at that particular time. 

    "The medical team spent quite a significant amount of time assessing Mane.

    "It might have been during the assessment the medical team came to a decision it was just a head collision, not concussion because they couldn't pick up anything that was concussion.

    "We need to give the benefit of the doubt to them because you can make an assessment at the time and then two minutes later it's different. 

    "But when I went in there were features of concussion, hence it was easy for me to actually make that call to say we need to remove the player out of the game.

    "The player is not capacitated to make a decision because they are confused, so it's you as a doctor that needs to make a decision on their behalf."

    Mane posted an image of himself back in the gym on his personal Instagram account on Thursday, accompanied by the caption "recovering".

    Despite potentially suffering from concussion after the sickening blow, he has not been ruled out of Senegal's quarter-final against Equatorial Guinea on Sunday.

    "I'm not sure if he will be available for the next match. When you look at the protocols, I don't know whether he will be ready. I can't make that assessment," Ngwenya said.

    "That judgement can only be made by the team doctors that are managing him on a daily basis."

  • Arsenal in 'pretty strong' position to sign USA goalkeeper Turner, says Arena Arsenal in 'pretty strong' position to sign USA goalkeeper Turner, says Arena

    Arsenal have a "pretty strong" chance of completing a deal for United States goalkeeper Matt Turner, according to New England Revolution coach and sporting director Bruce Arena.

    Turner was voted MLS Goalkeeper of the Year in 2021 after helping the Revs to Supporters' Shield success, though his side fell short in the playoffs with defeat to New York City in the Eastern Conference semi-finals.

    The 27-year-old joined the Revs as a free agent in 2016 after going undrafted and has been a regular for the past four seasons, racking up 97 MLS appearances over that time, including 28 last year when recording five clean sheets.

    Arsenal have recently been linked with the USA international, who has been capped 13 times by his country, and Revs chief Arena has confirmed talks are ongoing between the two teams.

    However, a transfer is not expected to go through this month, with Arsenal instead expected to wait until the end of the Premier League campaign before bringing in Turner – potentially to replace Bernd Leno, the back-up to Aaron Ramsdale.

    "As speculated, there's a chance we could lose Matt Turner," Arena told the Sports Hub on 98.5 radio.

    "If things work out the right way, we will lose him in the summer. We are in negotiations with Arsenal to complete the transfer. The likelihood of that happening is pretty strong."

    Arsenal will reportedly pay an initial £4.5million ($6m) for Turner in a deal that could rise to £7.5m ($10m) with add-ons, which is the same amount Manchester City agreed to pay Columbus Crew for international rival Zack Steffen in 2019.

    The delayed move for Turner may now see Leno stay in place for the remainder of the season.

    Should he complete a switch, Turner will become the fifth American to sign for Arsenal after Gedion Zelalem, Danny Karbassiyoon, Frank Simek and Doug Farquhar.

  • Inter complete signing of Robin Gosens from Atalanta Inter complete signing of Robin Gosens from Atalanta

    Robin Gosens has completed a move to Inter from Atalanta on loan with an obligation to buy for a reported €25million.

    Gosens signed for Atalanta in 2017 from Dutch outfit Heracles for just over €1m and made over 150 appearances for the Bergamo club in all competitions, scoring 29 goals and assisting 20.

    The Germany international is believed to have already agreed a four-and-a-half year deal with the Nerazzurri, and told the club's official website that he is eager to get going.

    "I'm so proud to have joined one of the biggest clubs in Europe. I'm thrilled to be here and can't wait to get started."

     

    The 27-year-old also mentioned his connection to Alessandro Bastoni, who he is reunited with once against having previously played with him at Atalanta.

    "We've been speaking almost every day, not just now," Gosens added. "Even two or three years ago, he told me it was a great club and how proud you feel to play for Inter.

    "It wasn't a difficult decision for me. I didn't need any convincing because I also know it's a huge club. He told me about the club's history, the team, the way you work here and I'm pleased to have spoken to him."

    Gosens has spent a large part of this season on the sidelines with a muscle injury, but scored 11 times in Serie A last season despite playing the majority of games at left wing-back.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.