'We want him to stay at Barcelona' – Barca president Joan Laporta confirms plan to keep De Jong

By Sports Desk August 07, 2022

Frenkie de Jong appears likely to remain at Barcelona for this season, if the comments from club president Joan Laporta after their side's 6-0 pre-season win against Pumas are to be believed.

De Jong scored the sixth goal in the rout, coming off the bench at half-time and finding the net in the 84th minute.

He has been one of the main names featured in transfer rumours this off-season, with Barcelona's questionable finances making it seem like the club would have to part ways with the 25-year-old Dutch international to fund their sizeable moves for Leeds United winger Raphinha, Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski and Sevilla centre-back Jules Kounde.

However, having been outspoken about his desire to remain at Camp Nou, it now seems more likely he will not be sold during this transfer window, with Laporta saying before the match against Pumas that it is what both parties want.

"Frenkie is our player and we want him to stay at Barcelona," he said. "He wants to stay, too.

"With him and his teammates, we have a very powerful midfield. He has offers, but we want him to stay."

After the match, Xavi was less emphatic about De Jong's future when interviewed by TV3, but insisted that he's "counting on" the midfielder this season.

"I don’t know what will happen to Frenkie, as until August 31st anything can happen," he said.

"He knows what I think, and what the club want and need. Of course I’m counting on him, he’s a great player."

Barcelona will open their LaLiga campaign at home against Rayo Vallecano on Saturday.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Bayern plotting shock swoop for Chelsea flop Lukaku Rumour Has It: Bayern plotting shock swoop for Chelsea flop Lukaku

    Chelsea seem to have resigned themselves to making a major loss on Romelu Lukaku, who has only netted five times on loan at Inter this term.

    According to a Football Insider report, the Blues are ready to move him on in at the end of the season, with Inter unlikely to try to extend his stay in Milan.

    Chelsea spent £97.5milion to bring Lukaku back to Stamford Bridge in August 2021, but they are unlikely to get anywhere near that now.

    TOP STORY – GERMAN CHAMPIONS LINE UP SHOCK LUKAKU MOVE

    Bayern Munich are lining up a shock move for Chelsea's Romelu Lukaku to bolster their attacking options, claims Fichajes.

    The report claims Bayern boss Julian Nagelsmann is an admirer of the Belgium striker, who he believes is one of the world's best forwards if injury free.

    Bayern will not commence negotiations with Chelsea until the end of the season. The German champions had been linked with Harry Kane as they look for someone to replace Robert Lewandowski, who left for Barcelona last year.

    Calciomercato reports that Chelsea may try to land a deal with Roma with a swap deal involving Tammy Abraham.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – 90min claims Manchester City have reignited their interest in signing 19-year-old Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Florian Wirtz following a long-term knee injury which forced him to miss the 2022 World Cup. Fabrizio Romano claims Real Madrid will compete for the German's services too.

    Tottenham are interested in Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson, reports ESPN. Henderson is currently on loan at Nottingham Forest from United, who could use Spurs' interest as leverage in a deal for Harry Kane, per the report

    – Leeds United forward Wilfried Gnonto is drawing interest from Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City, according to Gazzetta dello Sport, while 90min claims Juventus and Napoli are among a list of Italian clubs tracking him too.

    – Fabrizio Romano claims Barcelona on the cusp of agreeing to a deal with Athletic Bilbao centre-back Inigo Martinez to join the Blaugrana on a free transfer in the off-season.

    – Paris Saint-Germain are prepared to let Portuguese midfielder Renato Sanches exit amid interest from Milan along with Premier League clubs Aston Villa, Liverpool, Newcastle United, Tottenham and Wolves, reports 90min.

    – Football London reports Arsenal are ready to ramp up their interest in Real Sociedad midfielder Martin Zubimendi with a bid to come in the coming months, although he has a €60m release clause in his contract.

  • Weghorst grateful for Ten Hag support: 'It shows I am doing a good job' Weghorst grateful for Ten Hag support: 'It shows I am doing a good job'

    Wout Weghorst feels he is "doing a good job" for Manchester United after becoming a regular under Erik ten Hag.

