Klopp all but rules Keita out of Atletico clash

By Sports Desk October 31, 2021

Jurgen Klopp does not expect Naby Keita to be involved in Liverpool's Champions League clash against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday after sustaining a hamstring injury.

The Guinea midfielder had to be withdrawn just 19 minutes into Saturday's 2-2 draw with Brighton and Hove Albion, for which he had been a doubt after being clattered by Paul Pogba in last weekend's 5-0 hammering of Manchester United.

Klopp could not offer much information about Keita's condition immediately after the match, simply confirming it was a hamstring injury and that he "can't say more".

But at the very least, it appears Klopp will be preparing to face Atletico at Anfield without Keita as the Reds look to seal top spot in Champions League Group B with two matches to spare.

Klopp told Liverpool's official website: "He told me, he showed me [the] hamstring. So, I don't know, we will see; obviously [Sunday] or the day after he will have a scan and then we will know [the extent of the injury].

"But if somebody feels the hamstring, it would be the first time that he is ready for the next game. So, I can't see that."

A lengthy spell on the sidelines would not only be a blow for the Reds, who are already struggling for numbers in midfield, but also for Keita himself amid arguably his best run of form in a Liverpool shirt.

Injuries have been a regular frustration for the central midfielder, whose 16 Premier League starts in his first season (2018-19) remains the most he has managed in a single campaign since joining from RB Leipzig.

In 2020-21, Keita played just 10 league games as five different injury problems restricted his impact severely, but he is already up to seven appearances this term.

His off-the-ball tenacity has been a real asset to Liverpool as well, with Keita's 4.0 tackle attempts per 90 minutes second only to Alexis Mac Allister (4.9) among those to have played at least 180 minutes in the Premier League this season.

He is also averaging 2.5 successful tackles each game, with only Mac Allister (3.7) and Todd Cantwell (3.2) winning the ball back with greater regularity.

Related items

  • Pochettino leaves PSG ahead of anticipated Galtier appointment Pochettino leaves PSG ahead of anticipated Galtier appointment

    Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed the departure of Mauricio Pochettino, with Christophe Galtier expected to be named as their new head coach later on Tuesday.

    Pochettino's dismissal had long been expected, with PSG again failing to find success in the Champions League last season.

    The former Tottenham manager did deliver the Ligue 1 title, but a last-16 defeat to Real Madrid in European competition continued the club's wait for continental glory.

    A PSG statement only said the club had "ended their collaboration" with Pochettino, although it was expected he would be sacked with Galtier lined up by Luis Campos, the new football advisor who worked with the former Nice coach at Lille.

    "The club would like to thank Mauricio Pochettino and his staff for their work and wish them all the best for the future," the statement added.

    Pochettino, who spent two and a half years at PSG as a player, had been in charge since January 2021.

    He won the Trophee des Champions and Coupe de France in his first season in Paris – the first major honours of his coaching career – before adding the league championship in 2021-22.

    But Campos' arrival signalled a close-season rebuild, even with Kylian Mbappe remaining at the club on a new contract following interest from Real Madrid.

    PSG will hold a news conference on Tuesday afternoon, with Galtier in line for the top job in the capital.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Galtier named new PSG coach as Pochettino departs BREAKING NEWS: Galtier named new PSG coach as Pochettino departs

    Christophe Galtier has been confirmed as the new Paris Saint-Germain head coach after Mauricio Pochettino left the Ligue 1 champions.

    PSG won the league by a margin of 15 points in the 2021-22 season, but Pochettino departed on Tuesday following his failure to deliver their first Champions League title.

    Galtier is the man who has been trusted to take over at PSG, strongly supported by new sporting director Luis Campos.

    Campos and Galtier have worked together previously when they combined at Lille to create the team that pipped PSG to the Ligue 1 title by a point in 2020-21.

    Galtier left Lille days after they won that championship, joining Nice.

    But he spent only a single season on the French Riviera – finishing fifth and reaching the Coupe de France final – before leaving late last month, with Nice bringing back Lucien Favre as his replacement.

    That move came as speculation persisted around Galtier's move to PSG, with Pochettino's exit anticipated since the end of last season.

    Pochettino's departure was confirmed just hours before Galtier appeared alongside PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi at a news conference.

    Galtier will be tasked with finally ending PSG's wait for Champions League glory, their latest failure in the competition coming in a second-leg collapse against eventual winners Real Madrid in the last 16.

    He becomes the club's sixth coach since 2012.

  • Tottenham forward Richarlison banned for one game by FA after throwing smoke bomb Tottenham forward Richarlison banned for one game by FA after throwing smoke bomb

    Tottenham forward Richarlison has been banned for one game and fined by the Football Association (FA) for improper conduct, having thrown a smoke bomb during Everton's Premier League win against Chelsea in May.

    The Brazil international recently joined Spurs from the Toffees in a deal reported to be worth an initial £50million, signing a five-year contract.

    But he will miss out on his side's first game of the 2022-23 season after accepting a one-match suspension over his actions with his former club, having thrown a smoke bomb towards the stands after scoring at Goodison Park.

    "An independent Regulatory Commission has suspended Richarlison de Andrade for one match and fined him £25,000 following a breach of FA Rule E3 that took place during a Premier League game on Sunday 1 May 2022," read an FA statement.

    "The Tottenham Hotspur FC forward admitted that his conduct while playing for Everton FC during the 46th minute of this game against Chelsea FC was improper, and his sanction was imposed during a subsequent hearing."

    The ban means Richarlison's competitive debut for Spurs will be delayed past their Premier League opener against Southampton on August 6, leaving him in line for an early reunion with Chelsea on August 13 instead.

    The Selecao star will likely get his first taste of action during Tottenham's pre-season schedule, however, with Antonio Conte's side set to face a host of international opponents including Sevilla, Rangers and Roma.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.