EPL

Former referee Clattenburg backs officials over Merseyside derby call

By Sports Desk April 26, 2022

Referee Stuart Attwell was correct not to award Everton a penalty in Sunday's Merseyside derby at Anfield, according to former Premier League official Mark Clattenburg.

Relegation-threatened Everton wanted a spot-kick when Liverpool's Joel Matip challenged Anthony Gordon in the area early in the second half when the game was goalless.

The claims were waved away, though replays suggested there was contact between the pair.

After the match, Gordon told Sky Sports that Matip had stepped on his foot, while Frank Lampard suggested that had the incident occurred at the other end of the pitch, and an Everton player had challenged Mohamed Salah, a spot-kick would have been awarded.

Everton have reportedly contacted the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) over the incident, while it has been reported that the Football Association (FA) have asked Lampard to explain his comments.

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher said on Sky Sports that it was a "stonewall penalty" but suggested that Gordon, who had been booked for simulation earlier in the match, had to be careful not to build a reputation of being a diver.

Though Clattenburg disagrees that it was a penalty, he did echo Carragher's sentiments. 

"It's difficult because Gordon got cautioned early in the match," Clattenburg told Stats Perform. "I've watched him over the last months and he does go to ground a little bit too easy.

"And you don't prejudge things, you never prejudge things as a referee, however, it's in there as a doubt in your back of your mind that when a player goes down on the little contact, that you're probably not going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"So he probably didn't get the benefit of the doubt on the second one after being cautioned earlier and a match for simulation.

"If he had a chance to stay on his feet, I think he could have had the chance and he took the option to go down and the contact's minimal. For me, I think the best decision was play on."

There have been 12 bookings for simulation in the Premier League this season and half of these have been given to Everton players, with three of those coming across their two meetings with Liverpool.

The Reds, meanwhile, have gone 46 Premier League matches without conceding a penalty. That is 22 more than the next-longest active run (Manchester City - 24).

Asked about Lampard's comments, Clattenburg said: "I think that's a perception of football fans. From a refereeing point of view, we just want to get the right decision.

"With the support of VAR, the problem that they have sometimes is if the referee does give the penalty, the VAR wouldn't overturn it, because he doesn't give the penalty. He doesn't overturn it and people think well, why? Where's the right decision?

"There's no right decision or wrong decision as to what the referee gave at that time and he believed that Gordon had tried to win his team a penalty. Lampard's going to be upset - he's a coach, it was a really tight game at that point 0-0 at the time, so he's going to be upset because Everton could have won the Merseyside derby, fighting for their lives at the bottom."

Related items

  • Christensen hopes Azpilicueta and Alonso follow him from Chelsea to Barcelona Christensen hopes Azpilicueta and Alonso follow him from Chelsea to Barcelona

    Andreas Christensen hopes he is not the only defender to leave Chelsea for Barcelona this close season, with Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso both appearing to be targets for the Catalan club.

    Christensen was presented as a Barca player on Thursday after departing Stamford Bridge at the end of his contract.

    Spain internationals Azpilicueta and Alonso have been linked to the Camp Nou giants, too, and Christensen revealed he had discussed the move with both players.

    "I spoke to them and told them I was going to Barca," he said in a news conference. "They are great friends, and hopefully I can play with them.

    "I haven't met my team-mates here yet, who have a lot of quality, but I do want to play with [Azpilicueta and Alonso] again next season."

    Barca sporting advisor Jordi Cruyff was also asked about the Blues pair and said: "It is true that the change of ownership at Chelsea delays everything a bit.

    "We want to reinforce several positions of the team, and we have several names on the table.

    "What has struck me the most is that all the players open their eyes when they hear the name of Barca and are willing to lose money to adapt to the salary scale.

    "We are proud to see how people are willing to lose money to come to this club. The new wage structure must be fair and stable.

    "We don't want to talk about names, because they have a contract with their clubs, but it is true that we are looking to reinforce positions that we consider fundamental."

  • Leeds continue signing spree by bringing in Sinisterra from Feyenoord Leeds continue signing spree by bringing in Sinisterra from Feyenoord

    Leeds United have confirmed the signing of Colombia international Luis Sinisterra from Feyenoord, with the 23-year-old penning a five-year deal at Elland Road.

    The winger, who is the sixth capture of a busy off-season for the Whites, joins for a reported fee of £21.3million (€25m).

    Sinisterra follows United States duo Brendan Aaronson and Tyler Adams, Denmark's Rasmus Kristensen and the pair of Marc Roca and Darko Gyabi through the door at Elland Road.

    Leeds have moved to bolster their squad having survived relegation only on the final day last season and then lost Kalvin Phillips to Manchester City, with Brazil winger Raphinha's departure also anticipated.

    Sinisterra, who registered 23 goals and 14 assists in 49 games last term for Feyenoord, will add to Jesse Marsch's wide options alongside Aaronson, Daniel James and Jack Harrison.

    "I am very happy to be here in this beautiful club," Sinisterra said.

    "I know it's a historic club with beautiful fans. I heard a lot of things about the stadium and atmosphere, it's amazing, so I can't wait to feel that in person.

    "It was my dream when I was a child [to play in the Premier League], right now I am close to making that. Of course, I will work to bring quality to Leeds.

    "This is my feeling, that I want to do the same or even more for this team and for the fans.

    "I think it is also one of my characteristics, to enjoy and make the fans happy with my skills, my quality, and hopefully I can do that here at Elland Road."

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd told to raise their €60million bid for Ajax winger Antony Rumour Has It: Man Utd told to raise their €60million bid for Ajax winger Antony

    Manchester United have reportedly tabled a €60million bid for Ajax winger Antony.

    Antony's agent has been trying to secure a move to United and the Premier League since the Eredivisie season ended, according to Goal.

    The Brazilian is coming off a season where he tallied eight goals and four assists in 23 league games, as well as another two goals and four assists in seven Champions League fixtures, showing he has what it takes at the highest level.

     

    TOP STORY – RED DEVILS MAKE BIG-MONEY MOVE FOR AJAX'S ANTONY

    Goal's report says the back-to-back Eredivisie champions are determined to hold onto Antony for another season, and with three years still remaining on his contract, Ajax are in control of the negotiations.

    United's offer has fallen well below Ajax's acceptable figure, which is said to be €80m, although the discussions are ongoing.

    The Old Trafford club are also linked with Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans, according to The Sun, as well as Napoli striker and hot commodity Victor Osimhen, who ESPN claims is fetching a price north of €100m.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – Portuguese publication A Bola claims Chelsea are preparing a £38m for Sporting midfielder Matheus Nunes.

    – According to The Mirror, Everton have no plans to sell Dominic Calvert-Lewin after cashing in on Richarlison.

    Arsenal are looking to sell seven players, including Nicolas Pepe and Bernd Leno, to fund further moves in this transfer window, per The Sun.

    – According to Foot Mercato, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Sevilla and Napoli are all competing for Nice's 22-year-old French centre-back Jean-Clair Todibo.

    – Fabrizio Romano is reporting that Brentford have secured a €22m deal for Bologna's 20-year-old Scottish left-back Aaron Hickey.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.