Alexander-Arnold celebrates 'unreal' FA Cup win as Liverpool star completes the set

By Sports Desk May 15, 2022

Liverpool's FA Cup triumph has been described as "unreal" by Trent Alexander-Arnold, who has now won every major club honour available to him so far in his career.

Alexander-Arnold scored his spot-kick as Liverpool went on to beat Chelsea 6-5 in the penalty shoot-out at Wembley on Saturday.

After a goalless draw over 120 minutes, Edouard Mendy saved Sadio Mane's penalty, but Alisson subsequently denied Mason Mount, setting the stage for Kostas Tsimikas to net the winning spot-kick.

The Reds won the EFL Cup against Chelsea in February in similar circumstances, triumphing 11-10 in a shoot-out on that occasion.

Alexander-Arnold is only 23, but has already won the FA Cup, EFL Cup, Champions League, FIFA Club World Cup and the Premier League.

He told the Reds' official website: "[It feels] unreal, to be honest. I was sat there thinking this is the only one I’ve got left now to complete the set and to do it is an amazing feeling. 

"It's something that I've dreamed of and it's something that not many players can say they have done, so to be able to do it with this amazing club and this amazing team is a special feeling for me."

Liverpool, who face Real Madrid in the Champions League final on May 28, have won both of England's domestic cup competitions for the first time since 2000-01, when they also went on to win a European trophy that season.

The EFL Cup final between these teams also finished goalless, despite the array of attacking talent on show, while the two league fixtures both ended all square this season.

Alexander-Arnold added: "Honestly, it's always tight when we play Chelsea. We just can't get the better of each other, it always comes down to pens and draws.

"That's four draws now [this season], it's rare, so it's hard to beat them but we were resilient and we've got the job done when it matters. We've kept calm under pressure."

Tsimikas was the unlikely hero for Liverpool, with the back-up left-back keeping his cool from 12 yards after replacing Andrew Robertson.

"It just shows the depth that we've got, lads coming in," Alexander-Arnold said. "The way we did it in the EFL Cup and now.

"It's amazing, the changes we've made, the players coming on and doing their job unbelievably well. It's an amazing group and it's a special season."

Liverpool still harbour hopes of sealing an unprecedented quadruple, though they have only two games left to catch league leaders Manchester City, who are three points clear.

Related items

  • Barcelona eager to offload Umtiti and Braithwaite Barcelona eager to offload Umtiti and Braithwaite

    Barcelona president Joan Laporta has confirmed the club are looking to offload Samuel Umtiti and Martin Braithwaite before the transfer window closes.

    The LaLiga giants have been busy in the transfer market, signing Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha, Jules Kounde, Franck Kessie and Andreas Christensen – with Chelsea's Marcos Alonso lined up as the next recruit.

    Barca could not afford to keep Lionel Messi a year ago due to their financial crisis and there has been talk that LaLiga may not give them the green light to register their new recruits due to limits on spending.

    Laporta has stated that he does not envisage any issues after the club signed up to a hugely lucrative sponsorship deal with Spotify, and sold a percentage of LaLiga broadcast rights, merchandising rights and a stake in Barca Studios.

    Barca are prepared to activate a fourth financial lever to allow for those registrations, if required, and are also looking to reduce their wage bill, with departures and negotiations for wage reductions on the cards.

    With the new season beginning on Saturday against Rayo Vallecano, Barca are in a race against time to register their new additions and, while Laporta remains confident they will be able to do so, there is still work to be done.

    Ahead of Sunday's pre-season clash against Mexican side Pumas, Laporta revealed Umtiti and Braithwaite have been informed that they are not in the club's plans - following on from the cancellation of Neto's contract, with the goalkeeper joining Bournemouth.

    "Umtiti and Braithwaite have a contract, but they have understood that the coach does not count on them and that the best thing for them is to leave," he told ESport3.

    Laporta added: "We are awaiting some more dismissals, but with the operations we have carried out we understand that we will be able to register all signings and renewed players."

