EPL

Man Utd striker Cavani struggling with tendon injury

By Sports Desk November 09, 2021

Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani has revealed the injury that kept him out of the defeat to Manchester City is a recurrence of tendon damage.

Cavani missed the 2-0 derby loss to the Premier League champions at Old Trafford on Saturday after scoring in the win at Tottenham and making a substitute appearance during the Champions League draw at Atalanta.

The striker was omitted from Uruguay's squad for World Cup qualifiers against Argentina and Bolivia following the setback.

Cavani says the injury is one he was also troubled by in pre-season but did not shed any light on how long he might be sidelined for.

The forward told El Observador: "The issue was like this. Before starting the season, I had discomfort in a tendon.

"It made me spend a couple of weeks out until I began to gain some minutes [on the pitch] in my team. I had to go back to the national team, always with a bit of pain, but with the hope that it would disappear. It was improving but, after Tottenham, it started coming back. 

"They are difficult injuries and I decided to have the treatment so that it does not continue to get worse, and to recover as soon as possible to be fit for my team and the national team."

Cavani has only started two games for the Red Devils this season, coming off the bench six times and scoring just the one goal against Spurs.

Struggling United are next in action against Watford at Vicarage Road on November 20.

Related items

  • Haaland ultimatum is 'total b***s***', claims Watzke Haaland ultimatum is 'total b***s***', claims Watzke

    Hans-Joachim Watzke has slammed the suggestion that Borussia Dortmund have issued Erling Haaland an ultimatum over his future as "total b***s***".

    Haaland, who joined Dortmund in January 2020 from Austrian club Salzburg, is one of the most sought-after talents in European football.

    Since the Norway forward made his Dortmund debut just over two years ago, he has netted 79 goals in all competitions.

    He marked his two-year anniversary with a goal on Tuesday, though Dortmund nevertheless suffered a shock 2-1 defeat to St Pauli in the DFB-Pokal.

    It means that, for the first time since 2006-07, neither Dortmund nor Bayern Munich will contend in the DFB-Pokal quarter-finals, while none of the winners from across the previous 26 years are left in this season's competition.

    That defeat followed on from an emphatic Bundesliga win over Freiburg on Friday, though it was after that match that Haaland commented on his future.

    The 21-year-old claimed Dortmund had been pressuring to make a decision on his next move, and that he would soon make a call on whether he will look to leave the club at the end of the season. 

    However, Dortmund chief executive Watzke, who did over the weekend acknowledge they had stressed the importance of Haaland making a decision soon to the striker, has insisted the club have not made any ultimatum.

    "Some in the media write that BVB would give him an ultimatum, which is total bullshit," he told ARD.

    "Dortmund didn't put the gun on his chest."

    Asked if Dortmund had been unsettled by Haaland's comments, Watzke added: "Erling was obviously a bit bothered by it, but we can't influence that. We told him that too."

    Since his Dortmund bow, only Robert Lewandowski (107) has scored more goals than Haaland across all competitions, of players in Europe's top five leagues.

    Haaland averages a goal every 80 minutes, while his tally has come from an expected goals (xG) of 63, suggesting his finishing has been way above the standard that would be expected given the quality of chances that have been created for him.

    As for big chances – which Opta define as an opportunity from which a player would reasonably be expected to score – Haaland has been presented with 110 and converted 65 of them.

    That equals a conversion rate of 59.1 per cent, which is better than eight of the top 10 goalscorers across Europe's top five leagues in that time, with Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes, who has netted 32 of his 49 big chances (65.3 per cent) having a better conversion rate.

  • Rumour Has It: Atletico's Suarez wants Gerrard reunion at Aston Villa Rumour Has It: Atletico's Suarez wants Gerrard reunion at Aston Villa

    Luis Suarez's future at Atletico Madrid is unclear with his contract to expire at the end of the season.

    Suarez helped Atleti win LaLiga last term with 21 goals.

    The Uruguayan joined Atletico from top-flight rivals Barcelona in 2020 on a two-year deal.

    TOP STORY – SUAREZ WANTS GERRARD REUNION AT VILLA

    Suarez wants a reunion with former Liverpool teammate Steven Gerrard at Aston Villa, reports Gerard Romero.

    The Atletico Madrid forward's contract expires at the end of this season and has been sounded out by numerous Brazilian clubs.

    Suarez has had offers from Palmeiras, Corinthians and Atletico Mineiro but wants to link up with Gerrard who took over at Villa in January.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - ESPN claims Paris Saint-Germain have opened talks with Manchester United's Paul Pogba and Milan's Franck Kessie, as part of their effort to convince Kylian Mbappe to stay in the French capital amid interest from Real Madrid.

    - Juventus have made an enquiry for Borussia Monchengladbach's Denis Zakaria according to 90min as they prepare for Arthur Melo to join Arsenal .

    - Arsenal's bid to sign Fiorentina's Dusan Vlahovic looks to have hit a roadblock with the Serbian only interested in joining Juventus, reports the Mail.

    - Milan want to bolster their backline and are interested in a loan deal for Tottenham's Japhet Tanganga, claims Fabrizio Romano.

    - Leicester City and Newcastle United may rival Brentford to sign Inter's Christian Eriksen, reports the Times.

  • 'Not at those figures' – Juventus rule out move for Man Utd's Martial 'Not at those figures' – Juventus rule out move for Man Utd's Martial

    Juventus have ruled out a move for Manchester United's Anthony Martial after being boggled by the cost of a deal to bring in the Frenchman.

    Club chief executive Maurizio Arrivabene said the expense that would be involved in recruiting the forward meant it was a non-starter.

    Martial was absent from United's squad for Saturday's 2-2 Premier League draw with Aston Villa, which interim manager Ralf Rangnick explained was down to the player not wanting to be included.

    However, the 26-year-old denied that was the case, and he and Rangnick appear to have resolved their issues.

    Ex-Monaco man Martial has scored 79 goals since his United debut in September 2015 – only Marcus Rashford (91) has scored more for the club in that period.

    But he has played just 358 minutes in the first team this season, scoring only once, and a January exit may make sense for all parties. Martial is contracted to United until 2024.

    Juventus have been linked with him, but Arrivabene told Sport Mediaset: "Absolutely not at those figures. We don't wait for them to come down, we don't wait at all. We don't talk about it."

    Of more pressing concern may be the soon-to-expire contract of star Argentine forward Paulo Dybala, but Juventus appear relaxed about that matter, happy to wait until next month to address it.

    "I said we would talk about it in February," Arrivabene said. "There is not only Dybala, but also [Juan] Cuadrado, [Mattia] Perin, [Federico] Bernardeschi who is a European champion and [Mattia] De Sciglio."

    Juventus are confident such players will not be chasing pre-contract deals with other clubs in the meantime.

    "We have excellent relations with the players," Arrivabene said. "They are very close to Juve. We talked and made an appointment for February. We will calmly do what we have to do."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.