EPL

Lampard charged with improper conduct after questioning Merseyside derby officiating

By Sports Desk May 04, 2022

The Football Association (FA) has charged Frank Lampard with improper conduct after the Everton manager vented his frustrations at not being awarded a penalty against Liverpool.

Everton, who beat Chelsea on Sunday to go back to within two points of safety with five games remaining in their Premier League campaign, lost 2-0 to their quadruple-chasing Merseyside rivals at Anfield on April 24.

Andrew Robertson and Divock Origi punctured Everton's resolve but the Toffees were infuriated when referee Stuart Attwell failed to give a penalty after Joel Matip bundled into Anthony Gordon early in the second half when the game was goalless. 

Lampard told a post-match news conference: "If that was [Mohamed] Salah at the other end, he gets a penalty. You don't get them here. That's the reality of football sometimes." 

The FA asked Lampard for an explanation of his comments last week, which the Chelsea great said he responded to, and the governing body has now issued a charge.

A statement issued via the FA Spokesperson Twitter account read: "Frank Lampard has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 in relation to post-match media comments that he made following Everton FC's Premier League match against Liverpool FC on Sunday 24 April 2022. It is alleged that the manager's comments constitute improper conduct as they imply bias and/or attack the integrity of the match referee – or referees generally – and/or bring the game into disrepute."

Lampard has until May 9 to respond. 

Everton are also waiting to discover what punishment, if any, Richarlison will face after the forward threw a smoke bomb that had been launched onto the pitch in the wake of his winning goal against Chelsea back towards the stands, albeit into an unoccupied section of Goodison Park.

Related items

  • Women's Euros: England's Bronze backs Putellas to bounce back with Barca and Spain Women's Euros: England's Bronze backs Putellas to bounce back with Barca and Spain

    Lucy Bronze described Spain's setback of losing Ballon d'Or winner Alexia Putellas as "devastating" and a blow to the women's game as a whole.

    England star Bronze, who will become a team-mate of Putellas next season after recently signing for Barcelona, backed the 28-year-old to rebound from her crushing Euro 2022 disappointment.

    Putellas, who has scored 27 goals in 100 international appearances, suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury in training on Tuesday and will play no part in the tournament that began on Wednesday.

    "For anyone who suffers an ACL, it's devastating," Bronze said. "My old team-mate [Lyon's Germany international Dzsenifer] Marozsan did her ACL just before the tournament, and I was devastated for her, and now Alexia as well.

    "Obviously she's one of the best players in the world – the best player in the world right now – and one of my team-mates.

    "For women's football, we want the best players on the pitch. I'm sure she'll get straight back to Barcelona, and they'll want to get her back on the pitch and fighting fit.

    "I'm sure she'll be back playing for Barca as soon as possible, and the World Cup is still to come next year, so she's still got plenty of time and plenty of stages to shine."

    Putellas' absence is a colossal blow for Spain, with the 28-year-old having top-scored in the Champions League with 11 goals last season.

    Bronze, who has battled knee problems during her own career, is hoping for a clean bill of health in the England camp throughout the finals.

    The hosts began with a 1-0 win over Austria at Old Trafford, in front of almost 70,000 supporters.

    Bronze said the occasion was "huge", but it was a scrappy showing from England, with Beth Mead's first-half goal proving just enough.

    "We know we can improve on that performance," Bronze said. "Especially under [coach] Sarina [Wiegman] we score a lot of goals and play exciting football and I don't think we did that at our best. We didn't quite click and didn't quite get in the flow.

    "Ultimately, the best teams have to win even when they're not playing at their best, so we managed to show that which is a different side to this England team."

  • Sebastien Haller anticipates 'epic' atmospheres with Borussia Dortmund Sebastien Haller anticipates 'epic' atmospheres with Borussia Dortmund

    Sebastien Haller revealed he is looking forward to "epic" atmospheres and games at Borussia Dortmund, after confirmation of his transfer from Ajax.

    Haller joins Dortmund on a four-year deal in his return to the Bundesliga, following a two-year spell with Eintracht Frankfurt 2017 and 2019.

    The 28-year-old has provided four goals and two assists in his six career games against Dortmund, with three of those goals coming in his three games at the Signal Iduna Park, notably in last season's Champions League group stage with Ajax.

    Along with identifying Dortmund's need to compete with Bayern Munich this upcoming season, Haller revealed it is a stadium that brings out the best in him, speaking upon the club's release of the transfer.

    "The goals are, of course, to fight with Bayern and be first," he said. "Why not? It's an epic stadium, so most of the time it's epic games. I have a good feeling because the pitch is really good, and the atmosphere was always really good.

    "Even if I didn't win [with Eintracht Frankfurt], I always have a great memory of this stadium because you are in really good conditions to play football, these games are a reminder that you play a beautiful sport."

    Coming off a 34-goal season with Ajax in all competitions, Haller's arrival comes amid a busy off-season for Dortmund, along with the signings of Niklas Sule, Karim Adeyemi, Nico Schlotterbeck and Salih Ozcan.

    The Ivory Coast international believes Dortmund represent a "great" opportunity for him in return, but is simply eager to start preparations for the upcoming season.

    "I feel great, really happy, proud and also really looking forward to come and play. Training, games, being in the dressing room, everything," Haller said. "This is my life for a few years now and I'm really looking forward to this.

    "It was a great opportunity for me with the club, the people at the club and also I know a few of the players. I had a good connection, I just want to have a good time and be successful.

    "I can't wait to feel the support of 80,000 fans in the stadium as part of the BVB family. Hopefully over the coming years we'll achieve big things together, and then celebrate them together."

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd told to raise their €60million bid for Ajax winger Antony Rumour Has It: Man Utd told to raise their €60million bid for Ajax winger Antony

    Manchester United have reportedly tabled a €60million bid for Ajax winger Antony.

    Antony's agent has been trying to secure a move to United and the Premier League since the Eredivisie season ended, according to Goal.

    The Brazilian is coming off a season where he tallied eight goals and four assists in 23 league games, as well as another two goals and four assists in seven Champions League fixtures, showing he has what it takes at the highest level.

     

    TOP STORY – RED DEVILS MAKE BIG-MONEY MOVE FOR AJAX'S ANTONY

    Goal's report says the back-to-back Eredivisie champions are determined to hold onto Antony for another season, and with three years still remaining on his contract, Ajax are in control of the negotiations.

    United's offer has fallen well below Ajax's acceptable figure, which is said to be €80m, although the discussions are ongoing.

    The Old Trafford club are also linked with Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans, according to The Sun, as well as Napoli striker and hot commodity Victor Osimhen, who ESPN claims is fetching a price north of €100m.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – Portuguese publication A Bola claims Chelsea are preparing a £38m for Sporting midfielder Matheus Nunes.

    – According to The Mirror, Everton have no plans to sell Dominic Calvert-Lewin after cashing in on Richarlison.

    Arsenal are looking to sell seven players, including Nicolas Pepe and Bernd Leno, to fund further moves in this transfer window, per The Sun.

    – According to Foot Mercato, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Sevilla and Napoli are all competing for Nice's 22-year-old French centre-back Jean-Clair Todibo.

    – Fabrizio Romano is reporting that Brentford have secured a €22m deal for Bologna's 20-year-old Scottish left-back Aaron Hickey.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.