Xavi hails Dembele potential after Laporta claims Barca star is better than Mbappe

By Sports Desk December 03, 2021

Xavi claimed Ousmane Dembele could become the "best player in the world in his position" after Barcelona president Joan Laporta suggested the forward is better than Kylian Mbappe.

Dembele, who was a €105million signing from Borussia Dortmund in 2017, is out of contract at the end of the season and has been linked with a move away from Camp Nou in January.

The France international will be free to discuss fresh terms with clubs next month if a new contract cannot be agreed with current club Barca.

Laporta revealed on Thursday that negotiations were going slower than expected with Dembele but assured the following day that the 24-year-old wanted to stay and told TV3 he believes the Barca forward was better than Mbappe.

"We have a very good relationship with Dembele and he wants to stay," Laporta said.

"We also want him to stay because he's a great player. These situations need negotiations with representatives who want the best for the player.

"I'm enthusiastic about Dembele. He's a better player than Mbappe."

Asked for an update on the Dembele situation, Xavi told reporters:  "What I know is that it is not only the economic issue.

"We have left him a very clear position. He is a very important player with great talent. I already said it, he can be the best player in the world in his position. It depends on him. 

"We think of him as a key figure in this project. If it is because of the sporting project, he is happy. We are going to be positive. It is not just an economic issue. He wanted to feel loved and this he will have."

Questions were then put forward as to whether Dembele would feature without signing a contract and Xavi responded: "It would not be the objective, if he has a contract I think he has to play. 

"You have to be positive. But on the other hand, I am very clear on that, if you have a contract you have to play, also because of the image of the club. I do not value that option; I do not contemplate it."

 

Club legend Xavi took the reins after Ronald Koeman's dismissal in late October and has triumphed in his opening two LaLiga games – only four Barca managers have ever won their first three in the competition in the 21st century.

The Catalan club sit seventh, 13 points off leaders Real Madrid ahead of facing Betis, who have won just one of 20 previous top-flight meetings with Barca.

Xavi's side then face Bayern Munich on Wednesday in a crucial Champions League clash that they are likely to have to win to qualify for the knockout stages, but the former midfielder insisted his focus was on Betis.

"I look no further," Xavi responded when asked about the week ahead. "Each game is vital. Tomorrow is also a final. We cannot lose points if we want to connect and fight for the league. 

"We will play with the best 11, with whom I think they can perform better due to the circumstances. The league will tell us where we are at the end of the season.

"It is an important week like the next one will also be. And in January. Barca is a daily requirement and every game. 

"Every week at Barca is vital. There is no rest until the holidays and more in this situation, we can't give anything away.

"Barca aspires to win everything and time will always tell where we got to. We are a team made to win, compete and the notes will say where we have competed."

Related items

  • Ten Hag was right to criticise Man Utd players, says Dalot Ten Hag was right to criticise Man Utd players, says Dalot

    Erik ten Hag was justified in criticising his Manchester United players on the back of last week's heavy Premier League loss to Manchester City, full-back Diogo Dalot has said.

    United's four-match winning league run was ended in emphatic style by rivals City, who led 4-0 at half-time and 6-1 in the second half en route to an eventual 6-3 victory.

    It marked the fourth time United had conceded six goals in a Premier League match and leaves them sixth in the table after seven matches of the 2022-23 campaign.

    Ten Hag admitted after the match his side produced an "unacceptable" display, one in which they were "undisciplined", "lacked belief" and "made wrong decisions".

    And Dalot, who played the full 90 minutes at the Etihad Stadium, accepts he and his team-mates can have no complaints regarding their manager's choice words.

    "[Ten Hag's comments] did not hurt. I think this should be the standard of this club," he told reporters. "If you play for Man United you believe every single game. 

    "You have to have confidence as well, but you have to take the responsibility that you're playing for the biggest club in the world. 

    "This has to be normal for us but in a good way – not be overwhelmed but take it as a responsibility and this has to be the standard for every player."

    Dalot retained his place at right-back for Thursday's Europa League group trip to Omonia Nicosia as United responded to the City defeat with a 3-2 comeback win.

    It was not a vintage performance from United, with Karim Ansarifard giving the hosts a shock half-time lead, but Dalot says picking up all three points is all that matters.

    "After a defeat like City it is always tough, but it is time to take responsibility and especially improve in some respects, which we should for the rest of the season," he said. 

    "We had a lot of challenges [against Omonia] and we needed a response. The three points is what we came for and we are happy with that.

