Gakpo confirms Man Utd interest, but PSV forward trying to shut out the noise

By Sports Desk August 28, 2022

Cody Gakpo has claimed Manchester United "are a serious option" as the transfer window draws to a close.

The window shuts on Thursday, with United set to be one of the busier clubs.

Erik ten Hag's side are reportedly closing in on the signing of Ajax forward Antony, which could see them splash out £85million (€100m) on the 22-year-old.

Gakpo has also been mentioned as a target, with the winger – who plays for Ajax's rivals PSV – possessing a similar style to Antony.

On Sunday, Gakpo provided a timely reminder of his quality with two assists and a goal in a 6-1 rout of Excelsior, and subsequently suggested United are still interested in his services.

The 23-year-old also claimed United are one of several options, though he is not averse to staying at PSV.

"There are also other options, United are a serious option," he told ESPN. "I can hear it all. I try to shut myself off from it, but it's difficult.

"It's going to be hectic, I think. I can't say anything about it at the moment. As I said before, the whole picture has to be right. It is a puzzle and in the coming days I will see which puzzle fits best.

"For me it is certainly not a punishment to stay at PSV. I'll hear about it all in the coming days."

Asked if he had any thoughts on Antony's potential switch to United, Gakpo said: "It's nice for him, but it has no influence on me."

Related items

  • 'Marvellous' Ten Hag will need time to deliver Man Utd vision, says De Boer 'Marvellous' Ten Hag will need time to deliver Man Utd vision, says De Boer

    Erik ten Hag has done a "marvellous" job since taking charge at Manchester United, says former Netherlands midfielder Ronald de Boer.

    But the Dutchman says his compatriot will need time to fully implement his ideas and secure a full turnaround in fortunes for the Red Devils.

    Ten Hag succeeded interim boss Ralf Rangnick at the end of last season, and has weathered a slow start – plus the exit of Cristiano Ronaldo – to emerge with an enhanced reputation.

    With United fifth in the Premier League amid its mid-season break for the World Cup, De Boer believes the former Ajax boss has shown his mettle under the microscope to impress so far.

    "I think he has been marvellous," he told Sky Sports. "We're talking about the biggest league in the world.

    "Everybody has an opinion about Manchester United, not only in England but all over the world. I must say he's coping very well.

    "He's had to make some decisions, and I think if you just look from the outside, they're starting to play better. I think you give him time."

    Despite an upturn in both mood and form for United, the likelihood of a silverware challenge already looks slim, with the club 11 points off Premier League leaders Arsenal.

    But De Boer pointed to both Ten Hag's prior record and that of Gunners boss Mikel Arteta, who has also battled criticism for underachievement during his tenure, only to now be leading a title charge.

    "He had a great four years at Ajax with an unbelievable amount of trophies, so give him time," he reinforced. "Look at Mikel Arteta.

    "He had the worst team in the history of Arsenal, and now he's maybe the second-best manager after [Manchester City boss Pep] Guardiola.

    "I think [Ten Hag has] shown the quality. I believe heavily in Erik ten Hag."

  • No Ronaldo move for Bayern Munich after Man Utd exit, stresses CEO Kahn No Ronaldo move for Bayern Munich after Man Utd exit, stresses CEO Kahn

    Free agent Cristiano Ronaldo will not be joining Bayern Munich, says chief executive officer Oliver Kahn, despite acknowledging "we all love" the forward.

    Portugal captain Ronaldo will be on the hunt for a new club after his exit from Manchester United, which has come less than 18 months after his return to Old Trafford.

    With the attacker's focus firmly on the World Cup, his next steps are not yet known, though that has not stopped him from being linked to a slew of leading sides across the globe.

    One club he will not be headed to, however, is Bayern, with Kahn reiterating there is no place for Ronaldo in the make-up of Julian Nagelsmann's team.

    "We have already dealt with this [speculation]," Kahn told Sky Sport Germany. "We have a clear idea, a clear philosophy of how our squad should be put together.

    "We all appreciate him, there's no discussion. We all love Cristiano Ronaldo, but that's something that doesn't fit into our idea."

    Kahn sidestepped speculation over Bayern's reported long-term interest in England captain Harry Kane, with the Tottenham forward frequently mooted as a target.

    "Of course he's a very good player, but there are also many other very good players," Kahn said. "I've read that everywhere, Oliver Kahn and Harry Kane.

    "We deal with many, many players, and it is not okay to talk about players who are signed to other clubs. We have a very good squad that is doing an excellent job at the moment."

    Bayern sit four points clear at the top of the Bundesliga, ahead of Freiburg, and topped their Champions League group earlier this season with a perfect record of six wins from six matches.

  • Rumour Has It: Chelsea on verge of finalising £52m Nkunku deal after reaching Leipzig agreement Rumour Has It: Chelsea on verge of finalising £52m Nkunku deal after reaching Leipzig agreement

    Christopher Nkunku has long been inked with Chelsea, with reports he had undergone a medical in September.

    The 25-year-old Frenchman netted 20 goals in the Bundesliga last season and already has 12 this term.

    The Blues are undergoing a period of change under owner Todd Boehly and new head coach Graham Potter – and could be about to land a big-name target.

     

    TOP STORY - NKUNKU'S CHELSEA DEAL SET TO BE SIGNED

    Chelsea are on the cusp of finalising the deal for RB Leipzig forward Nkunku with contracts set to be signed, reports Fabrizio Romano.

    The Blues have reached an agreement with Nkunku's German club Leipzig for more than £52million (€60m).

    Nkunku, who was ruled out of the World Cup earlier this month due to a knee injury, will apparently pen a long-term deal starting from June 2023.

    ROUND-UP

    - ESPN has reported that  Lionel Messi has not agreed to a deal to join Inter Miami from Paris Saint-Germain following reports that he is on the verge of a deal with the Major League Soccer club.

    Chelsea are reportedly not willing to let Christian Pulisic depart on loan in January, amid links with Premier League trio Manchester United, Newcastle United and Arsenal. The Blues would prefer a permanent deal for the United States international.

    - Sky Sport's Florian Plettenberg claims RB Leipzig's Konrad Laimer has reached a verbal agreement to join Bayern Munich at the end of this season, with a view to a long-term deal until 2027.

    Edin Dzeko is set to earn a new one-year deal with Inter, according to Gazzetta. But the 36-year-old must accept a pay cut, from about €5.5m to €3m per season (plus bonuses).

    - Ecuador international midfielder Moises Caicedo, who is currently on Brighton and Hove Albion's books, is drawing interest from Manchester United, claims Sky Germany.

    - Fabrizio Romano reports Brighton are in talks with Molde to sign 19-year-old Ivorian striker David Datro Fofana. The Norwegian club want more than €10m (£8.6m) for him.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.