Tammy Abraham calls first season with Roma a 'dream come true'

By Sports Desk April 27, 2022

After breaking the record for most goals scored in their first season playing for Roma, Tammy Abraham said the feeling is indescribable.

Abraham, 24, arrived from Chelsea ahead of this season for a reported fee of £34million (€40.4m), and has scored 15 goals in 33 Serie A appearances, and added another eight in 11 UEFA Europa Conference League fixtures.

As part of his sale from Chelsea, the Blues included a buy-back clause of £67m (€79.6m), which can be triggered after two seasons spent with Roma. 

Speaking with the media about his terrific introduction to Italian football, Abraham said his joy is hard to put into words, but called it a "dream come true".

"To do what I'm doing now for a great club like Roma, I can't really describe the feeling," he said.

"Coming off the back of a difficult season at Chelsea where I wasn't really playing games, to coming here and shining again, it's like a dream come true.

"I've always been a player who never lacks confidence. From a young kid I've always scored goals and wanted to win. Even when I score in training I celebrate like it's a match.

"It was all about being in the right place to bring out the real me. I'm learning more about myself every day.

"It was all about someone believing in me. The past manager – Frank Lampard – gave me that chance, he showed real faith in me and that's when I was producing. It's the same now.

"When you have belief from the manager it makes you want to do the best you can. It's just confidence."

The English striker said he is aware of rumours about the interest of Premier League clubs in bringing him home, but insisted he is perfectly happy where he is.

"I'm happy playing my football," he said. "You hear the little rumours here and there, but clearly I'm doing the right thing. 

"I was born and raised in England, of course there are many rumours here and there that there are clubs interested, but I'm clearly doing something right at Roma if people are interested."

Related items

  • Bologna determined to retain 'priceless' Arnautovic amid reported Man Utd interest Bologna determined to retain 'priceless' Arnautovic amid reported Man Utd interest

    Bologna sporting director Marco Di Vaio has warned Manchester United off a move for "priceless" forward Marko Arnautovic.

    United are widely reported to have made an approach to try and bring Arnautovic back to the Premier League, where he previously represented West Ham United and Stoke City.

    Erik ten Hag is short of options to lead the line, with Cristiano Ronaldo's future uncertain and Anthony Martial injured, but luring Arnautovic from Bologna will not be an easy task.

    Speaking ahead of the Coppa Italia clash against Cosenza, Di Vaio made it clear that the Serie A club are not willing to negotiate over a deal.

    "It is not easy to play in the market phase, there is a lot of talk, our will is to retain Marko. He is at the centre of our project," he told Italia 1.

    "This interest makes us proud above all because it is an idea born by Sabatini [Walter, Bologna's former sporting director] and carried out by the club to realise a dream that was to bring him here after two three years in China.

    "It was a bet won, he responded on the field and we want to move forward with him. Our will is not to sell, but to strengthen the team to make an important season."

    Pressed over whether the club's stance would change if a significant offer was presented, Di Vaio suggested that would not be the case.

    "It's not a question of money, it's priceless for what it represents for us," he explained.

    "We want to move forward with him because we are convinced that he can do better and help us grow. He is always the first in training to spur others, he has no market value."

  • Galatasaray confirm double signing of Mertens and Torreira Galatasaray confirm double signing of Mertens and Torreira

    Galatasaray have confirmed the double signing of Dries Mertens and Lucas Torreira.

    The Turkish Super Lig side announced they were in negotiations for both players on Saturday, with images circulating on social media of the pair travelling to Istanbul from Milan.

    Mertens, a free agent following the end of his nine-year stint with Napoli, has penned a one-year deal with the club.

    The Belgium international won the Coppa Italia twice during his time in Naples and was a member of the Red Devils squad that came third in the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

    At 35-years-old, Mertens is yet to announce his international retirement and could yet feature at this year's World Cup in Qatar, where Belgium will be in Group F alongside Canada, Croatia and Morocco.

    Torreira, meanwhile, had fallen down the pecking order at Arsenal, spending the past two seasons on loan with Atletico Madrid and Fiorentina. He has signed a four-year contract.

    Capped 39 times by Uruguay, the midfielder will be aiming to represent the South Americans in Qatar – who sit in Group H with Ghana, Portugal and South Korea.

  • inter confirm departure of Marseille-linked Alexis Sanchez inter confirm departure of Marseille-linked Alexis Sanchez

    Inter have confirmed the termination of Alexis Sanchez's contract amid reports the forward is set to join Marseille.

    Sanchez arrived at San Siro from Manchester United in 2019, initially on a season-long loan before signing a permanent deal in 2020.

    The Chile international was part of the Inter side that won the Serie A title in the 2020-21 season, while he also scored a dramatic 121st minute winner against Juventus in the Supercoppa Italiana in January.

    Sanchez only managed five goals in 27 Serie A appearances for the Nerazzurri last season, though just seven of those were starts.

    The 33-year-old made 109 appearances in all, scoring 20 goals.

    Inter said in a statement on Monday: "FC Internazionale Milano announces that it has reached an agreement for the consensual termination of the contract of the Chilean striker Alexis Sanchez.

    "The club would like to thank Alexis for his three seasons in the Nerazzurri, culminating in the winning of three trophies, and wishes him the best for the rest of his career."

    Numerous reports have suggested Sanchez's next move will be to Ligue 1, with Marseille said to be offering the former Barcelona man a two-year deal.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.