Chelsea announce Marcos Alonso departure after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang deal

By Sports Desk September 01, 2022

Chelsea have farewelled Spanish left-back Marcos Alonso, announcing on Thursday that it was "mutual consent" leading to his departure.

It has been widely reported that Alonso was included along with a €14million fee in exchange for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Barcelona, although the Spanish giants are yet to announce Alonso's arrival.

He totalled 29 goals and 23 assists over his six seasons, winning the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup, Europa League, Super Cup and Club World Cup in the process.

In the statement from Chelsea – which calls Alonso "a thoughtful and extremely likeable man off the pitch" – they highlight how he followed his father's and grandfather's footsteps in representing Spain on the international level.

"Deployed at left wing-back for 60 per cent of his 212 appearances, and at left-back for the rest, Alonso was confident in possession, strong in the air and an excellent set-piece taker," it reads.

"His performances for Chelsea earned him a call-up to the Spain squad for the first time in March 2018, following in his father’s and grandfather’s footsteps. The youngest Marcos Alonso leaves having represented his country on nine occasions.

"Everyone at Chelsea Football Club would like to thank Marcos for his service to the Blues and wish him all the very best for the rest of his career."

Related items

  • De Jong in the dark on how to stop Messi as Netherlands prepare for Argentina De Jong in the dark on how to stop Messi as Netherlands prepare for Argentina

    Frenkie de Jong says he has no inside track on how to stop his former Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi, as the Netherlands and Argentina prepare to meet in the World Cup.

    The two sides will square off in the quarter-finals at Qatar 2022, with Louis van Gaal's Oranje having beaten the United States and Lionel Scaloni's Albiceleste having felled Australia.

    With three goals so far this tournament - and in likely his last visit to the World Cup - Messi has netted three goals and ignited an otherwise hit-and-miss Argentina side.

    As the forward pursues the biggest honour to elude him across his trophy-laden career, Netherlands fans might have hoped De Jong would know how to stop his ex-colleague, but the Dutchman says that is not the case.

    "No," he told ESPN. "I know him, but I don't know how to stop him. He's been making the difference for 15 years and there is not one way to stop him.

    "Usually he would still make the difference during training too. We just have to stop him as a team.

    Asked if he had spoken to Messi since their clash was confirmed, De Jong added: "We haven't texted each other. I am not planning to. We will see each other on Friday."

    Having joined Barcelona in 2019, De Jong was a member of the Barca team that claimed the 2020-21 Copa del Rey alongside Messi, with both scoring in the final.

    The latter was on hand when Argentina beat the Netherlands in the 2014 World Cup semi-finals, before they were downed by Germany in the final, and De Jong is determined to ensure there is no repeat.

    "Argentina is of course a top team," he added. "But so are we. It will be a very good match, but I am confident. I think they look at us the same way. It's a 50-50 encounter."

  • In-demand defender Simakan extends RB Leipzig deal to 2027 In-demand defender Simakan extends RB Leipzig deal to 2027

    RB Leipzig have handed defender Mohamed Simakan a contract extension that runs to 2027 in a bid to ward off reported interest from several of Europe's biggest clubs.

    Simakan joined Leipzig from Strasbourg ahead of the 2021-22 season, playing a key role as the club won the DFB-Pokal for the first time in May.

    The likes of Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea and Tottenham were credited with an interest in Simakan in the last transfer window, after the 22-year-old made 28 Bundesliga appearances last term.

    But Simakan started 19 of Leipzig's 24 games before the World Cup break this campaign and he believes the club represents the ideal place for him to continue developing.

    "It was a big step for me when I arrived at the club a year and a half ago," he told the club's website. "I felt happy here from day one and I was welcomed with open arms. 

    "That is really important for me as it allows me to perform on the pitch and to develop in the best possible way. 

    "The club and the city have quickly become my second home and I’m quite simply delighted to be here. 

    "We have already achieved a lot in 2022 and I'm looking forward to everything that is still to come."

    Leipzig have recovered from a poor start to the season since Marco Rose replaced Domenico Tedesco as head coach in September. They trail Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich by six points after 15 games.

  • Dumfries' agent on price tag: I hope his value hasn't increased too much! Dumfries' agent on price tag: I hope his value hasn't increased too much!

    Denzel Dumfries' agent hopes the Inter defender's price tag has not increased too much as a result of his impressive performances for the Netherlands at the World Cup.

    The full-back has been a key figure for Louis van Gaal's side in Qatar where the Dutch have a quarter-final tie with Argentina to look forward to on Friday.

    Dumfries contributed two assists and a goal as the Netherlands defeated the United States 3-1 in the last 16, a performance that saw his stock rise even further.

    Premier League heavyweights Manchester United and Chelsea have been credited with an interest in the 26-year-old, though Inter are reportedly reluctant to see him leave.

    However, a report in Calciomercato stated any offer in excess of €50million may be enough to convince Inter to cash in.

    Dumfries' representative, Rafaela Pimenta, was asked about the possibility of his value rising due to his efforts in Qatar by Sky Sport Italia.

    She replied: "Let's hope not otherwise it will be more difficult to transfer him!"

    Inter headed into Serie A's break for the World Cup fifth in the table and 11 points adrift of leaders Napoli.

    Their first domestic game back is against the league leaders at San Siro on January 4.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.