EPL

Patrick Vieira confronted by Everton fan after dramatic Crystal Palace collapse

By Sports Desk May 19, 2022

Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira was involved in an altercation with an Everton fan following his team's 3-2 defeat at Goodison Park on Thursday.

Palace threw away a 2-0 half-time lead in the second half, and the dramatic victory for the Toffees ensured their Premier League status for another season.

The delirious home fans descended onto the pitch after the final whistle to celebrate, but one fan approached Vieira and appeared to taunt him.

The former Arsenal midfielder initially ignored the man, before turning to confront him, seeming to kick out before being ushered away by other Everton supporters.

Vieira refused to speak about the incident in his post-match media conference, though his opposite number Frank Lampard said he "felt" for the Frenchman being put in that situation.

"I feel for Patrick," the Everton boss said at his own media conference. "I didn't get him at the end. I would have said, 'come in with us' – although he might not have wanted that.

"Of course he ran 80 yards across the pitch and it's not easy."

This was not the first unsavoury incident to take place in English football in the last week involving pitch invasions, with a Nottingham Forest fan being arrested and later jailed for assaulting Sheffield United striker Billy Sharp following Forest's penalty shoot-out win in the Championship playoff semi-finals on Tuesday.

There were further concerns raised about fans endangering players during pitch invasions after both League Two playoff games involving Mansfield Town and Northampton Town on Wednesday, and Swindon Town and Port Vale on Thursday.

On the fans coming onto the pitch, Lampard added: "It was pure elation of fans who have come on the pitch after avoiding relegation.

"If it is done in the right way let them stay on the pitch, let them have their moment. As long as they behave, no problem."

Related items

  • Suarez rules out River move following Libertadores elimination Suarez rules out River move following Libertadores elimination

    Luis Suarez has announced he will not be joining River Plate after they were knocked out of the Copa Libertadores.

    Veteran striker Suarez, who is a free agent after leaving Atletico Madrid, had been linked with River and has now confirmed there was genuine interest.

    The former Ajax, Liverpool and Barcelona man was open to the move, too, motivated by the opportunity to fight for a Libertadores title.

    But River were eliminated from South America's elite club competition on Wednesday following a goalless draw at home to Velez Sarsfield in the last 16, losing 1-0 on aggregate.

    Suarez will not therefore be heading to the Buenos Aires giants, who are losing Julian Alvarez to Manchester City, he told Ovacion.

    "I was very excited about the possibility of going to River to fight for the Copa Libertadores," he said.

    "It was a dream that I had to win a cup in South America. As River was knocked out, that possibility falls away."

    Suarez has spent 16 years in Europe, signing for Groningen in 2006 after leaving Nacional in his native Uruguay.

    And the 35-year-old said he was disappointed not to have heard from his former club, explaining: "If I came to think and get excited about the possibility of River, the same would happen with that of Nacional, which was my home.

    "I am surprised that the leaders of Nacional did not even call me to find out my situation."

    Instead, it seems, Suarez will stay in Europe. Ovacion reported he was weighing up three offers having been tempted by River.

    "A month and a half ago, I declared that I was not going to leave Europe," he said. "But River insisted and insisted so much that I came to consider it, and there was a possibility.

    "As much as one says something, when the time comes, you will consider it. You are excited that they love you so much.

    "The player needs love. River was giving it to me, and Nacional could have tried that."

  • Women's Euros: England ask Nike to change white shorts, 'not practical' due to periods Women's Euros: England ask Nike to change white shorts, 'not practical' due to periods

    England Women have asked Nike to change their all-white kit, as the shorts are "not practical" due to periods.

    The Lionesses have worn their own strips over the past three years, having previously turned out in the same kit as the men's team.

    But England players have now raised an issue with their white shorts.

    Sarina Wiegman's side turned out in their home colours in their Women's Euro 2022 opener against Austria, a 1-0 win at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

    But winger Beth Mead, who scored the only goal, revealed the team were concerned by the possibility of red spotting showing on their shorts during their periods.

    "It's something we've fed back to Nike," she told The Telegraph. "Hopefully they're going to change that.

    "It's very nice to have an all-white kit, but sometimes it's not practical when it's the time of the month.

    "We deal with it as best we can. We've discussed it as a team, and we've fed that back to Nike."

    Mead said she was "pretty laid back" about which alternative colour Nike might opt for, while Georgia Stanway added the concerns were forgotten as soon as the players took to the pitch.

    "It's difficult, because we associate England with white," Stanway said.

    "The home kit is unbelievable, it looks really nice. I think that's something that we can speak about as a full squad, as a group of girls.

    "I think next year there is potentially a colour change going in. I think it's hard, because once you're on the grass, nothing else matters.

    "I think we have a good doctor who likes to look after us. As soon as the adrenaline comes in, you could be naked and nobody cares. That's what happens when you're on the pitch, you forget about everything."

  • Christensen hopes Azpilicueta and Alonso follow him from Chelsea to Barcelona Christensen hopes Azpilicueta and Alonso follow him from Chelsea to Barcelona

    Andreas Christensen hopes he is not the only defender to leave Chelsea for Barcelona this close season, with Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso both appearing to be targets for the Catalan club.

    Christensen was presented as a Barca player on Thursday after departing Stamford Bridge at the end of his contract.

    Spain internationals Azpilicueta and Alonso have been linked to the Camp Nou giants, too, and Christensen revealed he had discussed the move with both players.

    "I spoke to them and told them I was going to Barca," he said in a news conference. "They are great friends, and hopefully I can play with them.

    "I haven't met my team-mates here yet, who have a lot of quality, but I do want to play with [Azpilicueta and Alonso] again next season."

    Barca sporting advisor Jordi Cruyff was also asked about the Blues pair and said: "It is true that the change of ownership at Chelsea delays everything a bit.

    "We want to reinforce several positions of the team, and we have several names on the table.

    "What has struck me the most is that all the players open their eyes when they hear the name of Barca and are willing to lose money to adapt to the salary scale.

    "We are proud to see how people are willing to lose money to come to this club. The new wage structure must be fair and stable.

    "We don't want to talk about names, because they have a contract with their clubs, but it is true that we are looking to reinforce positions that we consider fundamental."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.