EPL

Southgate hopes Henderson and Grealish 'won't miss much football'

By Sports Desk November 14, 2021

Gareth Southgate is hopeful Jordan Henderson and Jack Grealish "won't miss too much football" after the duo withdrew from the England squad ahead of Monday's World Cup qualifier against San Marino.

The Three Lions' manager confirmed that both players suffered minor injuries in Friday's 5-0 win over Albania.

Grealish did manage to train the following day, but he has now returned to Manchester City for further assessment, while Henderson has headed back to Liverpool.

England only need to avoid defeat against the lowest-ranked team in the world to qualify for Qatar 2022.

Speaking at a media conference on Sunday, Southgate said: "With Henderson it was within the [Albania] game. With Jack, we think a little bit perhaps within the game, but he trained yesterday. As a precaution, we scanned them both, so there are small injuries on the scans.

"We just hope that they're not going to miss too much football ball from here on. It shouldn't be too bad in either case, but we just have to see how that progresses."

Southgate confirmed that Raheem Sterling has also withdrawn from the squad for personal reasons.

He also ruled Chelsea's Mason Mount (dental) and Manchester United's Luke Shaw (concussion) out of contention, with the pair having also missed the Albania game.

It was confirmed earlier on Sunday that Crystal Palace's on-loan midfielder Conor Gallagher has been drafted in from England's U21 squad for his first senior call-up.

Southgate insisted that both he and Arsenal's Emile Smith Rowe – who made his senior debut off the bench against Albania – had been called up on merit.

When asked about older players like James Maddison, Callum Wilson and Patrick Bamford being overlooked, he said: "We haven't had an opening for a forward, and Patrick's been injured as well. In terms of the others, we think Conor and Emile are playing better than others that we could have called in, simple as that.

"The door is never closed. I like the idea of bringing young players in because you're investing in England's future.

"It would be easier perhaps in the short term to bring in an older player, but I'm not certain there are older players who are playing better than those two at this current moment in time in the positions they are playing."

Related items

  • Tuchel does not rule out January additions for Chelsea Tuchel does not rule out January additions for Chelsea

    Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has not ruled out making a signing in the remainder of the January transfer window, but stopped short of making any guarantees.

    The Blues have seen their title charge come to a grinding halt in recent games, having not won any of their last four Premier League outings and only claiming victory twice from their last nine.

    They now sit 12 points behind leaders Manchester City having played a game more, and a point behind second-placed Liverpool having played two games more.

    When asked at a news conference ahead of Sunday's game against Tottenham whether any January additions are likely, Tuchel replied: "I cannot say no to it. Also, I am not convinced it is a clear yes. Let's wait and see."

    The game with Spurs at Stamford Bridge will be Chelsea's 16th since the start of December, and Tuchel believes that the hectic schedule coupled with injuries has played a significant part in his team's drop in form.

    "The schedule that we had in particular was a bit too much," he said. "At the same time we struggled with injuries, first in midfield then in the second period it was strikers and now it's suddenly all defenders who are out. Yeah, it's a bit awkward.

    "We struggled to deal with it and find the same rhythm, find the same consistency in our results... but still the way we played and approached the games was always okay."

    Following a 1-0 defeat at Manchester City last weekend and a 1-1 draw at Brighton on Tuesday, the former Borussia Dortmund coach gave his players two days off in preparation for the Spurs game, and confessed that he spent his time at the dentist.

    "You really disconnect at the dentist," he said. "It is hard to think about football when you are in the dentist chair.

    "We needed [a break]. And I meant all of us. This is a team effort and I felt that the team was mentally tired, which I could understand. I felt them disappointed and frustrated after the result at City and it was harder for us to overcome the obstacles that for us are normal to overcome.

    "There are reasons for it. Reasons that we talked about, reasons for which we cannot be blamed.

    "I know it is always like this and we don’t want to make excuses, but we want to be adult enough and honest enough to look at the reasons why we feel this kind of fatigue."

  • 'Kelleher will start EFL Cup final', says Klopp 'Kelleher will start EFL Cup final', says Klopp

    Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has stated that Caoimhin Kelleher will start for the Reds in next month's EFL Cup final against Chelsea, fitness permitting.

