EPL

Tuchel 'would be very angry' if Chelsea rivals are exploiting Premier League rules

By Sports Desk January 14, 2022

Thomas Tuchel declared he would be "very angry" if any of Chelsea's rivals unjustly take advantage of the Premier League's COVID-19 emergency postponement rules.

The Chelsea head coach was left frustrated in December when an application to have the Blues' game against Wolves postponed after a rash of positive cases in Tuchel's squad was turned down.

On that occasion, a weakened Chelsea team battled to a 0-0 draw at Molineux, and Tuchel insists he has always made every effort to field a side during the pandemic.

At his news conference on Friday ahead of a trip to Manchester City, the German coach was asked whether he felt others team might be looking to bend the rules, taking into account players unavailable through injury or Africa Cup of Nations involvement when seeking postponements.

"I strongly, strongly hope that's not the case," Tuchel said, "because otherwise I would be very, very angry, because we are doing everything to make games happen.

"We were made to play when we thought we should maybe not, so I can only strongly hope that the rules are the same rules for everybody."

The Premier League has mapped out guidance for clubs to follow when it comes to requesting a postponement for COVID-19 factors.

It states that when a club cannot field 13 outfield players from its squad list – or by using "appropriately experienced" under-21 players – a match will be postponed.

Chelsea possess formidable resources, even with injuries, illnesses and AFCON absences.

They have also recalled Kenedy from a loan with Flamengo, offering the 25-year-old winger a chance to reignite his Stamford Bridge career. He last featured for the Blues in the 2017-18 season and has since had loan spells at Newcastle United, Getafe, Granada and Flamengo.

With Ben Chilwell injured and an absentee for the foreseeable future, Tuchel needed extra options on the left. He believes Kenedy, despite playing much of his career as an attacking player, can prove adept as a left wing-back.

"Kenedy is back and I'm very happy about it," Tuchel said. "it's a huge opportunity for him to make his mark at this club and in this team.

"We cannot say Kenedy is the solution. He can be the solution, but the situation has not changed, we have long-term injuries with the wing-backs."

Related items

  • Wolves complete club-record Nunes signing Wolves complete club-record Nunes signing

    Wolves have confirmed the acquisition of Matheus Nunes for a club-record transfer fee.

    Nunes, a Brazilian-born Portugal international, has signed a five-year deal at Molineux after arriving from Sporting CP.

    It has been reported that Wolves are paying an initial £38million (€45m), with add-ons potentially taking the fee to £42.2m (€50m).

    The 23-year-old has been linked with a Premier League move over the last year, and follows Nathan Collins and Goncalo Guedes as Wolves' third signing of the transfer window.

    Bruno Lage will have the midfielder, who scored in his final match for Sporting, at his disposal for Saturday's trip to Tottenham.

    Capable of playing in any central role in midfield, Nunes is relishing the chance to play in the Premier League.

    "I'm very excited. For me, I could play tomorrow already, but I can't because the game is Saturday, but I'm looking forward to it," Nunes told Wolves' official website.

    "I think the club itself [convinced me] and also I spoke to some of my team-mates because I play with them for the national team.

    "The coach as well, he really wanted me, and I wanted to play in the Premier League. I think it's the right next step for me, and I'm very happy to be here."

    Lage has elected to stray away from the three-at-the-back system with which Wolves have become so familiar in recent seasons, a move that also facilitated club captain Conor Coady leaving to Everton on loan.

    Wolves lost to Leeds United in their opening game before drawing with newly promoted Fulham, and Nunes will be hoping to impress in order to seal his place in Portugal's World Cup squad.

    He added: "I just want to enjoy myself and deliver to the fans' expectations, help the club and try to make them enjoy our football."

  • British billionaire Ratcliffe 'definitely a potential buyer' should Man Utd go up for sale British billionaire Ratcliffe 'definitely a potential buyer' should Man Utd go up for sale

    Jim Ratcliffe is "definitely a potential buyer" of Manchester United should the Glazer family put the club up for sale, according to a spokesperson for the British billionaire.

    A lifelong United fan, INEOS majority shareholder Ratcliffe failed in a last-gasp £4.25billion bid to buy fellow Premier League side Chelsea back in May.

    The club's owners – the Glazer family – have come under increased scrutiny following the Red Devils' poor start to the Premier League season, with supporters staging several protests against the Americans.

    Amid claims that the Glazers are considering selling a minority stake in the club, Ratcliffe would reportedly be willing to discuss a minority holding with the Glazers, but only if it was part of a plan to take full control at a later date.

    The billionaire's spokesperson said that part of the potential investment could involve upgrading the infrastructure, including the Old Trafford stadium.

    "If the club is for sale, Jim is definitely a potential buyer," his spokesperson told The Times. "If something like this was possible, we would be interested in talking with a view to long-term ownership.

    "This is not about the money that has been spent or not spent. Jim is looking at what can be done now and, knowing how important the club is to the city, it feels like the time is right for a reset."

    United have made a poor start to life under new boss Erik ten Hag, losing their season-opener 2-1 at home to Brighton and Hove Albion before being embarrassed 4-0 at Brentford.

    A trip to fierce rivals Liverpool follows on Monday.

  • Cucurella vows to never cut his hair despite Romero incident Cucurella vows to never cut his hair despite Romero incident

    Marc Cucurella has vowed to never cut his hair in the wake of an incident involving Cristian Romero during Chelsea's 2-2 draw with Tottenham.

    The Spain international had his long locks pulled forcefully by Spurs defender Romero in the closing stages of Sunday's ill-tempered contest at Stamford Bridge.

    Cucurella, making his full debut for Chelsea following a £56million switch from Brighton and Hove Albion, ended up on the floor but no action was taken against Romero.

    Chelsea were leading 2-1 at that point but were pegged back by a Harry Kane header moments later, leaving boss Thomas Tuchel furious with the officials.

    Speaking at a press conference for his arrival on Wednesday, Cucurella was asked if he would consider cutting his hair to avoid any similar circumstances in the future.

    "No. Never. This is my style," he told reporters.

    Asked if he thought Romero was fortunate to avoid any punishment, Cucurella said: "Yes. For me it is too clear in the game, on the pitch.

    "I didn’t see it on the TV, the video. I think it's very clear but this is one error of the referee or VAR. Sometimes the referees have good decisions, sometimes not.

    "Maybe it's not an important action because it doesn't affect the final result, but we meet again in a few months and this is another opportunity."

    Cucurella set up fellow new signing Kalidou Koulibaly's opener against Tottenham to equal his assists tally from across 35 Premier League appearances with Brighton.

    The 24-year-old had more touches of the ball (99) than any other player on the field, while only team-mate Mason Mount (35) managed more passes in the final third than his 30.

    As well as being comfortable playing as a left wing-back, Cucurella can also play as a left-back and on the left side of central defence.

    He faces competition from Ben Chilwell for a regular starting spot, but the versatile defender has thanked his new colleague for helping him to adapt at a new club.

    "[Ben] helped me a lot in these first days, he's a very good person," Cucurella said.

    "We need to work hard to play in one position. We have two players for one position, but if one player is better, he will put him in the line-up. This is good for the team.

    "As for my best position, the three positions on the left side is good for me. I think maybe best for me is back four, left-back, because it's where I played in the academies."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.