    "Overall we could have controlled the game much more than we did, especially in the last minutes and also in the minutes after we conceded."

    Marcus Rashford was introduced at the midway stage against Omonia and scored twice for United, either side of assisting fellow substitute Anthony Martial.

    That made Rashford the first United substitute to both score and assist in a Europa League match, with this their 47th game in the competition.

    "The substitutes made a really good impact, which is amazing for us as a team. I'm really happy with that," Dalot said. "They deserve it as well. 

    "It shows every player wants to play, to show they have a role in this team. Overall, there are some really positive things to take but also some things that need to get better."

    United return to league action on Sunday with a trip to Everton, against whom the Red Devils have won just one of their past seven league matches.

  • 'No intensity, no tactics, no ideas' – Pjanic hits out at former Barcelona coach Koeman 'No intensity, no tactics, no ideas' – Pjanic hits out at former Barcelona coach Koeman

    Miralem Pjanic has hit out at former Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman, claiming training sessions lacked intensity, tactics and ideas during the Dutchman's spell at Camp Nou.

    Pjanic made 19 league appearances for Barcelona in the 2020-21 season after joining from Juventus, spending the last campaign on loan at Besiktas before joining Emirati outfit Sharjah last month.

    The Bosnia and Herzegovina international has been critical of Koeman in the past, accusing the Dutchman of "disrespecting" him following his move to Turkey in September 2021.

    Speaking to Cadena Ser on Friday, Pjanic attacked Koeman's methods once more, saying: "I was very surprised in training with Koeman.

    "There was no intensity, no tactics, no ideas. We did not prepare for the games."

     

    Pjanic spent his most recent pre-season at Barcelona under Koeman's successor Xavi, and was far more enthusiastic in his assessment of the current Blaugrana coach.

    "Preparation and training was good under Xavi, similar to what I was used to at Juventus, for example, where we won everything," Pjanic added.

    "Now the sessions at Barca have a lot of intensity. Xavi and his staff were very clear with us at the start of the season. They told us this year we would have to run and go 2000 miles per hour.

    "Every day is like a game in training at Barcelona now, because there is so much quality in the squad and a lot of intensity."

    Xavi has led Barca to an unbeaten start to the season in LaLiga, having overseen a second-placed finish after taking over from Koeman midway through last season. 

  • Pioli demands Rossoneri response ahead of Juventus test Pioli demands Rossoneri response ahead of Juventus test

    Stefano Pioli has called for Milan to respond to Wednesday's demoralising defeat at Chelsea when they host Juventus in a huge Serie A clash on Saturday.

    Goals from Wesley Fofana, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Reece James condemned Milan to their heaviest ever Champions League group-stage loss last time out, ensuring the Rossoneri remain third in Group E.

    Milan have fared better on the domestic front, however, and sit four points clear of the under-fire Bianconeri in the early-season Serie A table.

    Speaking at Friday's pre-match news conference, Pioli called for Milan to set their chastening defeat at Stamford Bridge aside as he demanded defensive improvements.  

    "We put the game in London behind us straight away and we'll revisit it from Sunday onwards," Pioli said. "The players are eager to react. 

    "This doesn't necessarily mean we'll win because the opponents exist too, but we won't be lacking in desire, motivation and determination.

    "We've conceded a few too many goals. We can do better, and Chelsea did well to make the most of our mistakes the other night. 

    "When there are simple situations, a team of our quality needs to be more attentive. We're a bit more of an attacking side than last year, but I don't think that it can be put down to this.

    "Often, we have the numerical superiority, and we can interpret certain situations better."

    Milan's last home outing saw them lose to Serie A leaders Napoli, ending a six-match winning streak at San Siro in the competition. The Rossoneri have never lost successive home league games under Pioli.

    Meanwhile, Pioli has defended young forward Charles De Ketelaere, who has yet to score since joining from Club Brugge, comparing his early struggles to those of Rafael Leao and Sandro Tonali.

    "He's on the right path, and I'm happy with what he's doing. I remember Rafa three years ago and Tonali in his first year," Pioli said.

    "Many were quick to criticise them and question their qualities. Charles is talented and needs time to adapt and learn about certain situations, but he's on the right path."

    Although Juventus have made an underwhelming start to the new campaign, they have lost just four Serie A games in 2022, and Pioli expects a stern test.

    "During a season, there are two or three games that carry more weight, and going up against Juventus is of particular importance for many reasons," Pioli said.

    "We're all responsible for the performance in London, and we're determined to show that we're a different team compared to the one that showed up on Wednesday."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.