Rumour Has It: Newcastle United eye four Chelsea players, headlined by Conor Gallagher

By Sports Desk August 17, 2022

Newcastle United are reportedly engaged in discussions with Chelsea about a quartet of players, with the club said to be interested in Conor Gallagher, Christian Pulisic, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Armando Broja.

Pulisic is the oldest of the four players at 23, and while that could mean Newcastle are looking for long-term building blocks, they are said to be interested in securing one on a loan deal, with a report from The Evening Standard indicating that would be Hudson-Odoi.

The St James' Park club have been relatively unsuccessful this transfer window, with goalkeeper Nick Pope and centre-back Sven Botman highlighting their business thus far, but they could change that quickly if Chelsea are willing to play ball.

 

TOP STORY – THE MAGPIES TURN TO STAMFORD BRIDGE FOR REINFORCEMENTS

According to The Telegraph, there is "widespread belief that several players at Stamford Bridge will be offloaded in the last few days of the window", and Newcastle are making sure they are in prime position to take advantage.

The report also mentions that the club are hampered by financial fair play rules, and despite their wealth, they will likely only be able to sign one player on a permanent basis, adding importance to the potential loan of Hudson-Odoi.

In another recent report from The Sun, it claims Newcastle view Conor Gallagher as their top overall target, although he would likely be the most expensive of the quartet at more than £40million.

 

ROUND-UP

Atletico Madrid would be willing to swap one of Antoine Griezmann or Alvaro Morata to Manchester United in exchange for Cristiano Ronaldo, according to The Times.

– Marca is reporting United are also interested in Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro, although SB Nation's Lucas Navarrete claims it would take an "impossible to reject" offer to make Madrid budge.

– According to Foot Mercato, Nice are in talks with Arsenal about a loan move for Nicolas Pepe.

– Mundo Deportivo claims 21-year-old American right-back Sergino Dest "is feeling pressured" to leave Barcelona as they search for another full-back, and United are said to be a potential landing spot.

– Sky Sports are reporting West Ham are hoping to complete a £10.1m move for Paris Saint-Germain defender Thilo Kehrer in time for Thursday's Europa Conference League tie against Viborg FF.

Related items

  • 'Marvellous' Ten Hag will need time to deliver Man Utd vision, says De Boer 'Marvellous' Ten Hag will need time to deliver Man Utd vision, says De Boer

    Erik ten Hag has done a "marvellous" job since taking charge at Manchester United, says former Netherlands midfielder Ronald de Boer.

    But the Dutchman says his compatriot will need time to fully implement his ideas and secure a full turnaround in fortunes for the Red Devils.

    Ten Hag succeeded interim boss Ralf Rangnick at the end of last season, and has weathered a slow start – plus the exit of Cristiano Ronaldo – to emerge with an enhanced reputation.

    With United fifth in the Premier League amid its mid-season break for the World Cup, De Boer believes the former Ajax boss has shown his mettle under the microscope to impress so far.

    "I think he has been marvellous," he told Sky Sports. "We're talking about the biggest league in the world.

    "Everybody has an opinion about Manchester United, not only in England but all over the world. I must say he's coping very well.

    "He's had to make some decisions, and I think if you just look from the outside, they're starting to play better. I think you give him time."

    Despite an upturn in both mood and form for United, the likelihood of a silverware challenge already looks slim, with the club 11 points off Premier League leaders Arsenal.

    But De Boer pointed to both Ten Hag's prior record and that of Gunners boss Mikel Arteta, who has also battled criticism for underachievement during his tenure, only to now be leading a title charge.

    "He had a great four years at Ajax with an unbelievable amount of trophies, so give him time," he reinforced. "Look at Mikel Arteta.

    "He had the worst team in the history of Arsenal, and now he's maybe the second-best manager after [Manchester City boss Pep] Guardiola.

    "I think [Ten Hag has] shown the quality. I believe heavily in Erik ten Hag."

  • Morata content with bench role if it means Spain go all the way Morata content with bench role if it means Spain go all the way

    Alvaro Morata would be content to start each of Spain's World Cup games on the substitutes' bench if it meant La Roja won the tournament.

    Atletico Madrid striker Morata has come off the bench in both of his country's games in Qatar so far, scoring in the win over Costa Rica and the draw with Germany.

    Those four points mean Luis Enrique's side need only a point against Japan on Thursday to qualify for the knockout stage.

    Should he not be selected in the starting XI for that match, Morata insists he will have no complaints and will gladly cheer his team-mates on.

    "At club level you've got more time to train, more space, and obviously, you want to play," he told Onda Cero. "But here, I can assure you that it doesn't bother to me at all [to be a substitute].

    "In fact, if I had to choose coming on from the bench in all the games, or even not playing, but the team wins the World Cup, I would sign up for it. I would cheer the team on from the bench.

    "In the end, we have a goal, a dream, and all of us feel important. Everyone is important in different ways. All of us are important and everyone has his function.

    "Many players who don't play can be the ones who give more to the group. Historically, it has been like that in the national team.

    "I always give an example to the people that want to play but don't play as much as they want. They have to look at Pepe Reina and Iker Casillas.

    "They were here [previous World Cups] without playing, but they always gave their best, so they are examples to follow, and they got the credit that they deserved, whether they played or not."

    Morata is Spain's joint-fifth highest scorer of all time with 29 goals, yet he has often been criticised by supporters.

    The 30-year-old admits he has spent too much time listening to other people's opinions of him, but says his own criticism has been the most damaging.

    "I enjoy doing my job," he added. "People can call me crazy, but I have spent maybe eight or nine years of a career that can last 15, thinking about what, how, and when people say.

    "A person has to be happy as he is, assume the good and bad things, and don't let anyone take away your happiness.

    "If there is one thing I regret in my professional career and in my life, it is having been my own worst enemy many times."

  • FIFA denies Ronaldo record-equalling World Cup goal following use of Adidas technology FIFA denies Ronaldo record-equalling World Cup goal following use of Adidas technology

    FIFA has confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo did not score Portugal's first goal in Monday's win over Uruguay after Adidas' match ball technology revealed there was no touch on Bruno Fernandes' cross.

    Ronaldo was initially thought to have scored his ninth World Cup goal when he attempted to meet Fernandes' inswinging delivery with a glancing header, putting Portugal on course for a 2-0 win. 

    The five-time Ballon d'Or winner celebrated the strike wildly, though FIFA later intervened to award Fernandes with his first World Cup goal.

    Fernandes later made the points safe from the penalty spot as Portugal confirmed their place in the last 16, and the use of technology from match ball suppliers Adidas means his brace will stand.

    A statement from FIFA provided to ESPN read: "In the match between Portugal and Uruguay, using the Connected Ball Technology housed in Adidas's Al Rihla official match ball, we are able to definitively show no contact on the ball from Cristiano Ronaldo for the opening goal in the game.

    "No external force on the ball could be measured as shown by the lack of 'heartbeat' in our measurements. The 500Hz IMU sensor inside the ball allows us to be highly accurate in our analysis."

    Speaking after the win, Fernandes said the identity of Portugal's first goalscorer was unimportant but outlined his initial belief that Ronaldo had touched the ball.

    However, FIFA's ruling means Fernandes has scored seven international goals in 2022, more than twice as many as any Portugal team-mate, with Ronaldo hitting the net three times for his country.

    Meanwhile, Fernandes' former Manchester United team-mate remains one goal shy of matching Eusebio's all-time record of nine goals for Portugal at the World Cup finals – all of which came at the 1966 tournament.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.