EPL

Guardiola: It is incredible Man City standards have not dropped over six seasons

By Sports Desk November 28, 2021

Pep Guardiola said it is incredible that Manchester City's standards have not dropped over time after his team delivered a 2-1 home win against West Ham.

City defeated Everton 3-0 last Sunday in the Premier League prior to edging past Paris Saint-Germain on Wednesday and defeating West Ham four days later.

Ilkay Gundogan opened the scoring for the hosts at a snowy Etihad Stadium on Sunday, with substitute Fernandinho adding a second before Manuel Lanzini delivered a consolation strike for the visitors.

City, who have now kept seven clean sheets in their last eight Premier League home games, have triumphed in 10 of their last 11 top-flight meetings with West Ham.

After another positive result, Guardiola hailed the work of his squad who he believes exhibited a winning mentality that continues to serve them so well.

"We created enough chances against them, under these conditions and circumstances for both teams," Guardiola told BBC Sport.

"The last 15-20 minutes was impossible to play but, especially after the game against PSG which was so demanding mentally and physically, to get this team performance, it's a great result for us.

"The Premier League title is always the most important one of the season because of the fact you play a lot of games in special situations, the more you adapt and show resilience then we can show that mentality.

"After we have won three Premier Leagues in the last four years then it is easy for there to be a tendency for our standards to dip and to say it is not important.

"But to be near the top of the league and qualify [in the Champions League], after being six seasons together and the levels [of performance] still have not dropped – these guys are magnificent and incredible."

West Ham have registered just one win in their last 16 Premier League visits to City, while collecting just five points from a possible 78 in games against all reigning champions.

However, Guardiola opted to praise the opposition as well as the ground staff that ensured the match could go ahead.

"We created chances and it could have been three or four," he said. "The absences we had, all the guys that came in were brilliant and that's why we win a lot, because of the mentality of these guys.

"We cannot forget which opponent we faced. West Ham have everything: Set-pieces they're so strong, they defend really well, on counter-attacks they are a machine, they attack channels like no team in the Premier League. We know how difficult they are.

"The groundskeepers were the man of the match. They did an incredible job today."

Related items

  • Wolves confirm Hwang Hee-chan to join the club permanently Wolves confirm Hwang Hee-chan to join the club permanently

    South Korea international Hwang Hee-chan will join Wolves permanently at the end of the season, the Premier League club has confirmed.

    Hwang initially joined on a season-long loan from Bundesliga side RB Leipzig and agreed personal terms on a deal before arriving in England.

    Wolves have now activated a clause to make the move permanent from July for a fee reportedly in the region of £12million.

    The deal will run to 2026 and was confirmed by the club's website on the player's 26th birthday.

    The former Salzburg forward made an impactful start at Wolves, scoring four goals in his first six Premier League games, including his first strike just 20 minutes into his debut after coming off the bench in the 2-0 win at Watford in September.

    He has failed to find the net since scoring the opener in the 1-1 draw at Leeds United in October, however, and has not played since sustaining a hamstring injury in the 1-0 win at Brighton last month.

    Hwang first came to prominence at Salzburg during the 2019-20 season, playing in an attack that included Erling Haaland, Takumi Minamino and Patson Daka, before signing for RB Leipzig for around €9m in 2020.

    However, he only managed three goals and four assists in 29 appearances across all competitions for Die Roten Bullen – albeit only five of those were starts.

    Wolves technical director, Scott Sellars, was delighted to confirm the news and told the club's website: "He's had a really positive affect on not only the team, but also the whole football club, and he's been a fantastic addition to Wolves.

    "We could see straight from our first meeting with him that Hee-chan is such a focused and determined young man who wants to be successful in his football career.

    "He's not had the experiences he would have liked at Leipzig and he wanted a change, and he's grabbed his opportunity here in the Premier League with both hands. He's shown a lot of determination, a lot of focus and certainly a lot of professionalism every day, and he's got his rewards in terms of his performances and his goals."

  • Rule change means Premier League clubs must have at least four COVID-19 cases to request postponement Rule change means Premier League clubs must have at least four COVID-19 cases to request postponement

    Premier League teams will need to have at least four confirmed COVID-19 cases in order to apply for a match to be postponed from next month.

    In a change to league rules announced on Wednesday, a new "impact threshold" will be introduced, meaning clubs can no longer request for a game to be called off if they have a single case of coronavirus.

    The change will come into effect ahead of the match between Burnley and Watford on February 5. The game was twice rescheduled because of cases of the virus leaving each side struggling to name a full contingent of players.

    Announcing the new rule, the Premier League said: "Throughout the pandemic, the Premier League has adapted its guidance in response to the wider public health situation. The guidance was last updated in December in response to the emergence of the Omicron variant.

    "The League's postponement rules and guidance are designed to protect the wellbeing of players and staff, while maintaining the sporting integrity of the competition and the quality of squads playing League matches.

    "Club applications will continue to be assessed on a case-by-case basis. The Premier League Board examines a number of factors, including the ability of a club to field a team; the status, severity and potential impact of COVID-19; and the ability of the players to safely prepare for and play the match.

    "The detail within all applications is scrutinised by the League’s specialist staff before the Board makes its decision."

    Previously, teams could apply for a postponement if they had a confirmed case of the virus within the squad and were unable to name 13 available players plus a goalkeeper, with injuries and international absences also taken into account.

    Frustration began to build among teams and fans as 22 matches were called off, including the north London derby between Tottenham and Arsenal, with the Gunners' request for a new date granted after Martin Odegaard tested positive.

  • Bruno Guimaraes to Newcastle agreement reports 'false', insist Lyon Bruno Guimaraes to Newcastle agreement reports 'false', insist Lyon

    Lyon have insisted there has been no deal struck with Newcastle United for midfielder Bruno Guimaraes.

    Guimaraes, who is currently on international duty with Brazil, is said to be a target for a number of Premier League clubs, including Arsenal.

    However, on Wednesday, The Athletic reported that it was struggling Newcastle, who are looking to make big moves in order to boost their Premier League survival bid under Eddie Howe, who had made big inroads in a deal for the 24-year-old.

    The Athletic's report stated that Guimaraes would undergo a medical in South America in order for the transfer to go through.

    Numerous other outlets, including BBC Sport, then reported that Newcastle were closing in on securing the transfer, though stopped short of stating a medical would soon take place.

     

    Yet Lyon have now issued a statement denying any speculation that an agreement had been reached.

    "Olympique Lyonnais categorically denies the false information disseminated by many media reporting an agreement between Newcastle and OL for the transfer of Brazilian international midfielder Bruno Guimaraes," the statement read.

    "In this transfer window period where the slightest rumour is often presented as reality, Olympique Lyonnais reminds that only information officially released by the club is to be taken into consideration."

    Guimaraes joined Lyon from Athletico Paranaense in January 2020. He has gone on to make 56 appearances in Ligue 1, scoring three goals. 

    He also has an Olympic gold medal to his name, having helped Brazil defend their crown in Tokyo last year.

    Newcastle have made two signings in January, bringing Kieran Trippier back to the Premier League from Atletico Madrid, and drafting in Chris Wood from relegation rivals Burnley.

    The Magpies are also attempting to sign a centre-back, though have so far been frustrated in their attempts to bring in Sevilla's Diego Carlos, while on Wednesday, reports claimed Brighton and Hove Albion had turned down an approach for Dan Burn.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.