EPL

Conte fears serious injury for Tottenham defender Romero

By Sports Desk November 24, 2021

Antonio Conte is worried that Cristian Romero's hamstring injury is more serious than first thought as Tottenham await the results of a second scan.

Romero sustained the damage during Argentina's goalless draw with Brazil in last week's World Cup qualifier and missed Tottenham's 2-1 win over Leeds United on Sunday.

The severity of the injury remains unclear, but Conte – who is also without Giovanni Lo Celso and Dane Scarlett for Thursday's trip to Mura in the Europa Conference League – is not optimistic.

"I think his injury is a bit serious. We have to wait. I don't know how long he will need to recover," Conte said at Wednesday's pre-match news conference. 

"His injury is worse than Lo Celso and Scarlett. He needs another scan, then the doctor can give more details."

Spurs signed Romero from Atalanta on an initial loan, with a permanent deal for a reported fee of £35.25million (€42m) set to be sealed in 2022, and the 23-year-old has made 13 appearances in all competitions to date.

Despite the defender potentially facing a prolonged spell on the sidelines, Conte is not yet thinking about bringing in a replacement in the upcoming transfer window.

"I'm not thinking about January now," he said. "There's still a long way to go. But I also need to make my evaluations about these players, the whole squad and then we'll see."

Conte will take all of his available players to Slovenia for Tottenham's Europa Conference League tie with Mura, who they beat 5-1 in the reverse fixture under Nuno Espirito Santo.

That includes versatile wide player Ryan Sessegnon following his return to action at the weekend after returning from a three-month spell out of his own.

He has been hampered by injuries throughout his two-and-a-half years with Spurs, which includes a spell on loan with Hoffenheim, but Conte is hopeful the 21-year-old can now get a run of games under his belt.

"Ryan has a great potential. I have seen in the past he suffered injuries, now we are trying to work in the right way with him," Conte said. 

"It's very important during the training session to push yourself. We are working with him for two weeks and he's ready to start tomorrow. I can't wait to see his performance. He's a talented player. Now he needs regularity."

Conte added: "All the players available will come with us, they must be ready to play. I need to make rotations. Some players are a bit tired because of games with national team and our training. 

"But many need game time. We need to take this fixture seriously. But I need to know the players much better and need to see that during a game."

Related items

  • New Man Utd boss Rangnick looks set to miss Arsenal game with work permit still processing New Man Utd boss Rangnick looks set to miss Arsenal game with work permit still processing

    Manchester United have confirmed new interim manager Ralf Rangnick's work permit is still processing, meaning he is likely to be absent for Thursday's match against Arsenal.

    Following much speculation, United announced on Monday an agreement had been reached with Rangnick over a relationship that is set to span two and a half years.

    Initially, Rangnick will take charge until the end of the season before moving into a consultancy role.

    Rangnick has previously shaped German clubs such as Hoffenheim and RB Leipzig from top to bottom, with his future advisory position at Old Trafford suggesting United are planning an overhaul of their football operations, which have long appeared outdated compared to their rivals.

    Since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's dismissal, his former assistant Michael Carrick has been in charge and presided over a 2-0 Champions League win at Villarreal and a 1-1 draw away to Premier League leaders Chelsea.

    United are next in action at home to Arsenal on Thursday, though it seems Rangnick will not be present.

    An update posted to United's website read: "[It] will be the first game since Ralf Rangnick was appointed interim manager, even though the new man is still waiting for his work visa to be processed."

    To further complicate matters, people travelling to the United Kingdom are required to take a coronavirus test within two days of entering the country, and individuals must quarantine until their result has been returned.

    As such, even if Rangnick received his visa on Wednesday, the likelihood of him taking a coronavirus test and getting the result in time to attend Thursday's match is remote.

    United are at home again on Sunday when they host Crystal Palace, seemingly a more realistic target for Rangnick's first game.

  • Ballon d'Or: Matthaus 'doesn't understand the world anymore' after Lewandowski misses out to Messi Ballon d'Or: Matthaus 'doesn't understand the world anymore' after Lewandowski misses out to Messi

    Bayern Munich great Lothar Matthaus "does not understand the world anymore" after Robert Lewandowski missed out to Lionel Messi for the 2021 Ballon d'Or award.

    Poland international Lewandowski was considered the favourite to come out on top at Monday's ceremony in Paris following another impressive 12 months for Bayern.

