EPL

Conte wants Spurs to make improvements clear at Old Trafford

By Sports Desk March 11, 2022

Antonio Conte is looking for Tottenham to continue improving when they travel to Manchester United as the two teams battle for a Champions League place.

After hammering Everton 5-0 on Monday, Tottenham sit just two points behind the fifth-placed United with two games in hand and are looking to strike a huge blow in the top-four race on Saturday.

Conte has won four of his six meetings with United in all competitions, most recently winning the FA Cup final 1-0 against them as Chelsea coach in May 2018. However, the Italian has lost on both of his visits to Old Trafford.

Ahead of the crucial clash, Conte spoke about the improvements made by his team recently and suggested that the Red Devils' struggles had offered hope for his team in the battle for the top four.

"I think we've improved, and we are improving through our work every day," he said. "We're ready to understand what our level is now.

"They [United] lost the derby [4-1 at Manchester City last week], and you know very well the importance of this type of game. But, we have to try to give continuity, to think of ourselves, not of others. We want to show our progress. 

"It's an important game on Saturday, [against] a team that is fighting this season for a place in the Champions League. Normally they stay regularly in this position, but this season they're struggling a lot.

"For this reason, we have to try to give our best to stay very close to the top of the table. Then, at the end of the season, we'll see what happens."

Conte's arrival at Spurs has brought dramatic improvements in their attacking play. In their last two outings, Spurs registered 4-0 and 5-0 wins over Leeds United and Everton, and are looking to net at least four goals in three consecutive league games for the first time since February 2004.

Meanwhile, Conte was again asked about the situation facing his former club Chelsea, whose owner Roman Abramovich was sanctioned by the British government in response to Russia's war on Ukraine.

The Italian, however, suggested that players and coaches cannot be held responsible for the actions of their owners, only for their own performances.

"In every situation, you have to take responsibility," the 52-year-old said. "When you work you have to take responsibility.

"I think this is a type of problem. The job is a player and for me my job is a coach. This question could be also for other sports, not only for football. 

"The moment the club decides to put you in charge, me as a coach or as a player, the most important thing is to take responsibility to give your best for the club."

Conte, who lifted the Premier League and the FA Cup during his two-year spell at Stamford Bridge, was also keen to stress that the publicity surrounding Chelsea's ownership should not detract from their past successes.

He added: "We are talking about four or five years ago. We're talking about a fantastic club, with an owner that made this club big.

"Don't forget that in the period he was the owner, Chelsea won everything, but it was for Chelsea. 

"I think also we have seen other Russian owners in other teams. Not only in football but in many sports."

Related items

  • 'Whatever they get, we'll chase it' – Root lauds England's 'incredible' record chase against India 'Whatever they get, we'll chase it' – Root lauds England's 'incredible' record chase against India

    Joe Root hailed England's "incredible" display with the bat after he and Jonny Bairstow starred in a historic 378-run chase against India, declaring: "Whatever they get, we'll chase it."

    Having resumed at 259-3 before a lively Edgbaston crowd on Tuesday, England raced to their most impressive victory yet under the Ben Stokes-Brendon McCullum regime, with Root and Bairstow hitting centuries to complete the highest run chase in the hosts' history and claim a 2-2 draw in the delayed series.

    The victory saw England surpass their 359-run chase against Australia in August 2019, as Root made his 28th Test ton in finishing 142 not out.

    He and Bairstow registered the highest fourth-wicket partnership in the fourth innings of a men's Test (269), as well as England's fifth-highest fourth-wicket stand in any innings.

    Bairstow, meanwhile, also became just the ninth player to hit four Test centuries in England in a calendar year as the home side's entertainers continued their red-ball revival.

    England also recorded three successive chases of over 250 runs in their series whitewash of world champions New Zealand last time out, and Root says the team's fearlessness with the bat left them feeling in control throughout day five.

    "It was pretty fun doing it. Throughout the whole summer, from that first game, we've said, 'whatever they get, we'll chase it'," Root told Sky Sports. "Ben said to us before the toss: 'We're not going to bat first, we're going to chase.'

