Freiburg make Bundesliga history in 6-0 first-half mauling of Gladbach

By Sports Desk December 05, 2021

Freiburg made Bundesliga history as they put sorry hosts Borussia Monchengladbach to the sword with a ruthless first-half display, moving 6-0 ahead at the break on Sunday.

Struggling Gladbach were humiliated by high-flying Freiburg, who became the first team in the German top flight to score five goals away from home inside 25 minutes of a match.

Freiburg had lost their previous two games, but Maximilian Eggestein and Kevin Schade put them two goals up with only five minutes gone.

Philipp Lienhart, Nicolas Hofler and Lucas Holer got in on the act before Nico Schlotterbeck put rampant Freiburg 6-0 up at half-time.

Stefan Lainer and Alassane Plea were substituted in the first half of a horror for the Foals, with boss Adi Hutter's job surely hanging by a thread.

Gladbach had previously been the only side to score five goals in the opening 25 minutes of a match, that coming at home to Braunschweig in October 1984.

Related items

  • Ten Hag outlines main target for first season in Man Utd hotseat Ten Hag outlines main target for first season in Man Utd hotseat

    Erik ten Hag will not be targeting a Premier League title challenge in his first season as Manchester United manager, instead aiming for a return to the Champions League.

    Ten Hag was confirmed as the club's next permanent manager in April, with the Dutchman set to pick up from interim boss Ralf Rangnick.

    After guiding Ajax to a third Eredivisie title in four full seasons at the helm, Ten Hag ended his contract in Amsterdam early in order to start work with United ahead of schedule.

    The 52-year-old and his two assistants, Mitchell van der Gaag and Steve McClaren, were present on Sunday as United lost their final match of the season 1-0 to Crystal Palace.

    Ten Hag was in Manchester the following day to be introduced to the media for the first time, with playing philosophy, recruitment and squad personnel among the key topics discussed at his news conference.

    Talk of seasonal targets was surprisingly absent, but in a separate interview with the club's media channels, Ten Hag provided some insight.

    "I said this is the project, to bring Man United back on top, but also we have to accept the current situation we are in," he said.

    "First of all, Man United belong in the Champions League, so that will be the first target."

    United did appear to be in contention – even if generally regarded as an outside bet – for the top four during much of the 2021-22 season.

    But their form suffered badly during the final stages of the season after they were knocked out of the Champions League by Atletico Madrid in March.

    Since losing 1-0 to Atletico at home on March 15, United won just twice in the Premier League and lost five times – among those defeats were 4-0 reverses at the hands of Liverpool and Brighton and Hove Albion.

    Their form over the past two months has laid bare the size of the task facing Ten Hag. While Rangnick did initially stabilise United slightly at the back after his appointment, in recent times they became leaky again and this was exacerbated by a lack of attacking ruthlessness.

    The choice of Ten Hag was said to have been influenced by the brand of football his teams play, with fans appearing to react more positively towards him than Mauricio Pochettino when it was reported the pair were the frontrunners.

    And he seems convinced success will follow if he can get his ideas across to the players.

    Asked about any wisdom he can take away from Ajax, he added: "There are similarities but also contradictions.

    "I have to learn and I have to adjust but I also have to stay myself. I'm convinced that we can bring in the structures and the way of play that we want.

    "If we get that done, we get that communicated to the players, then we will get that success.

    "Like I want to win. Winning is the most important, but also I have the intention to do that in a certain way and in an attacking way. 

    "If we cannot do it like that, we still have to win. That is what we have to put in our team."

  • Kane's future depends on his ambitions, says former Spurs boss Villas-Boas Kane's future depends on his ambitions, says former Spurs boss Villas-Boas

    Harry Kane's future at Tottenham hinges on whether he can achieve his ambitions by staying put, according to former Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas.

    Kane was heavily linked with a move to Manchester City at the end of the 2020-21 season, but the Premier League champions were seemingly unwilling to meet Spurs' asking price.

    The uncertainty around the player's future led to him sitting out the opening-weekend win over City at the start of the 2021-22 campaign.

    Despite a slow start to the season, with Kane managing only two goal involvements (one goal, one assist) in his first 13 Premier League games, he went on to record 24 (16 goals, eight assists) over his next 24 games.

    The turnaround in form came shortly after the arrival of Antonio Conte as Nuno Espirito Santo's replacement, and the Italian guided Spurs to fourth place and Champions League qualification, secured with a final-day 5-0 rout of Norwich City, in which Kane scored and assisted.

    Further questions regarding Kane's future are likely to arise during pre-season, though City have since moved on and completed the signing of Erling Haaland from Borussia Dortmund.

    Villas-Boas, who managed Spurs for 17 months until December 2013, feels Kane's future will be determined by his personal ambitions, and if any potential buying club is willing to match Tottenham's demands.

    "I think it's up to him to decide what is progress in his career or not," he told Stats Perform. "If you fulfil your own ambitions of being in Tottenham and making a part of the history in Tottenham, that is great.

    "If you have ambitions to go further and to test yourself in other environments, I think you will depart.

    "I think it is up to him, it's also up to the clubs who can come around knocking and take him away, but I wish him all the best as well.

    "He's a good boy, he has proved a lot of people wrong, he has established himself and I sincerely hope he does well."

  • Arteta makes big Saliba statement as he summons France defender for Arsenal duty Arteta makes big Saliba statement as he summons France defender for Arsenal duty

    Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta insists William Saliba will be returning to the Emirates Stadium next season after his year at Marseille.

    The centre-back has spent the season on loan at Marseille, and reports in France claimed the 21-year-old hoped to stay on with the Ligue 1 club for another campaign.

    However, Arteta says he will need Saliba in 2022-23 as Arsenal face Europa League commitments alongside their Premier League duties, and it means a long-awaited competitive senior debut awaits the young defender.

    The France international was signed by Arsenal from Saint-Etienne in July 2019, but immediately loaned back to Les Verts, and subsequent loans with Nice and Marseille have followed.

    Saliba was a near ever-present for Marseille, who finished second in Ligue 1, and was named in the league's team of the season.

    He won his first two senior caps for France in March friendlies against Ivory Coast and South Africa, putting him in the frame for a World Cup place. He has also been included in Les Bleus' squad for next month's Nations League games.

    "He has to come back," Arteta told RMC Sport. "He has the experience and the environment necessary to be competitive with us.

    "If he had stayed with us this year, with one Premier League match per week, with Ben White and Gabriel, he wouldn't have had half the playing time he had with Marseille, that's for sure.

    "For his growth and what he can do next season that wouldn't have been good. William wasn't with us because he wouldn't have had the playing time to gain experience. That's it, there's nothing else."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.