Xavi hails 'spectacular' Gavi as 'the future of Barcelona'

By Sports Desk December 18, 2021

Xavi described midfielder Gavi as "the future of Barcelona" after his performance in Saturday's 3-2 LaLiga win over Elche.

The Catalans claimed just their third win since Xavi took over as head coach, although they were made to work for the result at Camp Nou.

A dominant first half saw them go into the break 2-0 ahead, with Ferran Jutgla heading in the opener before Gavi opened his Barca account with a stunning solo run and finish.

The 17-year-old became the youngest player to score in LaLiga this season, overtaking Real Madrid's 18-year-old Eduardo Camavinga, and the third-youngest for Barca in Spain's top flight this century.

Elche produced a stirring comeback in the second half as Tele Morente and Pere Milla scored within the space of a minute, ending a 43-year wait for a goal against the Blaugrana in the competition.

It took a superb finish from substitute Nico Gonzalez to secure all three points and move Barca to within three points of the top four.

Gavi's performance was a highlight, though, the midfielder completing all 35 of his first-half passes and producing the key assist for Nico's winner in the closing minutes.

 

Xavi said of the rising star: "It's amazing to have him, how he competes, what he creates, the goal, the assist. He's spectacular, he's the future of this club.

"Gavi is excited by the way he plays and competes, and that's priceless for a coach."

Before the game, Xavi had suggested some of his players had shown a worrying lack of understanding of positional play, and he felt that was on show during the contest.

Indeed, the former Barca midfielder felt they should have been smarter without the ball when it came to stopping Elche's rare attacks.

"Positional play isn't working and that continues to surprise me," he said. "Elche's goal is a huge mistake from us. We can't progress in this way; we could have made three fouls.

"It's a shame, but we're playing with youngsters who are the ones that make the difference.

"It was like a final. It was a game that we complicated for ourselves. They survived because of our mistakes and that can't be. A game you have under control can't be like that. We have to learn and have more responsibility.

"We have to learn and that's the only way to win."

However, on the importance of the result, he added to Barca TV: "For us, for how we are, these are three golden points.

"Being positive, we played an excellent first half, we were able to score more goals. We understood the spaces well, the wide players were two daggers, the defensive line was really good."

Related items

  • Jets QB Wilson feels 'better for sure' after 13-pound offseason weight gain Jets QB Wilson feels 'better for sure' after 13-pound offseason weight gain

    New York Jets quarterback Zach Wilson says he hopes having more weight will improve his performances after piling on the pounds following a disappointing rookie season in the NFL.

    The 22-year-old was selected second overall in the 2021 NFL Draft but did not have the desired impact during his first season out of college.

    Wilson threw for 2,334 yards, just nine touchdowns and 11 interceptions, with a dismal pass completion rate of 55.6 per cent.

    He also struggled physically over a punishing first year, sacked 44 times in 13 games as no QB in the NFL lost more sack yards (370, tied with Joe Burrow).

    But the ex-BYU man has added 13 pounds over the offseason, returning to the Jets as "a better athlete", he says.

    "I feel better for sure," Wilson added. "The energy, the ability to have that stamina throughout the whole practice is better.

    "In the long run, once we get into a game when we actually get hit and tackled, having more size on me will help."

    Having gone 3-10 as a starter last year, Wilson hopes for a stronger second season.

    The Jets have bolstered their offensive ranks, adding tight ends C.J. Uzomah and Tyler Conklin and drafting wide receiver Garrett Wilson and running back Breece Hall.

    "I feel like the entire staff, from the GM to ownership on down, those guys have done a great done of getting the pieces we need," Wilson said.

    "I think it comes back to my job. Now I have to do my job of getting these playmakers the ball.

    "How can I get these big tight ends, these really good receivers and these running backs the ball in space and do what we brought them here to do?

    "We're definitely going to be better. I don't think we'll be able to tell until the first game, but the improvement is there.

    "We have the talent, we have the guys. Now can we tie it all together and put something together?"

  • Rumour Has It: Arsenal target Osimhen, Jesus Rumour Has It: Arsenal target Osimhen, Jesus

    Arsenal are looking to bring in two forwards this off-season after narrowly missing out on Champions League football.

    With Alexandre Lacazette and Eddie Nketiah's contracts expiring and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang already leaving in January, the Gunners are in need in attack.

    According to reports, Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has identified the players to propel his side forward.

    TOP STORY – ARSENAL IDENTIFY STRIKER TARGETS    

    Arsenal are looking to bring in Victor Osimhen and Gabriel Jesus this off-season, according to Goal.

    Jesus' contract at Manchester City expires following the end of the next season, but the Gunners have reportedly been in talks for weeks with his representatives, with a deal early in the window in mind.

    Meanwhile, it is understood Osimhen's agent flew to London for a meeting with Arsenal technical director Edu over a possible transfer.

    With Napoli having qualified for the Champions League and club president Aurelio De Laurentiis driving a traditionally hard bargain, however, the 23-year-old's transfer will not come cheap.

    Although Arsenal may be looking for two forwards, it remains to be seen if they opt for two big-money signings.

    ROUND-UP

    – Eden Hazard has ruled out an off-season departure from Real Madrid, citing unfinished business after an injury-plagued time at the club, per HLN.

    – Sevilla will not be turning Anthony Martial's loan deal from Manchester United into a permanent move, according to the Daily Mail.

    – Raphinha has reportedly told Leeds United he wants to leave this off-season to play for Barcelona, Sport reports.

    – Chelsea coach Thomas Tuchel is set to have a £200m influx of transfer funds as Todd Boehly's takeover nears completion, the Telegraph is reporting.

  • Story stars as Red Sox offense piles on season-high display, Trevino leads Yankees walk-off win Story stars as Red Sox offense piles on season-high display, Trevino leads Yankees walk-off win

    The Boston Red Sox offense enjoyed a game of season highs as they destroyed the Chicago White Sox 16-3 on Tuesday, led by the in-form Trevor Story.

    The Red Sox piled on a season-high 16 runs, along with a season-high 19 hits, nine extra-base hits and four home runs with all nine batters having a hit.

    Kike Hernandez, who finished with two runs, two hits and two RBIs, started it off with a lead-off homer, followed by Story with a three-run blast to open up a 4-0 first-innings lead.

    The punishment did not stop, with Rafael Devers homering in the fourth inning, while Christian Vazquez delivered a three-run effort in the fifth.

    J.D. Martinez went four-for-five for three runs and one RBI, while Story and Vazquez both had four RBIs for the game.

    Martinez has an American League-best average of .366, while Story has eight home runs including six in his past five games.

    Trevino snaps Yankees skid

    The New York Yankees snapped their three-game skid with a walk-off 7-6 win over the Baltimore Orioles led by Jose Trevino.

    Trevino homered in the third inning and drove in three runs for the game, including a game-winning RBI in the 11th.

    The win was the Yankees' fifth walk-off victory of the season and ended an alarming run of losses to improve to a 30-13 record atop the AL East.

    Wild end as Braves rally to victory

    The Atlanta Braves rallied in a wild ninth-inning thriller to get past the Philadelphia Phillies 6-5 on William Contreras' walk-off single in center field.

    The Phillies entered the ninth down 4-3, but Bryce Harper's two-run blast put them up, before the Braves levelled it up when Ronald Acuna's sacrifice fly was dropped, allowing Dansby Swanson home.

    From the next at-bat, Contreras' drive to center field off Nick Nelson was enough for Acuna, on second base, to get the walk-off run.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.