    The Netherlands international has started all 18 of United's games since joining on loan from Burnley in January – only Bruno Fernandes has been selected as many times.

    He has scored just two goals so far, while assisting three more, leading to questions being asked whether the 30-year-old is the best option up top for United.

    However, having played his part in United's EFL Cup triumph and helped them advance in the FA Cup and Europa League, Weghorst is pleased with what he has achieved so far.

    "That's a lot of matches and it shows the trust in me," Weghorst said when asked about the number of games he has started. "It also shows I am doing a good job for the team. 

    "That was the thing I wanted when I came here – to contribute and try and help the club to be successful, to win trophies.

    "We have one now. We have two more to go with the Europa League and FA Cup, and we want to get as high as possible in the table and definitely reach the Champions League.

    "So it just shows me that I am being part of it. And being part of us being successful and that appreciation, that’s a good thing."

     

    United will take on Brighton and Hove Albion in next month's FA Cup semi-final at Wembley, while Sevilla await in the quarter-finals of the Europa League.

    Weghorst played 70 minutes of last month's 2-0 EFL Cup final win against Newcastle United and led the way for shots (three) and aerial duels contested (seven), as well as assisting Marcus Rashford for United's second goal.

    "The match against Newcastle at Wembley was a great experience. There was a lovely atmosphere in the stadium; it has something special," he said.

    "We want to win trophies. The one we have now just showed us that we can do it again; we are all hungry for more, all of us."

    Weghorst is currently away on international duty with the Netherlands, who face France in their opening Euro 2024 qualifier on Friday before hosting Gibraltar three days later.

  • Rabiot calm over Juventus future with all options open Rabiot calm over Juventus future with all options open

    France midfielder Adrien Rabiot would not suggest whether he plans to remain at Juventus despite his contract only running until the end of the season.

    The Bianconeri are still fighting in the Europa League and Coppa Italia, after a 15-point deduction derailed their league campaign.

    Rabiot insisted he is focused on the remainder of Juve's season rather than being drawn on his personal position in a Tuttosport interview.

    He said: "My future? For the moment there is no news, but we will definitely talk soon, because in about two months the season will be over and we will try to discuss [it], but I'm calm.

    "There is the possibility of leaving but also the possibility of signing a new contract with Juve.

    "I feel good in Turin, I do a good job at the club and there is a good relationship with the management, my team-mates and the coach, who has also helped me.

    "I believe all of this is important to feel good and therefore make the right choice for my future."

    Rabiot might well have left Juve last year, when he reportedly came close to joining Manchester United, though a move to Old Trafford fell through.

    After a difficult start to the season, Juve had thrust themselves into the Serie A title race. However, their chances were ended by a 15-point deduction due to financial irregularities.

    As a result, Juve went into the international break in seventh, seven points behind fourth-placed Milan with 11 games remaining.

    Rabiot added: "Without the 15 points [deduction] we would be able to qualify for the Champions League.

    "But honestly, I say that we could qualify even if the penalty were to remain. I believe it.

    "We are focussed on all fronts and clearly the Europa League is something we will try and win.

    "There are still many good teams left, but we want to achieve something important. I'm confident we can win both the Europa League and the Coppa.

    "We are having a complicated season for all the reasons that are known, but I believe that despite this, we are able to win.

    "In fact, to be honest, I can also say that succeeding would give us even greater satisfaction."

    Juve's second game after the international break is the first leg of their Coppa semi-final against Inter, with the Bianconeri having beaten Simone Inzaghi's side at the San Siro in Serie A to round off their pre-break fixtures.

    "The lads in the team have a lot of desire to win, also because it is the historical spirit of Juventus," Rabiot said.

    "The DNA of the club is clear, and we all want to pass it on to those who arrive.

    "If I have to tell the truth, the impression I got on Sunday is, Inter is a team less strong than the one we faced in Turin.

    "They also seemed less strong than last year. I had the feeling that they felt less confidence."

    Rabiot's initial focus is on France, with Les Bleus facing the Netherlands and the Republic of Ireland in Euro 2024 qualifiers over the coming days.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.