McKennie's eight-week lay-off confirmed, Alex Sandro also injured

By Sports Desk February 23, 2022

Juventus have confirmed reports Weston McKennie fractured the second and third metatarsals in his left foot against Villarreal.

McKennie had to be substituted late in Juve's 1-1 Champions League draw on Tuesday.

Reports soon followed of a double break for the United States midfielder, and the Bianconeri confirmed those claims on their return to Italy.

McKennie is expected to miss eight weeks, ruling him out of next month's World Cup qualifying triple-header with the USMNT.

Alex Sandro is set for a shorter lay-off, although Juve will also be without the left-back for the time being.

He took a blow to his calf and is to be evaluated again in 10 days.

Meanwhile, 20-year-old forward Kaio Jorge was set for surgery having sprained his knee, capping a day of miserable injury news for Juve.

Related items

  • British billionaire Ratcliffe 'definitely a potential buyer' should Man Utd go up for sale British billionaire Ratcliffe 'definitely a potential buyer' should Man Utd go up for sale

    Jim Ratcliffe is "definitely a potential buyer" of Manchester United should the Glazer family put the club up for sale, according to a spokesperson for the British billionaire.

    A lifelong United fan, INEOS majority shareholder Ratcliffe failed in a last-gasp £4.25billion bid to buy fellow Premier League side Chelsea back in May.

    The club's owners – the Glazer family – have come under increased scrutiny following the Red Devils' poor start to the Premier League season, with supporters staging several protests against the Americans.

    Amid claims that the Glazers are considering selling a minority stake in the club, Ratcliffe would reportedly be willing to discuss a minority holding with the Glazers, but only if it was part of a plan to take full control at a later date.

    The billionaire's spokesperson said that part of the potential investment could involve upgrading the infrastructure, including the Old Trafford stadium.

    "If the club is for sale, Jim is definitely a potential buyer," his spokesperson told The Times. "If something like this was possible, we would be interested in talking with a view to long-term ownership.

    "This is not about the money that has been spent or not spent. Jim is looking at what can be done now and, knowing how important the club is to the city, it feels like the time is right for a reset."

    United have made a poor start to life under new boss Erik ten Hag, losing their season-opener 2-1 at home to Brighton and Hove Albion before being embarrassed 4-0 at Brentford.

    A trip to fierce rivals Liverpool follows on Monday.

  • Berardi signs new Sassuolo deal amid Juventus and Milan links Berardi signs new Sassuolo deal amid Juventus and Milan links

    Juventus and Milan target Domenico Berardi has signed a new contract with Sassuolo that will keep him at the club until 2027.

    Berardi impressed again for Sassuolo in the 2021-22 season, scoring 15 times in Serie A – the third consecutive campaign the forward has posted double figures in the league.

    He also recorded the most assists in the Italian top flight (14) and was the only Serie A forward to manage double figures for both goals and assists.

    The 28-year-old has been at Sassuolo his entire career, but there had been suggestions recently that he could be tempted by a new challenge.

    He was linked to Juventus, who co-owned him between 2013 and 2015, while Liverpool and Milan were also among those reportedly interested in the Italy international.

    However, it was announced on Wednesday that he had pledged his future to the club for a further five years.

    Berardi was in the headlines for the wrong reasons last week after he was involved in a heated spat with a Modena fan.

    Sassuolo were eliminated from the Coppa Italia by their Serie B hosts at Stadio Alberto Braglia, with their loss followed by Berardi apparently chasing an opposing supporter outside the ground.

    The footage went viral, but Berardi took to social media to offer an explanation, suggesting his family had been targeted off the pitch to spark his ire.

     

  • Cucurella vows to never cut his hair despite Romero incident Cucurella vows to never cut his hair despite Romero incident

    Marc Cucurella has vowed to never cut his hair in the wake of an incident involving Cristian Romero during Chelsea's 2-2 draw with Tottenham.

    The Spain international had his long locks pulled forcefully by Spurs defender Romero in the closing stages of Sunday's ill-tempered contest at Stamford Bridge.

    Cucurella, making his full debut for Chelsea following a £56million switch from Brighton and Hove Albion, ended up on the floor but no action was taken against Romero.

    Chelsea were leading 2-1 at that point but were pegged back by a Harry Kane header moments later, leaving boss Thomas Tuchel furious with the officials.

    Speaking at a press conference for his arrival on Wednesday, Cucurella was asked if he would consider cutting his hair to avoid any similar circumstances in the future.

    "No. Never. This is my style," he told reporters.

    Asked if he thought Romero was fortunate to avoid any punishment, Cucurella said: "Yes. For me it is too clear in the game, on the pitch.

    "I didn’t see it on the TV, the video. I think it's very clear but this is one error of the referee or VAR. Sometimes the referees have good decisions, sometimes not.

    "Maybe it's not an important action because it doesn't affect the final result, but we meet again in a few months and this is another opportunity."

    Cucurella set up fellow new signing Kalidou Koulibaly's opener against Tottenham to equal his assists tally from across 35 Premier League appearances with Brighton.

    The 24-year-old had more touches of the ball (99) than any other player on the field, while only team-mate Mason Mount (35) managed more passes in the final third than his 30.

    As well as being comfortable playing as a left wing-back, Cucurella can also play as a left-back and on the left side of central defence.

    He faces competition from Ben Chilwell for a regular starting spot, but the versatile defender has thanked his new colleague for helping him to adapt at a new club.

    "[Ben] helped me a lot in these first days, he's a very good person," Cucurella said.

    "We need to work hard to play in one position. We have two players for one position, but if one player is better, he will put him in the line-up. This is good for the team.

    "As for my best position, the three positions on the left side is good for me. I think maybe best for me is back four, left-back, because it's where I played in the academies."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.