    Frenkie de Jong is another player who has been heavily touted for an exit before the window closes on September 1, but Laporta has once again outlined the club's desire to retain the services of the Netherlands international.

    "Frenkie de Jong is a Barca player. He has offers, but he wants to stay, and we want him to stay," he added.

  • 'There's nothing to it' - Bayern chief Salihamidzic rubbishes Sane to Man Utd rumours 'There's nothing to it' - Bayern chief Salihamidzic rubbishes Sane to Man Utd rumours

    Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic insists speculation linking winger Leroy Sane with a move to Manchester United is wide of the mark.

    Reports have suggested the Premier League club enquired about the availability of the Germany international, who spent four years in England with United's cross-city rivals Manchester City between 2016 and 2020.

    Sane scored 25 goals in 90 Premier League appearances for the Citizens before moving back to Germany in order to join Bayern, where he has won two Bundesliga titles in two seasons.

    Bayern left Sane out of their starting eleven for a 6-1 thrashing of Eintracht Frankfurt in their Bundesliga opener on Friday, but Salihamidzic says the 26-year-old is not going anywhere.

    When questioned regarding a potential transfer for Sane, Salihamidzic told Sky90: "There's nothing to it.

    "Leroy is an important player for us, so there's nothing to tell."

    Sane provided an assist for Jamal Musiala after entering the fray 65 minutes into Bayern's thrashing of last season's Europa League winners, as the Bavarian giants started the Bundesliga season with an emphatic success.

    The former City winger scored seven goals and added seven assists in the Bundesliga last campaign, with only Thomas Muller (eight), Serge Gnabry (14) and the since-departed Robert Lewandowski (35) netting more league goals than Sane.

  • Capello compares Dybala to Roma legend Totti but says Abraham not yet on Batistuta's level Capello compares Dybala to Roma legend Totti but says Abraham not yet on Batistuta's level

    Fabio Capello has compared Paulo Dybala to Roma legend Francesco Totti but believes the Argentine's new strike partner Tammy Abraham has some way to go before he reaches the level of Gabriel Batistuta.

    Capello was in charge of Roma when they last won the Scudetto in the 2000-01 season, with Batistuta and Totti netting a total of 33 Serie A goals (Batistuta 20, Totti 13) as they edged out Juventus in a thrilling title race.

    With Jose Mourinho having delivered the Europa Conference League trophy during his first season in the Italian capital last term, hopes are high the Giallorossi could mount a serious domestic challenge this time around.

    The acquisitions of Dybala, Georginio Wijnaldum and Nemanja Matic have seen Roma tipped for a title push in some quarters, with Abraham also expected to kick on after scoring 17 goals in his first Serie A campaign.

    Capello, who last month said Dybala's arrival from Juventus could shift the balance in Serie A, thinks Roma's new signing could prove as influential as the club's all-time top goalscorer Totti.

    "Football evolves all the time," Capello told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "But if it's a game I tell you that the Argentine has the touch of the ball, the ability to find a partner and the ease of scoring that Francesco had."

     

    However, Capello says Abraham has plenty of work to do in order to be considered in the same category as Argentine great Batistuta, who scored 30 Serie A goals during a two-and-a-half season spell in Rome between 2000 and 2003.

    "Let's take it easy," Capello added. "Gabriel was a professor of the penalty area. The sense of goal he possessed has been had by few players in the world. 

    "Abraham is certainly more mobile, but we are on another level for the moment."

    Meanwhile, Roma's transfer activity has left Capello believing they are among the favourites to win Serie A in the 2022-23 season, as he claimed only Simone Inzaghi's Inter are clearly superior to Mourinho's team.

    "The Giallorossi can no longer hide," he added. "Only Inter, with [Milan] Skriniar, can be superior to them. [Comparisons to] Juve and Milan are already valid."

    Roma begin their Serie A campaign with a trip to Salernitana on August 14.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.