Rudiger impressed with Real Madrid's 'unbelievable' Champions League win

By Sports Desk June 20, 2022

Antonio Rudiger has hailed Real Madrid for their 'unbelievable' Champions League victory – and expressed his delight that they defeated Liverpool.

The Germany international has signed a four-year contract with Madrid following the expiration of his deal with Chelsea and becomes the club's first major signing of the window.

At the time of the final in Paris, Rudiger revealed that his decision to join Carlo Ancelotti's side was already made and he was supporting his future team-mates.

However, he also wanted Madrid to beat Liverpool as Jurgen Klopp's side had inflicted defeat upon Rudiger and Chelsea in two finals in the 2021-22 season in the League Cup and FA Cup.

"When the final was played I already knew I would play for Madrid and I cheered on Madrid. This Champions League has been incredible," he told a news conference.

"What Real Madrid did in the Champions League, I don't know how to describe. It was unbelievable.

"I lost two finals against Liverpool, so I was very happy Real Madrid beat them."

Madrid's route to Champions League success saw them stage a series of remarkable comebacks in the knockout stages.

Chelsea fell victim to one such turnaround as they lost 5-4 on aggregate in the last eight despite leading 3-0 at the Santiago Bernabeu in the second leg. Rodrygo Goes sent the tie to extra time, which saw Karim Benzema score the decisive goal. 

"It was a special match, very intense. It was my first time playing at the Bernabeu and for me it was incredible emotions," Rudiger added of that game.

"After the third goal there was still a good atmosphere in the stadium. I took a lot of emotions and today is an incredible day for me.

"When I played against Madrid I wasn't closed yet. My goal was to eliminate Madrid, I'm a professional. It was easy for me to concentrate."

Related items

  • Liverpool complain to UEFA and Real Madrid over Champions League ticket allocation Liverpool complain to UEFA and Real Madrid over Champions League ticket allocation

    Liverpool have contacted UEFA and Real Madrid to complain about their ticket allocation for March's Champions League last-16 clash at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Jurgen Klopp's team were drawn to face the holders in a repeat of last season's final after finishing second to Serie A leaders Napoli in Group A last month.

    UEFA regulations say visiting teams are entitled to at least five per cent of tickets for Champions League matches, and reports suggest Madrid took the decision for March 15's second leg due to the impact of renovations at their historic home.

    However, a statement from Liverpool on Tuesday said their initial allocation of just 1,800 tickets was still "significantly less than expected" for the game.

    The statement continued: "The club has contacted UEFA and Real Madrid regarding the reduced allocation to understand the rationale behind this decision.

    "LFC will provide supporters with an update when the ticket allocation has been confirmed."

    Liverpool's 1-0 defeat to Madrid at the Stade de France in May was overshadowed by the breakdown of security outside the stadium in Paris, with fans of the English club complaining of heavy-handed policing as kick-off was twice delayed.

  • De Jong in the dark on how to stop Messi as Netherlands prepare for Argentina De Jong in the dark on how to stop Messi as Netherlands prepare for Argentina

    Frenkie de Jong says he has no inside track on how to stop his former Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi, as the Netherlands and Argentina prepare to meet in the World Cup.

    The two sides will square off in the quarter-finals at Qatar 2022, with Louis van Gaal's Oranje having beaten the United States and Lionel Scaloni's Albiceleste having felled Australia.

    With three goals so far this tournament - and in likely his last visit to the World Cup - Messi has netted three goals and ignited an otherwise hit-and-miss Argentina side.

    As the forward pursues the biggest honour to elude him across his trophy-laden career, Netherlands fans might have hoped De Jong would know how to stop his ex-colleague, but the Dutchman says that is not the case.

    "No," he told ESPN. "I know him, but I don't know how to stop him. He's been making the difference for 15 years and there is not one way to stop him.

    "Usually he would still make the difference during training too. We just have to stop him as a team.

    Asked if he had spoken to Messi since their clash was confirmed, De Jong added: "We haven't texted each other. I am not planning to. We will see each other on Friday."

    Having joined Barcelona in 2019, De Jong was a member of the Barca team that claimed the 2020-21 Copa del Rey alongside Messi, with both scoring in the final.

    The latter was on hand when Argentina beat the Netherlands in the 2014 World Cup semi-finals, before they were downed by Germany in the final, and De Jong is determined to ensure there is no repeat.

    "Argentina is of course a top team," he added. "But so are we. It will be a very good match, but I am confident. I think they look at us the same way. It's a 50-50 encounter."

  • In-demand defender Simakan extends RB Leipzig deal to 2027 In-demand defender Simakan extends RB Leipzig deal to 2027

    RB Leipzig have handed defender Mohamed Simakan a contract extension that runs to 2027 in a bid to ward off reported interest from several of Europe's biggest clubs.

    Simakan joined Leipzig from Strasbourg ahead of the 2021-22 season, playing a key role as the club won the DFB-Pokal for the first time in May.

    The likes of Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea and Tottenham were credited with an interest in Simakan in the last transfer window, after the 22-year-old made 28 Bundesliga appearances last term.

    But Simakan started 19 of Leipzig's 24 games before the World Cup break this campaign and he believes the club represents the ideal place for him to continue developing.

    "It was a big step for me when I arrived at the club a year and a half ago," he told the club's website. "I felt happy here from day one and I was welcomed with open arms. 

    "That is really important for me as it allows me to perform on the pitch and to develop in the best possible way. 

    "The club and the city have quickly become my second home and I’m quite simply delighted to be here. 

    "We have already achieved a lot in 2022 and I'm looking forward to everything that is still to come."

    Leipzig have recovered from a poor start to the season since Marco Rose replaced Domenico Tedesco as head coach in September. They trail Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich by six points after 15 games.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.