Europa League knockout round play-off draw: Barcelona face Napoli

By Sports Desk December 13, 2021

Barcelona will face Napoli in the pick of the ties for the Europa League knockout round play-off.

Beleaguered European giants Barca crashed out of the Champions League group stages following a 3-0 loss to Bayern Munich.

It is the first time since 2003-04 that the Camp Nou club will not appear in the knockout stages of Europe's premier club competition.

Instead, the Europa League offers Xavi's side some hope of continental redemption, although Napoli – fourth in Serie A – represent tough opponents for a side languishing eighth in LaLiga.

Sevilla, six-time winners, will take on Dinamo Zagreb, while Scottish champions Rangers were handed a stern test after being drawn to meet Borrusia Dortmund.

Elsewhere, Porto and Lazio go head-to-head, while Atalanta face Olympiacos, with all ties being decided over two legs.

Europa League knockout round play-off draw in full:

Sevilla v Dinamo Zagreb
Atalanta v Olympiacos
RB Leipzig v Real Sociedad
Barcelona v Napoli
Zenit v Real Betis
Borussia Dortmund v Rangers
Sheriff Tiraspol v Braga
Porto v Lazio

Related items

  • Man Utd owner Glazer on Ten Hag: 'We know he'll do a great job' Man Utd owner Glazer on Ten Hag: 'We know he'll do a great job'

    Manchester United are in good hands with Erik ten Hag, according to one of the club's owners, Avram Glazer.

    Ten Hag has been appointed as United's new manager, replacing interim boss Ralf Rangnick.

    The former Ajax coach was in attendance as United lost to Crystal Palace in their final Premier League game of the season on Sunday, and he started work on Monday.

    United have not won the title since Alex Ferguson's final season in 2012-13, though they did finish as runners-up under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the 2020-21 campaign.

    That has led to frustration among the supporters, with numerous protests against the Glazer's ownership having been staged this season.

    Questioned by Sky News at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Monday, Glazer backed Ten Hag as the right selection, while also insisting money has "always" been spent to improve the squad, despite fan criticism.

    "That's why we hired him, we know he'll do a great job," said Glazer.

    He added that "we've always spent the money necessary to buy new players" when asked if funds would be available for Ten Hag ahead of next season.

    Commenting on United's dismal campaign, which saw them finish sixth with their lowest ever Premier League points tally (58), Glazer said: "It is a disappointing season, a disappointing season for everyone, and we're going to work hard to make next season a better season."

  • Salah and Son more deserving of Player of the Season award than De Bruyne, says Thompson Salah and Son more deserving of Player of the Season award than De Bruyne, says Thompson

    Mohamed Salah and Son Heung-min were more deserving winners of the Premier League Player of the Season award than Kevin De Bruyne.

    That is according to Liverpool legend Phil Thompson, who also told Stats Perform that Erling Haaland will not necessarily make Manchester City a stronger side next season.

    City playmaker De Bruyne last week edged out Son, Salah, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joao Cancelo, Jarrod Bowen, Bukayo Saka and James Ward-Prowse for the award.

    The Belgium international played a key part in City's successful title defence with 15 goals in 30 league appearances and a further eight assists.

    Remarkably, the 30-year-old's 15 goals came from an expected goals (xG) return of just 6.2, meaning he scored nine goals more than expected from the quality of his chances.

    However, his 23 direct goal involvements were fewer than Salah (36), Son (30) and Harry Kane (26) managed, albeit having played at least five games fewer than any of those.

    De Bruyne ranked above each of those players for chances created (87), though, and was behind only Alexander-Arnold (90) and Bruno Fernandes (89).

    But Thompson believes that Liverpool forward Salah and Tottenham's Son – who shared the Golden Boot with 23 goals – were more consistent than De Bruyne over the season.

    "I think it has to be Mo. I know the players have all given it to Kevin De Bruyne and he's a wonderful player," Thompson said. 

    "He's been wonderful for the last couple of months, but it's over a season and people get swayed by people who finish the season well. 

    "That is still in their minds when they're just putting their name on that form, or whether it's all done on phone now. 

    "But I would like to think over the whole year, and yes, Mo hasn't been rattling them in for the last six weeks or so, but overall, he has been.

    "They were talking around Christmas time that this is the best player in the world. He's not gone from being the best player in the world to playing second fiddle to De Bruyne. 

    "I'm sorry. Mo Salah was the player of the season and then probably Son has probably been more consistent over the whole nine months."

    City's title triumph was their fourth in the past five seasons and they have already moved to bolster their squad with the signing of Haaland from Borussia Dortmund.

    Haaland scored 86 goals in 89 games for Dortmund, a tally only bettered by Kylian Mbappe (90) and Robert Lewandowski (123) since January 18, 2020. 

    But, citing a rather mixed campaign for British record signing Jack Grealish, Thompson questioned whether Pep Guardiola will get the most out of Haaland.

    "He is a wonderful player, a great player," said Thompson, who won 17 major honours across 13 years playing for Liverpool, before a stint coaching the Reds.

    "Is he a missing piece for the jigsaw for them in the Champions League? They can still do things, but it might upset them a little bit. 

    "As you see with Grealish, who was £100million, has that worked? He's playing as a left-winger because it's the system that Pep likes. 

    "So you've got an out-and-out centre-forward who, yes, is full of energy, but he doesn't understand the press that City use. It'll be a change for them. That might change things." 

    Liverpool, who have seen Luis Diaz hit the ground running since joining from Porto in January, are themselves expected to be active in the upcoming transfer window.

    A deal for Fulham teenager Fabio Carvalho is already in place, but Thompson is not sure if signing a big name is really necessary in order to keep pace with champions City.

    "We have a set pattern, though I still hope that we'll sign a couple of players," he said.

    "I do believe that's what you have to do all the time to give that little bit of a buzz in the dressing room, to change things up on the pitch. And we have just come up short."

    The 92 points accrued by Liverpool this season is the joint-eighth most in Premier League history, yet it was not enough to pip City, who finished one point better off.

    Thompson added: "We have to find the magic ingredient to go that extra couple of points to win that league, but we don't have to do too much. 

    "Chelsea signed Romelu Lukaku and he played well those first half a dozen games. They were going to win the league the way the season started and look how that's unravelled.

    "It's not necessarily a gimme that it always works."

  • Man City defender Mendy pleads not guilty to nine sexual offences Man City defender Mendy pleads not guilty to nine sexual offences

    Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy has pleaded not guilty to nine charges of sexual offences.

    The France international appeared at a hearing in Chester Crown Court on Monday to enter pleas for the first time.

    Mendy denies seven counts of rape, one count of sexual assault and one count of attempted rape.

    The 27-year-old was charged following allegations made by six women, with the alleged offences said to have taken place between October 2018 and August 2021.

    Defender Mendy is due to face trial on July 25.

    The full-back was remanded in custody last August, but was released on bail in January.

    He was suspended by Premier League champions City after initially being charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault nine months ago.

    Co-defendant Louis Saha Matturie also appeared Chester Crown Court on Monday, pleading not guilty to eight counts of rape and four counts of sexual assault.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.