EPL

Premier League clubs unanimously oppose biennial World Cup proposal

By Sports Desk November 11, 2021

Premier League clubs are unanimously opposed to FIFA's proposal for a biennial men's World Cup.

While the idea of a World Cup every two years had been tentatively mentioned in the past, it gained traction in July when former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger – now FIFA's head of global football development – publicly backed the potential change.

FIFA began carrying out a feasibility study and Wenger insisted a biennial World Cup "is what the fans want", but the proposals have been met with widespread criticism.

UEFA officials have been particularly vocal in their opposition, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) expressed concerns, and players and managers have largely questioned the wisdom of such an alteration to the football calendar.

The Premier League has now lent its collective voice to the conversation, denouncing FIFA's proposals – which also encompassed the extension of international windows – due to concern for player welfare and domestic football.

A Premier League statement confirmed none of the 20 Premier League clubs were in favour of a World Cup every two years, while CEO Richard Masters said: "The Premier League is committed to preventing any radical changes to the post-2024 FIFA International Match Calendar that would adversely affect player welfare and threaten the competitiveness, calendar, structures and traditions of domestic football.

"We are open to reforms and new ideas, but they must enhance the complementary balance between domestic and international football in order to improve the game at all levels.

"This process should also involve meaningful agreements with the leagues that provide the foundations for the game.

"We will continue to work with supporter groups, players, domestic and international stakeholders to find solutions that are in the best interests of football's long-term future."

Related items

  • Concern for former Newcastle winger Atsu after earthquake in Turkey Concern for former Newcastle winger Atsu after earthquake in Turkey

    There is concern for Hatayspor winger Christian Atsu following devastating earthquakes in Turkey and Syria.

    The tremors have killed more than 2,000 people, and reports suggest search and rescue teams are still looking for Atsu, along with his club's sporting director Taner Savut.

    Atsu, 31, scored a stoppage-time winner for Hatayspor in Sunday's Super Lig game against Kasimpasa.

    The Ghana Football Association was seeking to make contact with Hatayspor as news was awaited on the player's wellbeing.

    "We pray for Ghana international Christian Atsu and victims of the earthquake in Turkey and Syria," a Twitter post said.

    "We continue with our efforts to establish contact with officials of Hatayspor and the Turkish Football Federation, considering the difficult situation.

    "Our thoughts and prayers are with Christian Atsu and our brothers and sisters in Turkey and Syria. We remain hopeful for positive news."

    Newcastle United, who Atsu represented for five years, playing 121 times, posted: "Praying for some positive news, @ChristianAtsu20."

    Several leading players have shared their support for those affected in Turkey and Syria.

  • Neymar returns to training ahead of big week for PSG Neymar returns to training ahead of big week for PSG

    Neymar has returned to full training with Paris Saint-Germain in a big boost for the French giants ahead of three big matches across the next week.

    The Brazil international has not featured in PSG's past two games – league wins over Montpellier and Toulouse – due to suffering from muscular fatigue.

    However, Neymar is now in contention to return for Wednesday's Classique against Marseille at Stade Velodrome in the last 16 of the Coupe de France.

    Ligue 1 leaders PSG then face fourth-placed Monaco in the league on Saturday, before hosting Bayern Munich in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie next week.

    PSG posted an image of Neymar in training on Monday, while fellow recent injury absentee Sergio Ramos was also present.

    Kylian Mbappe is expected to miss at least the first leg of that showdown with Bayern, however, with the prolific forward still nursing a thigh injury.

    Prior to his short lay-off, Neymar – who celebrated his 31st birthday on Sunday – had scored 17 goals and assisted 14 more in 25 appearances this season.

    Those 31 goal involvements put Neymar level with team-mate Mbappe and behind only Manchester City's Erling Haaland (34) among players from Europe's top five leagues.

  • Carlos Queiroz appointed new Qatar coach Carlos Queiroz appointed new Qatar coach

    Carlos Queiroz has been named as the new head coach of Qatar.

    The 2022 World Cup hosts had been without a coach since long-time boss Felix Sanchez's contract expired at the end of last year.

    But Queiroz has succeeded Sanchez, having himself been out of work since Iran were eliminated from the World Cup.

    That was the third finals the former Real Madrid coach had been to with Iran, although his two spells with the team were separated by unsuccessful stints with Colombia and Egypt.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.