Musiala will be an 'important cornerstone' in Bayern's future, says Kahn

By Sports Desk December 06, 2022

Bayern Munich CEO Oliver Kahn believes Jamal Musiala will be an "important cornerstone" in the club's future, with the Bavarian giants eager to secure the teenager's long-term services.

Musiala has enjoyed an impressive start to the Bundesliga season, scoring nine goals and providing six assists, with his 15 goal involvements the most registered by any teenager across Europe's top five leagues.

The Germany international, whose tally is also just two shy of Paris Saint-Germain's Lionel Messi (17 - seven goals, 10 assists), is under contract with Bayern until 2026, though Kahn does not want the 19-year-old to be tempted away from the Allianz Arena.

"Jamal has enormous qualities that he's showing consistently at a high level at 19," the former goalkeeper said. "He's also very ambitious and always wants to improve. We're glad we have him. Jamal will be an important cornerstone in the future of Bayern."

 

Musiala's performances provided a rare positive during Germany's disappointing World Cup campaign, with Die Nationalmannschaft exiting in the group stage for the second successive finals.

Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic believes the experience will benefit the youngster, with whom he soon hopes to open discussions regarding his future.

"Jamal was one of Germany's bright spots at the World Cup," he said. "Watching him play is simply fun.

"Playing at a World Cup was a valuable experience for him. Although the elimination is bitter, Jamal is 19 and still has many tournaments to play for Germany.

"Of course, we told Jamal's mother Carolin and his management before the World Cup that we're very happy with Jamal, and we let them know that we want to sit down with them after the tournament to talk about Jamal's further future at Bayern.

"We saw that he could transfer his performances at Bayern to the national team. We at Bayern will do everything to continue supporting him in his development."

Related items

  • Cavani, Godin and Uruguayan FA punished by FIFA for World Cup misbehaviour Cavani, Godin and Uruguayan FA punished by FIFA for World Cup misbehaviour

    Edinson Cavani and Diego Godin are among four players handed a suspension by FIFA for their furious reaction to Uruguay's World Cup exit last month.

    The Celeste failed to make it out of Group H in Qatar despite winning their last game 2-0 against Ghana, with South Korea advancing at their expense due to having scored more goals.

    Uruguay were fuming when Cavani was denied a late penalty after going down in the Ghana area and the Valencia striker pushed the VAR monitor over after the final whistle, while several of his team-mates surrounded referee Daniel Siebert.

    FIFA on Friday revealed Cavani and captain Godin have been hit with a one-match suspension, while they must also participate in community football service and pay a fine of CHF 15,000 (£13,140).

    Atletico Madrid defender Jose Gimenez and Galatasaray goalkeeper Fernando Muslera have been banned for four games by the world governing body, while they have been hit in the pocket to the tune of CHF 20,000 (£17,520) and also ordered to do community football service work.

    The FIFA disciplinary committee also found the Uruguayan FA was responsible for the discriminatory behaviour of its supporters at the December 2 game, as well as for the misconduct, offensive behaviour and violation of the principles of fair play shown by players.

    That will result in Uruguay playing their next game with a partial stadium closure, with no fans allowed behind the goals at each end, FIFA said in a statement.

    The Uruguayan FA has also been fined CHF 50,000 (£43,800).

  • Bernard Laporte quits as French rugby chief after corruption conviction Bernard Laporte quits as French rugby chief after corruption conviction

    Bernard Laporte resigned as president of the French Rugby Federation on Friday as his hopes of returning to power in time for the Rugby World Cup crumbled.

    The former France head coach stepped back from his latest position with the federation (FFR) in December after being given a two-year suspended prison sentence and a €75,000 fine for corruption.

    He denied wrongdoing and intends to appeal against his court punishments, which meant the FFR did not immediately oust Laporte and instead decided to render him effectively powerless pending the attempt to clear his name.

    Sports minister Amelie Oudea-Castera called for Laporte to go in December, however, and he chose to permanently step down in the wake of clubs this week voting against his choice of president-delegate, Patrick Buisson.

    Around 2,000 clubs took part in the vote, with 51.06 per cent saying they did not approve of Laporte proposing Buisson for the interim role.

