Tuchel confirms Christensen opted out of FA Cup final for 'private' reasons

By Sports Desk May 18, 2022

Thomas Tuchel has no idea if Andreas Christensen will play for Chelsea again after the defender ruled himself out of the FA Cup final for "private" reasons.

Christensen's contract expires at the end of the month and Barcelona are the favourites to sign him on a free transfer.

The Denmark international started in the 3-0 Premier League win at Leeds United, but was not in the squad for a defeat to Liverpool on penalties on the FA Cup final at Wembley last Saturday.

Blues boss Tuchel on Wednesday confirmed the centre-back told him he was unavailable on the morning of the game.

Tuchel is unsure if Christensen will play in the London club's two remaining Premier League games against Leicester City on Thursday and Watford three days later, as they strive to secure third place. 

Asked if Christensen will return, the German said in a press conference: "Not sure yet if he's involved tomorrow and at the weekend.

"Andreas came on the morning of the match and told me he was not ready to play.

"He had his reasons, they stay private and confidential, but it was not the first time as you can see over the last weeks we had some of the same situations why he did not play so regularly.

"We thought that we are in a good progression and good development because he played very strong in the match before the final against Leeds but the conversation took place and we have to respect it and we of course respected it and he has our support.

"It is unlikely for the weekend, it was on very short notice before the cup final and other matches in the weeks before. So no chance I have any prediction for tomorrow and the weekend."

Timo Werner will miss the clash with Leicester due to a thigh injury, while Kai Havertz also has a thigh problem and will be monitored ahead of the game.

Related items

  • PSG complete €40m Vitinha transfer PSG complete €40m Vitinha transfer

    Paris Saint-Germain have completed the signing of midfielder Vitinha from Porto for a reported fee of €40million, marking their first new arrival of the transfer window.

    Barring the permanent capture of Nuno Mendes – who spent last season on loan in Paris – Vitinha is the club's first signing of a new era, with Christophe Galtier widely expected to succeed Mauricio Pochettino as head coach.

    Luis Campos, the hugely successful former Monaco and Lille sporting director, has already come in to drive PSG's transfer business – including this first buy.

    Vitinha has signed a five-year contract at the Parc des Princes.

    The 22-year-old Portugal international returned from a disappointing loan spell with Wolves to play a key part in Porto's Primeira Liga triumph last season, scoring two goals and providing three assists as the two-time European champions finished six points ahead of Sporting CP.

    PSG are set for a busy window, having already secured Kylian Mbappe to a lucrative new contract, having fended off Real Madrid's long-standing interest in the France forward.

    Further signings are expected in the French capital, with the club reported to have serious interest in Inter defender Milan Skriniar and Lille midfielder Renato Sanches.

    PSG begin the 2022-23 season in the Trophee des Champions against Nantes in Israel on July 31, before the Ligue 1 campaign commences the following week, with the defending champions on the road against Clermont.

  • 'Eternal captain' Fernandinho pens poetic farewell to Man City 'Eternal captain' Fernandinho pens poetic farewell to Man City

    Fernandinho has penned a poetic farewell to Manchester City supporters on social media following his move to Athletico Paranaense.

    Brazilian side Paranaense confirmed on Monday that an agreement is in place to re-sign Fernandinho, who previously spent three years with the club.

    The 53-cap former Brazil international left Paranaense in 2005 to join Shakhtar Donetsk, before spending nine seasons with City, the last two of those as captain.

    After making 383 appearances for City and winning 12 major honours, including five Premier League titles, Fernandinho bowed out at the end of the 2021-22 campaign.

    And on the day his contract at the Etihad Stadium officially expired, Fernandinho took to Twitter to pay an emotional tribute to everyone connected with City.

    "I saw. I saw my family proud. I saw supporters that never forgot where they came from," he posted in an open letter. 

    "I saw the beauty of being part of a winning team. I saw titles, superstars and geniuses. I saw an opportunity to fulfil my dream.

    "And then I realised. I realised the importance of all reading this letter. I realised that I made the right choice, the best choice of my entire life.

    "I hope one day when you remember me, you feel the same way that I'm feeling when I'm writing this."

    He added: "Athletes, coaches/trainers, laundry staff, kit managers, cleaners, concierge, security team, door staff, advisors, executives, cooks, directors, doctors, masseuses, physiotherapists, sports psychologists, media team, analysts, youth teams, charity teams…

    "Apologies if I missed anyone, but you know who you are. Today is the last day of my contract with Manchester City.

    "I can only say that I gave my very best and I would do it all over again. The story continues and after playing for nine years, I will become an avid Cityzen supporter for many more titles and victories.

    "I am certain that many more will come judging by the quality of all your daily work."

    Fernandinho signed off the letter: "My memories will last forever. Many thanks, your eternal captain."

    The 37-year-old previously revealed he turned down numerous offers to return to Paranaense, who are now managed by former Portugal and Brazil boss Luis Felipe Scolari.

  • Botman chose 'dream' Newcastle move over Milan transfer Botman chose 'dream' Newcastle move over Milan transfer

    Sven Botman considered Newcastle United "a little better" than Milan as he weighed up his transfer options, settling on a "dream" Premier League move.

    Lille defender Botman is expected to complete his move to Newcastle on Friday, with a deal in principle announced earlier this week.

    That reported £31.8million (€37m) agreement brought to an end a long-running saga, with the centre-back the subject of interest from both Newcastle and Milan.

    Botman discussed the merits of signing for both clubs following a January window in which neither could convince Lille to sell.

    Milan initially seemed favourites to finally land their man following the 2021-22 season, but they could not match Newcastle's offer.

    And Botman explained to De Telegraaf: "Newcastle's great project and the chance to play in the Premier League were two decisive aspects in making a decision.

    "Milan had also given me good feelings, but Newcastle more so; they seemed a little better.

    "I've been dreaming of the Premier League all my life and now this dream comes true."

    Botman revealed he was concerned after missing out on a January transfer, believing such opportunities "only pass once".

    But he was ultimately pleased to stick around, face Chelsea in the Champions League and depart Lille "in the right way", still joining Newcastle.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.