EPL

Wolves head coach Lage to miss Chelsea trip with COVID-19

By Sports Desk May 06, 2022

Wolves will be without head coach Bruno Lage for Saturday's trip to Chelsea in the Premier League after he contracted coronavirus.

Lage returned a positive COVID-19 test on Friday, with Wolves confirming he will not travel with the squad to Stamford Bridge.

Coronavirus restrictions in the United Kingdom have been all but removed in recent months, but government guidance does still urge people to "try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people for five days".

Lage's absence comes as a blow for Wolves at a critical stage of the season as they still harbour hopes of qualifying for the Europa Conference League.

Wolves, who have lost four of their past five including three on the bounce, are three points behind West Ham in the final European qualification spot but have a game in hand on the Hammers.

Related items

  • Berardi signs new Sassuolo deal amid Juventus and Milan links Berardi signs new Sassuolo deal amid Juventus and Milan links

    Juventus and Milan target Domenico Berardi has signed a new contract with Sassuolo that will keep him at the club until 2027.

    Berardi impressed again for Sassuolo in the 2021-22 season, scoring 15 times in Serie A – the third consecutive campaign the forward has posted double figures in the league.

    He also recorded the most assists in the Italian top flight (14) and was the only Serie A forward to manage double figures for both goals and assists.

    The 28-year-old has been at Sassuolo his entire career, but there had been suggestions recently that he could be tempted by a new challenge.

    He was linked to Juventus, who co-owned him between 2013 and 2015, while Liverpool and Milan were also among those reportedly interested in the Italy international.

    However, it was announced on Wednesday that he had pledged his future to the club for a further five years.

    Berardi was in the headlines for the wrong reasons last week after he was involved in a heated spat with a Modena fan.

    Sassuolo were eliminated from the Coppa Italia by their Serie B hosts at Stadio Alberto Braglia, with their loss followed by Berardi apparently chasing an opposing supporter outside the ground.

    The footage went viral, but Berardi took to social media to offer an explanation, suggesting his family had been targeted off the pitch to spark his ire.

     

  • Cucurella vows to never cut his hair despite Romero incident Cucurella vows to never cut his hair despite Romero incident

    Marc Cucurella has vowed to never cut his hair in the wake of an incident involving Cristian Romero during Chelsea's 2-2 draw with Tottenham.

    The Spain international had his long locks pulled forcefully by Spurs defender Romero in the closing stages of Sunday's ill-tempered contest at Stamford Bridge.

    Cucurella, making his full debut for Chelsea following a £56million switch from Brighton and Hove Albion, ended up on the floor but no action was taken against Romero.

    Chelsea were leading 2-1 at that point but were pegged back by a Harry Kane header moments later, leaving boss Thomas Tuchel furious with the officials.

    Speaking at a press conference for his arrival on Wednesday, Cucurella was asked if he would consider cutting his hair to avoid any similar circumstances in the future.

    "No. Never. This is my style," he told reporters.

    Asked if he thought Romero was fortunate to avoid any punishment, Cucurella said: "Yes. For me it is too clear in the game, on the pitch.

    "I didn’t see it on the TV, the video. I think it's very clear but this is one error of the referee or VAR. Sometimes the referees have good decisions, sometimes not.

    "Maybe it's not an important action because it doesn't affect the final result, but we meet again in a few months and this is another opportunity."

    Cucurella set up fellow new signing Kalidou Koulibaly's opener against Tottenham to equal his assists tally from across 35 Premier League appearances with Brighton.

    The 24-year-old had more touches of the ball (99) than any other player on the field, while only team-mate Mason Mount (35) managed more passes in the final third than his 30.

    As well as being comfortable playing as a left wing-back, Cucurella can also play as a left-back and on the left side of central defence.

    He faces competition from Ben Chilwell for a regular starting spot, but the versatile defender has thanked his new colleague for helping him to adapt at a new club.

    "[Ben] helped me a lot in these first days, he's a very good person," Cucurella said.

    "We need to work hard to play in one position. We have two players for one position, but if one player is better, he will put him in the line-up. This is good for the team.

    "As for my best position, the three positions on the left side is good for me. I think maybe best for me is back four, left-back, because it's where I played in the academies."

  • Ronaldo cautioned by Merseyside Police over incident involving Everton fan Ronaldo cautioned by Merseyside Police over incident involving Everton fan

    Cristiano Ronaldo has been cautioned by Merseyside Police over an incident involving an Everton fan following Manchester United's defeat at Goodison Park last season.

    A video emerged on social media of United forward Ronaldo appearing to smash a supporter's phone as he left the field after the Toffees' 1-0 Premier League win in April.

    The Portugal captain issued an apology on Instagram, stating: "It's never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments such as the one we are facing.

    "Nevertheless, we always have to be respectful, patient and set the example for all the youngsters who love the beautiful game.

    "I would like to apologise for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair-play and sportsmanship.”

    Ronaldo has now been interviewed by police and given a caution.

    Merseyside Police said in a statement: "We can confirm that a 37-year-old man voluntarily attended and was interviewed under caution in relation to an allegation of assault and criminal damage.
     
    "The allegation relates to an incident following the Everton v Manchester United football match at Goodison Park on Saturday 9 April.
     
    "The matter has been dealt with by way of conditional caution. The matter has now concluded."

    The five-time Ballon d'Or winner could leave United before the transfer window closes on September 1, with his future the subject of constant speculation just under a year after he returned to the club.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.