    The Rugby World Cup gets under way in France in September, and Laporte, president since 2016, had appeared eager to be back in charge of the FFR by then.

    Les Bleus won the Grand Slam last year, and Laporte departs just eight days before the 2023 Six Nations begins.

    Reports said Laporte delivered news of his resignation to the FFR executive committee on Friday morning at a meeting in Marcoussis, on the outskirts of Paris.

    Oudea-Castera later told reporters: "I can give you confirmation of the resignation of Bernard Laporte. I welcome this decision, it was necessary at the end of this consultation in which the clubs were massively mobilised.

    "The ethics committee played its role of supervision in this time of consultation which went well with dignified debates. Bernard Laporte drew the conclusions, which is a good thing for French rugby, its values ​​and the future."

    Laporte stepped down from his role as vice-chairman of World Rugby within hours of his conviction in December, which also saw him banned from rugby involvement for two years pending the outcome of any appeal.

    Laporte was released without charge on Tuesday of this week after being detained as part of a tax fraud investigation.

    His lawyer, Jean-Pierre Versini-Campinchi, told the AFP news agency that Laporte had "neither been accused of having defrauded nor of having received any money".

  • More quality football on the horizon for regional teams as CONMEBOL and CONCACAF sign strategic collaboration agreement More quality football on the horizon for regional teams as CONMEBOL and CONCACAF sign strategic collaboration agreement

    CONMEBOL and Concacaf have announced the signing of a strategic collaboration agreement to strengthen and develop football in both regions. The agreement includes men's and women's national team competitions and a new men's club tournament.

    The CONMEBOL Copa America 2024 will be played in the United States in the summer of 2024 and will include 10 CONMEBOL teams and the six best Concacaf teams, as guests. This traditional CONMEBOL tournament will be co-organized by both confederations.

    The six Concacaf national teams will have the opportunity to qualify for this competition through the 2023/24 Concacaf Nations League.

    For CONMEBOL, this agreement will support its men's national teams in their preparation for the upcoming World Cup through an expanded Copa America featuring six elite Concacaf teams, organized in the region that will host the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

    Similarly, this agreement will allow Concacaf to provide more high-quality competition for its men's national teams over the next two years, including the conclusion of the 2022/23 Concacaf Nations League, the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup and the 2023/24 Concacaf Nations League.

    For women's national teams, Concacaf has invited the top four CONMEBOL national teams to participate in the 2024 Concacaf W Gold Cup. The inaugural edition of this 12-team tournament, which is a key part of Concacaf’s new women's national team ecosystem, will be played in the United States.

    The two Concacaf teams that will participate in the 2024 Summer Olympics (United States and Jamaica or Canada) will qualify directly for the 2024 Concacaf W Gold Cup. The remaining six Concacaf teams will be determined through the 2023 Road to Concacaf W Gold Cup.

    The four guest CONMEBOL teams that will participate have been determined based on the results of the 2022 Women’s Copa America: Brazil (champion) Colombia (runner-up), Argentina (third place) and Paraguay (fourth place).

    CONMEBOL and Concacaf will also organize a centralized "final four" style club competition featuring the best clubs from the respective confederations. The four participating teams (two from each confederation) will qualify through existing CONMEBOL and Concacaf club competitions and the two confederations are working towards the first edition of this tournament being played in 2024.

     “CONMEBOL and Concacaf are united by historical and affective ties. But above all, we are united by the passion, characteristic of all the Americas, for football and sports,” said CONMEBOL President Alejandro Domínguez.

    “We are determined to renew and expand our joint initiatives and projects. We want this passion to translate into more and better competitions and for football and its values to grow and strengthen throughout the hemisphere. Without a doubt, both confederations believe in big, and we will work with this orientation.”

    Meanwhile, Victor Montagliani, President of Concacaf, believes this new initiative will be a boon to both confederations.

    “This is a partnership to support the ongoing growth of men’s and women’s football in Concacaf and CONMEBOL, and will truly be of mutual benefit to both Confederations,” he said.

    “Working hand in hand with CONMEBOL, we will deliver elite competitions that will provide more opportunities for our federations, and that we know passionate fans want to see. We look forward to working together to ensure that football in both regions continues to thrive.”

     

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.