    The Irish goalkeeper is the understudy to Alisson at Anfield, but has played in three of their five EFL Cup games this season, including Thursday's 2-0 semi-final second leg victory at Arsenal.

    Kelleher has played 15 times in all competitions for Liverpool, with former Republic of Ireland international Shay Given recently suggesting that the 23-year-old should leave the club to seek regular football.

    However, Klopp insisted before the first leg against Arsenal that the EFL Cup was "his competition" and explained that Alisson only played in last week's 0-0 draw at Anfield because the Brazilian needed "rhythm" after a spell out with COVID-19.

    Speaking at a news conference ahead of Sunday's trip to Crystal Palace in the Premier League, Klopp was asked whether Kelleher would retain his place for the Wembley final on February 27, to which he replied: "Caoimh will play, if he is fit.

    "We consider Caoimh as an outstanding goalkeeper and we want to keep him here, and to keep him here you have to make sure a few things.

    "It is all about how you perform, and if he didn't perform the way he did I would maybe see it differently. He shows that he deserves all the trust and faith we have in him.

    "I don't see any reason why Caoimh won't play. He deserves it, he brought the team there."

    Klopp was also effusive in his praise for Trent Alexander-Arnold, whose two assists for Diogo Jota in the win against the Gunners took his tally for the season to 14 in all competitions.

    In the top five leagues in Europe, only Bayern Munich's Thomas Muller (18) has more, with the German having played four more games than Alexander-Arnold.

    "I don't know anyone who is like Trent, who is a right-back and is that decisive," Klopp said. "On the bus on the way home the television is on and you hear people talking and they say 'yeah defensively he is not that good'... honestly I thought he played outstandingly well defensively last night.

    "[Gabriel] Martinelli, we will talk about this player in the future. If he avoids major injuries he will have a proper career, so he's really good and what he did there against [Alexander-Arnold] and how he kept him busy defensively and where he showed up and all these kinds of things... the [overall] package of Trent is insane.

    "It's not that he delivers every day, there are still departments where he can improve and has to improve and we work on that... he still has 15 years or whatever to play, to create and to score and to learn and to improve. The last five years were a good start in the career I would say."

  • Rudiger 'fully committed' to Chelsea despite uncertainty over new contract Rudiger 'fully committed' to Chelsea despite uncertainty over new contract

    Antonio Rudiger insists he is "fully committed to the cause" at Chelsea even though there are no guarantees he will sign a new contract.

    The centre-back is free to negotiate with foreign clubs as his deal expires at the end of the season, with Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid among the teams said to be interested.

    According to some reports, Rudiger, who turns 29 in March, wants to be made the highest-paid defender in the Premier League if he is to stay at Stamford Bridge.

    Negotiations over a new deal appear to have stalled, but the Germany international says his commitment to the club will not waver even while talks drag on.

    "Like always, I'm fully committed to the cause," he told Sky Sports.

    "Talks are between my side and the club, and that's everything you need to know."

    Rudiger also denied the suggestion that it would be difficult to focus on performing well for Chelsea for the rest of the season amid the uncertainty.

    He said: "Yes, I find it easy to do. I'm not just saying words, I'm fully committed to the cause. I think I've always shown that.

    "There were worse times than this, so that's why for me, I've found it easy to deal with. I'm focused on what is happening here and on the pitch.

    "I owe it to everyone here around the club, the coach, my team-mates and my family, so that's why I'm only focused about the important things.

    "The other things are speculation – I cannot say anything about that."

    One thing Rudiger made clear is that his family are very happy in London and that they would inevitably be a key factor in deciding his next move.

    "You need to listen to the missus," he said. "You have to think about your family. My kids were born here in London so that tells you that my family feel great here.

    "The rest is up to other people to make decisions, and then we will see if we come together or not."

    Rudiger has made 179 appearances for Chelsea in all competitions since joining from Roma in 2017.

    He has won four trophies with the club, including the Champions League and the UEFA Super Cup in 2021.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.