    "That's the mentality of how we're going about things at the minute. Once we got that partnership going, we just felt in full control.

    "So much credit has to go to the two lads at the top [Alex Lees and Zak Crawley], the way they set the platform, the way they shifted the pressure straight back onto India.

    "To smash that new ball around on a wicket that was doing a bit was just incredible batting. It really made the work that we had to do afterwards a lot easier. It really was a sublime partnership against a world-class attack.

    "The feeling in the dressing room at the moment is 'whatever you get, we're going for it, and we're going to take it down'."

    On a personal level, Root added he was enjoying his cricket again after stepping down as captain in April, saying successor Stokes has instilled a newfound ruthlessness in the side.

    "When you're enjoying things it makes it a lot easier, you turn up to practice excited, you get out in the middle, and you're up for the contest," Root added.

    "I feel in a really good place and I just need to make sure I maintain that. One thing that's worked for me is just accepting it's a game of failure, batting, and you're not going to get it right every time.

    "It was good fun, like I said, there was a little bit on offer, but when you're putting pressure on bowlers it's very difficult for them to keep coming hard at you.

    "We recognised crucial parts of pressure, I think we soaked it up well at times in the second innings, and then when we got our chances to put it back on them, we did it.

    "We were ruthless with it, something that we might have lacked a bit in recent times – especially under my leadership!"

  • Galtier named new PSG coach as Pochettino departs Galtier named new PSG coach as Pochettino departs

    Christophe Galtier has been confirmed as the new Paris Saint-Germain head coach after Mauricio Pochettino left the Ligue 1 champions.

    PSG won the league by a margin of 15 points in the 2021-22 season, but Pochettino departed on Tuesday following his failure to deliver their first Champions League title.

    Galtier is the man who has been trusted to take over at PSG, strongly supported by new sporting director Luis Campos.

    Campos and Galtier have worked together previously when they combined at Lille to create the team that pipped PSG to the Ligue 1 title by a point in 2020-21.

    Galtier left Lille days after they won that championship, joining Nice.

    But he spent only a single season on the French Riviera – finishing fifth and reaching the Coupe de France final – before leaving late last month, with Nice bringing back Lucien Favre as his replacement.

    That move came as speculation persisted around Galtier's move to PSG, with Pochettino's exit anticipated since the end of last season.

    Pochettino's departure was confirmed just hours before Galtier appeared alongside PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi at a news conference.

    Galtier will be tasked with finally ending PSG's wait for Champions League glory, their latest failure in the competition coming in a second-leg collapse against eventual winners Real Madrid in the last 16.

    He becomes the club's sixth coach since 2012.

  • Pochettino leaves PSG ahead of anticipated Galtier appointment Pochettino leaves PSG ahead of anticipated Galtier appointment

    Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed the departure of Mauricio Pochettino, with Christophe Galtier expected to be named as their new head coach later on Tuesday.

    Pochettino's dismissal had long been expected, with PSG again failing to find success in the Champions League last season.

    The former Tottenham manager did deliver the Ligue 1 title, but a last-16 defeat to Real Madrid in European competition continued the club's wait for continental glory.

    A PSG statement only said the club had "ended their collaboration" with Pochettino, although it was expected he would be sacked with Galtier lined up by Luis Campos, the new football advisor who worked with the former Nice coach at Lille.

    "The club would like to thank Mauricio Pochettino and his staff for their work and wish them all the best for the future," the statement added.

    Pochettino, who spent two and a half years at PSG as a player, had been in charge since January 2021.

    He won the Trophee des Champions and Coupe de France in his first season in Paris – the first major honours of his coaching career – before adding the league championship in 2021-22.

    But Campos' arrival signalled a close-season rebuild, even with Kylian Mbappe remaining at the club on a new contract following interest from Real Madrid.

    PSG will hold a news conference on Tuesday afternoon, with Galtier in line for the top job in the capital.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.