    The 33-year-old has scored 53 times in 42 appearances this calendar year so far – 15 more than any other player in Europe's top five leagues across all competitions.

    He has averaged a goal every 67 minutes and also made history earlier this year by breaking Gerd Muller's 49-year-old record for the most goals in a Bundesliga season with 41.

    Despite his impressive achievements in front of goal, Lewandowski finished second in the voting to Lionel Messi, who claimed a record-extending seventh Ballon d'Or.

    Matthaus, who won the coveted trophy in 1990, was among those to question the final standings, which saw Jorginho finish third, Karim Benzema fourth and N'Golo Kante in fifth.

    "To be honest, after this vote, I don't understand the world anymore," he told Sky Sport. 

    "With all due respect to Messi and the other great nominated players, nobody deserves it like Lewandowski."

    Lewandowski, who also missed out on the 2020 award after it was scrapped due to the COVID-19 pandemic, instead had to settle for the inaugural Striker of the Year award.

    Bayern director Oliver Kahn was also surprised to see Messi pip Lewandowski to football's top individual prize.

    "Lewandowski deserved the Ballon d'Or just as much as his top scorer trophy because he has performed at the highest level for years," Kahn said.

    "But congratulations nonetheless to Lionel Messi. 

    "Even without the Ballon d'Or, Lewy has long since arrived as one of the Olympus of football greats. He will still be a Ballon d'Or contender in the years to come."

    While Messi had a rather more mixed campaign at club level compared to Lewandowski, the Paris Saint-Germain forward did inspire Argentina to Copa America glory in July.

    Messi scored 28 goals in 29 games in the first half of 2021 with Barcelona before completing a shock transfer to PSG, for whom he has scored four goals in his first 11 games.

    Lewandowski took to social media on Monday to congratulate the superstar forward on his latest triumph, which takes him two clear of five-time winner Cristiano Ronaldo.

    "Congratulations Leo Messi and Alexia Putellas, winners of the #BallonDor2021, congratulations also to all nominated players," he tweeted.

    "I won Striker of the Year Award and no player can win an individual award without the strongest team and loyal fans behind him. Thank you for your support."

  • PSG chief Al-Khelaifi keen to keep Mbappe and rejects Zidane link PSG chief Al-Khelaifi keen to keep Mbappe and rejects Zidane link

    Paris Saint-Germain remain hopeful of reopening contract talks with Kylian Mbappe and want him to win the Ballon d'Or with the club, president Nasser Al-Khelaifi declared.

    Al-Khelaifi also dismissed speculation that PSG want to replace head coach Mauricio Pochettino with Zinedine Zidane.

    Speaking after Lionel Messi became the first player from the club to win Ballon d'Or honours – largely attributed to him winning the Copa America with Argentina – Al-Khelaifi made his position known about the burning issues affecting PSG.

    There have been deep worries that Mbappe will walk away on a free transfer at the end of the season, when his current deal expires. Real Madrid wanted him in the last transfer window and are expected to move again. Unless Mbappe commits to a new deal, he would be free to talk to the likes of Madrid from January.

    But Al-Khelaifi can see a future in which Mbappe continues to terrorise defences in a PSG shirt, just as he is currently doing in tandem with former Barcelona captain Messi.

    The PSG president addressed that within the context of Messi's award success, saying: "For the club, it is the first, I hope it is not the last. I hope that other players will win it, starting with Kylian. I'm sure he wants to win it."

    Speaking to L'Equipe, Al-Khelaifi said of the 22-year-old striker's future: "You know what I think, Kylian is a great player, a great man. Kylian knows what he wants to do, us too."

    On the potential for new contract talks, the PSG president added, according to RMC Sport: "We hope."

    It remains to be seen whether either Mbappe or Pochettino stay in Paris beyond the end of this season.

    There have been persistent rumours that PSG would consider swapping Pochettino for former Real Madrid boss Zidane, but Al-Khelaifi threw his support behind the Argentine coach currently at the helm.

    "Pochettino is our coach and he is happy to be with us, we are happy to work with him," Al-Khelaifi said.

    "He is doing a good job. Everyone needs time. I see all the rumours, we have to stop talking about this, it's not true.

    "We're truly happy with the coach. We haven't had any contact with Zidane. He's a great coach, but we also have a very good one."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.