EPL

Klopp disappointed with Liverpool's second-half showing in Brighton draw

By Sports Desk October 30, 2021

Jurgen Klopp was left frustrated after a 2-2 draw against Brighton and Hove Albion, conceding that Liverpool were "not good enough" in the second half.

The Reds manager saw his team throw away a two-goal lead on Saturday, and they could even have lost it as the Seagulls pushed as hard as the hosts for a winner in the final quarter of the game.

Early goals from Jordan Henderson and Sadio Mane were cancelled out by a fantastic strike from Enock Mwepu before the break, and then a second-half equaliser from Leandro Trossard.

Liverpool also had two goals disallowed, with Mane denied from making it 3-0 in the first half by VAR after the ball ricocheted off his arm when closing down Robert Sanchez, while Mohamed Salah saw his strike ruled out for offside, which would have extended his scoring run to 11 games.

Speaking to BBC Match of the Day, Klopp said: "It feels like a defeat. It's not only because we were 2-0 up and didn't win, it's because the game I saw, we scored two of the most beautiful goals I've ever seen us score, which were disallowed.

"The pressing goal for Sadio was just unlucky, if you want to teach pressing, you would show this situation. But disallowed for handball, I guess.

"Top moments in the first half where we showed how we can hurt Brighton, played some top passes through the centre and played really good football but were only 2-0 up.

"In the second half, we were not good enough. The body language I didn't like it at all. It was like 'oh my God, it's really tough'. Yeah, it was clear before the game.

"The best way to defend Brighton is to have the ball yourself and play in the spaces where they are exposed, but we didn't do that and that's a problem."

 

 

Meanwhile, Brighton manager Graham Potter was delighted with the effort from his team, and hailed it a "fantastic game of football".

"It's a fantastic performance, the players deserve all the credit. They've played with such courage and intensity, it was a fantastic game of football. Both teams went at it, we were toe-to-toe. It's a point for us and a performance we can build on.

"It could have been 3-0 but instead it was 2-1. Those little things need to go your way, but I think our second goal was really well worked. You could tell the crowd was frustrated and that's a sign of how well we were playing.

"It's a fantastic game of football against a wonderful opponent. We're happy with a point, delighted with the performance.

"There's a nice belief in the team, a nice togetherness and resilience. They believe in each other. I'm really pleased because they put so much into that game today."

Related items

  • Carolina Hurricanes keep Martin Necas on two-year deal Carolina Hurricanes keep Martin Necas on two-year deal

    The Carolina Hurricanes and Martin Necas have agreed to a two-year, $6million contract to keep the young winger with the franchise through the 2023-24 season.

    Necas had been a restricted free agent.

    Selected 12th overall by the Hurricanes in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, Necas has totalled 119 points (45 goals, 74 assists) in 203 career games.

    At 23 years old, Necas is considered a key piece for Carolina's future. He tallied 14 goals and 26 assists last season but managed just five assists in 14 Stanley Cup playoff games.

    After the New York Rangers eliminated the Hurricanes in Game 7 of the second round, Necas said he wanted to be a more consistent scoring threat in the future.

    "I've got to help the team more, got to produce way more,” Necas said in June. "That's what everyone kind of expects from me. I didn't do it this year, so like I said, it was disappointing for me."

    Carolina won the Metropolitan Division last season with a 54-20-8 record.

  • Van Bronckhorst ecstatic as Rangers comeback keeps Champions League qualification dream alive Van Bronckhorst ecstatic as Rangers comeback keeps Champions League qualification dream alive

    Giovanni van Bronckhorst was overjoyed by the memorable comeback instigated by Rangers on Tuesday that set up a Champions League qualification play-off against PSV.

    Rangers lost 2-0 to Union Saint-Gilloise in Belgium last week, a result that Van Bronckhorst even felt flattered his team.

    But just as Ibrox proved a dependable fortress en route to the Europa League final last season, home advantage helped Rangers over the line again.

    James Tavernier's penalty on the stroke of half-time was added to by Antonio Colak's close-range header near the hour mark.

    Bayern Munich loanee Malik Tillman then nodded in the crucial goal 12 minutes from time, and Van Bronckhorst – who will go up against his former Netherlands team-mate Ruud van Nistelrooy in the next round – was left ecstatic with the 3-2 aggregate success.

    "It's another amazing night in Europe," he said. "There was a lot of pressure on us to deliver and to go through to the next round. We played really well at moments and kept the pressure on them.

    "We know the atmosphere can be very hostile and we created that atmosphere along with the fans. I'm very proud of the performance of my team."

    Rangers only lost once at home in the Europa League last term, a 2-0 defeat to Lyon in September, and Van Bronckhorst once again highlighted the fans' role in their turnaround on Tuesday.

    "We know the fans are always there but if we have a performance like we did today then the crowd will be even more hostile," he continued.

    "They keep pushing us to go forward so at moments in the game you have to make the right decision not to go too quick with your attacks. We knew we were capable of doing this but we keep doing it time after time. And we did it again.

    "They had some chances – the biggest one was saved in the second half. Some chances we just dropped our bodies in front of them to block the shots.

    "It's a big performance. We needed that. I’m very proud of the team. We're still in contention to go to the group stages of the Champions League. We'll to do everything possible to be in the Champions League this season."

  • Marseille confirm deal 'in principle' to sign Alexis Sanchez Marseille confirm deal 'in principle' to sign Alexis Sanchez

    Alexis Sanchez is Ligue 1 bound after Marseille confirmed they had an agreement "in principle" with the former Arsenal and Manchester United forward.

    Inter announced the termination of Sanchez's contract on Monday.

    The Chile international was part of the Inter side that won the Serie A title in the 2020-21 season, while he also scored a dramatic 121st minute winner against Juventus in the Supercoppa Italiana in January.

    Marseille announced an imminent deal for Sanchez on Tuesday, saying in a statement: "Olympique de Marseille and Alexis Sanchez have agreed on the arrival of the player via an agreement in principle.

    "The Chile international with 143 caps who has won 17 trophies in his career will commit in the next few hours subject to the success of his medical examination."

    Sanchez will become the club's 12th signing of the transfer window, with several temporary deals from last season made permanent, as well as further additions including Jordan Veretout, Jonathan Clauss and a loan move for Nuno Tavares.

    The 33-year-old only managed five goals in 27 Serie A appearances for Inter last season, though just seven of those were starts.

    In all, Sanchez made 109 appearances for the Nerazzurri after arriving from United in 2019, scoring 20 goals.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.