EPL

Man City launch investigation after Olsen 'assault' during pitch invasion

By Sports Desk May 22, 2022

Manchester City have apologised and launched an investigation after an incident involving Aston Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen during a pitch invasion by fans of the newly crowned Premier League champions.

City came from two goals down to beat Villa 3-2 on Sunday and clinch the league title in dramatic fashion at the Etihad Stadium.

That led to scenes of jubilation from the home fans at the final whistle, with supporters pouring onto the pitch to celebrate a fourth title in the space of five seasons.

However, Villa manager Steven Gerrard claimed goalkeeper Olsen had been attacked. 

When asked if his players had avoided any harm, Gerrard told reporters: "The answer is no. My goalkeeper was attacked. I think those questions should go to Pep and Manchester City."

Villa reportedly said Olsen was struck on the back of the head, though they were unaware if this was intentional. 

City swiftly issued a statement condemning what they called an "assault".

"Manchester City would like to sincerely apologise to Aston Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen, who was assaulted after the final whistle at today’s match when fans entered the pitch," the statement read.

"The club has launched an immediate investigation and once identified, the individual responsible will be issued with an indefinite stadium ban."

This incident comes on the back of a spate of pitch invasions up and down the football league in England.

Earlier this week, a Nottingham Forest fan was jailed for assaulting Sheffield United striker Billy Sharp, while on Thursday, Everton fans flooded onto the Goodison Park pitch after their 3-2 comeback win over Crystal Palace sealed Premier League safety.

Palace boss Patrick Vieira was confronted by a supporter while walking across the pitch, and appeared to lash out, seemingly aggravated by the fan's behaviour.

Related items

  • Barcelona confirms Christensen ankle ligament sprain in Inter defeat Barcelona confirms Christensen ankle ligament sprain in Inter defeat

    Barcelona's injury woes have worsened with defender Andreas Christensen suffering a ligament sprain in his ankle in Tuesday's 1-0 Champions League defeat to Inter.

    Christensen was substituted out of the game in the 58th minute after struggling for a few minutes with the issue and Barcelona have since confirmed the left ankle injury.

    The club said further tests would be carried out on Wednesday to ascertain the full extent of the injury.

    Christensen's injury comes ahead of tough games, taking on Celta Vigo in La Liga this weekend, before the reverse fixture with Inter on October 12 and the Clasico against Real Madrid on October 16. The Blaugrana take on Villarreal and Athletic Bilbao in LaLiga after that.

    The ex-Chelsea defender was replaced by veteran Gerard Pique, who will likely come into starting calculations.

    Christensen has started three LaLiga matches and all three of Barcelona's Champions League matches this term.

    The 26-year Denmark international joins Frenkie de Jong, Memphis Depay, Hector Bellerin, Jules Kounde and Ronald Araujo on the sidelines at Camp Nou due to injury.

  • Under-fire Inzaghi bullish that Inter's win over Barcelona 'marks the beginning of something' Under-fire Inzaghi bullish that Inter's win over Barcelona 'marks the beginning of something'

    Under pressure Inter head coach Simone Inzaghi is optimistic that Tuesday's 1-0 Champions League win over Barcelona "marks the beginning of something".

    The Nerazzurri boss has come under fire following his side's inconsistent start to the season, with Sunday's 2-1 loss to Roma leaving them with 12 points from eight Serie A games. Inter have conceded 13 goals in those eight games too.

    Defeat on Tuesday would have left Inter perilously placed in third in their Champions League group, having lost to Bayern Munich 2-0 at home on the opening matchday.

    Instead Inzaghi, amid a school of thought he may lose his job if Inter lost to the Blaugrana on Tuesday, is looking for a new beginning for the Nerazzurri.

    "We'd been waiting a long time for this, I am happy for the fans and the club, but we’ve achieved nothing yet, it needs to be a wonderful night that marks the beginning of something," Inzaghi told Sky Sport Italia.

    "I wouldn't say it was unexpected. I said yesterday it was a great opportunity against one of the best teams in the world. We played with aggression, determination, as it’s the only way to beat these opponents."

    Inzaghi, who took over after Antonio Conte's split with the club following their 2020-21 Serie A title, lifted two trophies last season, the Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana, but ultimately fell short in the race for the Scudetto to Milan.

    "I continue my work, there are moments that happen and I keep my head held high, because my staff, players and the club have done some great things over the last 15 months," he said.

    "I saw a squad that is solid and fights together, otherwise you don’t get a result like this. I am happy, but these lads are the same ones who gave me two trophies just a few months ago and they know more than anyone we now have ground to make up."

    Inter forward Lautaro Martinez promised Tuesday's result would usher in charge.

    "Tonight is a special evening because it was a victory we needed," the Argentine told Inter TV. "Because of the way it arrived we enjoy it even more.

    "We were in a period when the results were not coming, today we needed a win and it has arrived. From here on, things will change."

    Goal scorer Hakan Calhanoglu, who netted his first Champions League goal since September 2016, added: "This game can really shake us up and change our season, because we want to build on it.

    "As for qualification, we’ve got to stay calm and take it one game at a time."

  • Atletico must have 'peace of mind' despite Champions League defeat, says Simeone Atletico must have 'peace of mind' despite Champions League defeat, says Simeone

    Diego Simeone says Atletico Madrid must have "peace of mind" despite their poor Champions League campaign to date following a 2-0 defeat to Club Brugge.

    Kamal Soweh and Ferran Jutgla were on target as the surprise Group B leaders made it three wins out of three and left Atleti bottom with three games to play.

    Fellow rivals Bayer Leverkusen and Porto also sit on three points alongside the LaLiga club, with Brugge holding a six-point advantage at the summit.

    Simeone took the positives out of the loss to the Belgian champions at Jan Breydel Stadium, where Antoine Griezmann missed a penalty.

    "It was a game well played," the Atleti head coach told Movistar. "I think we controlled the game we wanted to play. I'm left with a lot of good things.

    "There are a lot of Champions League games left to play. You have to have peace of mind, you don't have to get anxious. Everything is open."

    The Argentine was left to rue his side's profligacy, but praised Brugge goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

    "We had two or three important chances to score, and a lack of forcefulness means Brugge went into half-time with an advantage," he added.

    "But from then on, their key figure was their goalkeeper, without a doubt. We'll have to see if there is a lack of forcefulness to our performance.

    "We do not need to lower our arms, lower our guard. There are good things, and there are things that clearly need to be corrected."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.