Jurgen Klopp warns Liverpool: It's only half-time of Villarreal tie

By Sports Desk April 27, 2022

Jurgen Klopp insisted Liverpool still have it all to do in the second leg of their Champions League semi-final against Villarreal, despite the first leg ending in a convincing 2-0 win.

The Reds carved out their advantage during a two-minute second-half spell that saw Pervis Estupinan put through his own net and Sadio Mane get on the scoresheet.

The visitors managed just a single shot across the 90 minutes, one which failed even to test Alisson in the Reds' goal.

However, Klopp is taking nothing for granted ahead of the return leg in Spain next week, saying at a media conference after the game: "The full work is [left] to do. Nothing happened yet. 

"You play a game and it's 2-0 at half-time, you have to be completely on alert, you have to be 100 per cent in the right mood, you have the play the second half like you played the first. 

"There's nothing to defend, if you do that you give all the advantages you might have had away immediately. 

"We know we go there and it will be a tricky atmosphere for us, different to tonight. 

"Those players, you saw it tonight, they fight for the coach with all they have. What I like was that everybody could see that we fight with all we have and it's always the same. 

"If they beat us with a result that brings them to the final then they deserve it and, if not, then we deserve it. That's how the competition is."

Liverpool had taken 12 shots without scoring in an opening period that saw Villarreal frustrate - a theme of their march to this stage of the competition. 

But Klopp did not ask his team to change things up during the half-time break, instead asking for more of the same from his players.

He added: "We spoke at half-time, I thought we looked really fresh in the first half and had good legs. 

"It's intense for us to play the way we play but it's intense for the opponent to defend us in that way as well.

"It was the challenge, how it is for all human beings, when you try and you fail and try and fail [not to] think, 'Come on, it's not my day!' 

"We really had to stay positive and try and fail, try and fail, and keep trying. And that's what we did."

Related items

  • Women's Euros: England ask Nike to change white shorts, 'not practical' due to periods Women's Euros: England ask Nike to change white shorts, 'not practical' due to periods

    England Women have asked Nike to change their all-white kit, as the shorts are "not practical" due to periods.

    The Lionesses have worn their own strips over the past three years, having previously turned out in the same kit as the men's team.

    But England players have now raised an issue with their white shorts.

    Sarina Wiegman's side turned out in their home colours in their Women's Euro 2022 opener against Austria, a 1-0 win at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

    But winger Beth Mead, who scored the only goal, revealed the team were concerned by the possibility of red spotting showing on their shorts during their periods.

    "It's something we've fed back to Nike," she told The Telegraph. "Hopefully they're going to change that.

    "It's very nice to have an all-white kit, but sometimes it's not practical when it's the time of the month.

    "We deal with it as best we can. We've discussed it as a team, and we've fed that back to Nike."

    Mead said she was "pretty laid back" about which alternative colour Nike might opt for, while Georgia Stanway added the concerns were forgotten as soon as the players took to the pitch.

    "It's difficult, because we associate England with white," Stanway said.

    "The home kit is unbelievable, it looks really nice. I think that's something that we can speak about as a full squad, as a group of girls.

    "I think next year there is potentially a colour change going in. I think it's hard, because once you're on the grass, nothing else matters.

    "I think we have a good doctor who likes to look after us. As soon as the adrenaline comes in, you could be naked and nobody cares. That's what happens when you're on the pitch, you forget about everything."

  • Christensen hopes Azpilicueta and Alonso follow him from Chelsea to Barcelona Christensen hopes Azpilicueta and Alonso follow him from Chelsea to Barcelona

    Andreas Christensen hopes he is not the only defender to leave Chelsea for Barcelona this close season, with Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso both appearing to be targets for the Catalan club.

    Christensen was presented as a Barca player on Thursday after departing Stamford Bridge at the end of his contract.

    Spain internationals Azpilicueta and Alonso have been linked to the Camp Nou giants, too, and Christensen revealed he had discussed the move with both players.

    "I spoke to them and told them I was going to Barca," he said in a news conference. "They are great friends, and hopefully I can play with them.

    "I haven't met my team-mates here yet, who have a lot of quality, but I do want to play with [Azpilicueta and Alonso] again next season."

    Barca sporting advisor Jordi Cruyff was also asked about the Blues pair and said: "It is true that the change of ownership at Chelsea delays everything a bit.

    "We want to reinforce several positions of the team, and we have several names on the table.

    "What has struck me the most is that all the players open their eyes when they hear the name of Barca and are willing to lose money to adapt to the salary scale.

    "We are proud to see how people are willing to lose money to come to this club. The new wage structure must be fair and stable.

    "We don't want to talk about names, because they have a contract with their clubs, but it is true that we are looking to reinforce positions that we consider fundamental."

  • Barcelona 'waiting for Bayern's response' after Lewandowski bid Barcelona 'waiting for Bayern's response' after Lewandowski bid

    Barcelona have made a bid for Robert Lewandowski but are yet to hear back from Bayern Munich, Joan Laporta has revealed.

    Lewandowski emerged as a top target for the Blaugrana towards the end of the 2021-22 season, having enjoyed another outstanding campaign at Bayern.

    The forward, who turns 34 next month, scored 50 goals in all competitions to lead all players across Europe's top five leagues.

    He also topped the charts in netting once every 80 minutes on average.

    Lewandowski has made clear he would be open to a move to Barca, but progress has been slow while the club have wrapped up other signings.

    Franck Kessie and Andreas Christensen were presented at Camp Nou on consecutive days this week, with Barcelona president Laporta insisting there would be no further incoming business until the club had addressed their financial situation.

    That is not the only reason Lewandowski is not yet a Barca player, though, as Laporta suggested the ball remained in Bayern's court – even if the Bundesliga champions have publicly stated a desire to keep their star man.

    "You know we've made an offer for Lewandowski, and we're waiting for Bayern's response," the president said at Christensen's news conference on Thursday.

    "I want to thank the player for his gestures to come. [Bayern] must be evaluating the offer, and we are waiting for the answer."

    Laporta was also again asked about Cristiano Ronaldo, as he had been when appearing alongside Kessie the previous day.

    The Barca chief was reluctant to discuss Ronaldo specifically but had not been surprised by links to the wantaway Manchester United forward, who spent nine years at rivals Real Madrid.

    "We have the great luck that most players want to come to Barca," Laporta said. "When the possibility opens, they consider it and get excited.

    "We have seen this, and we have this great luck – for our history, the players we have had and what we have achieved.

    "I don't go into names, I'm talking in general. There are great players who are in big clubs, but when there is the option of Barca, they consider it.

    "Barca is still very attractive, and the credibility and illusion have returned. The proof is that players like Christensen want to continue their sporting career at Barca.

    "We will return to normal and go into the transfer market with greater guarantees of success."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.