Pique: I still intend to retire at Barcelona, but not as a substitute

By Sports Desk October 24, 2021

Gerard Pique has reiterated his desire to see out the remainder of his career at Barcelona, but suggested he will consider retiring early if he is no longer a regular starter.

The ex-Spain international is into his 14th season at Camp Nou since returning to the club from Manchester United in 2008 and remains a key presence at the back.

Pique turns 35 in February but is confident in his ability to keep going, despite competition from Ronald Araujo, Eric Garcia, Clement Lenglet and Samuel Umtiti.

"I've never had competition like that, but it is not a bad thing," he told El Pais. "As a young man you learn at what level you can compete.

"When I was 19 and on loan at Real Zaragoza I discovered that I could perform in LaLiga against the greats.

"At 34 you know what level you are at and whether you're going to play.

"The debate over 'veterans' and youngsters is created by the media and extends to the fans.

"It's like with the national team when there was a campaign about whether Pique should be there or not – that's where the whistles generated from.

"As some of us who have been here for many years know, it's good to see new people. I understand youngsters are the attraction because they're the future and it's a project.

"But older players are necessary, and I'm not just saying that because I'm the oldest. I have the experience of having lived through a lot and can pass that on."

 

Pique proved his importance to Barca with the winning goal in Wednesday's 1-0 victory over Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League.

At 34 years and 260 days at the time of the goal, that saw the centre-back surpass Sylvinho (34d, 241y) as the oldest player to score for Barca in the competition.

He is also now also the joint-leading goalscorer among defenders in Champions League history, level with Real Madrid icon Roberto Carlos (16 each).

"The truth is I don't feel like a 'veteran'," Pique said. "The other day I saw the record I was the oldest European scorer for Barca and that depressed me a little.

"But then I saw Roberto Carlos was the defender I'm level with for most goals and that was better. 

"Of course, if I reach an age that I'm no longer considered as important as I've previously been, I will go. 

"But I still have my rebellious side, I still make the same jokes and I feel physically well.

"I'm not the fastest, but I can compete against the best and not feel inferior. As long as it remains like that, I'll play."

Asked if that means he may consider joining another club before retiring should he fall out of favour at Camp Nou, Pique said: "I will retire at Barca. That is for sure.

"What I won't accept is playing as a substitute. If it comes to the last three months of a season and that happens, well... But a whole year on the bench? No, I don't want that."

Related items

  • Kimmich to miss remainder of 2021 due to lung problem Kimmich to miss remainder of 2021 due to lung problem

    Bayern Munich will be without Joshua Kimmich for the remainder of 2021 as the midfielder recovers from coronavirus.

    Kimmich, who has not yet been vaccinated against the virus, has not played for Bayern since November 6.

    The 26-year-old was considered a close contact of Bayern team-mate Niklas Sule, who returned a positive PCR test result while on international duty with Germany last month.

    After going through a period of isolation, Kimmich was forced to quarantine again when he was classed as a contact of another suspected COVID-19 case. He then tested positive for the virus himself later in November.

    Kimmich has stated he is unwilling to receive a coronavirus vaccine until more is known about possible long-term effects. 

    Although Kimmich is no longer suffering from COVID-19, Bayern have confirmed he will not return to action until January.

    Kimmich explained this was due to "slight infiltrations" in his lungs, which mean he has been unable to train fully.

    "I'm happy my self-isolation caused by the coronavirus has ended," Kimmich said in a statement released on Bayern's official website.

    "I'm doing very well, but I'm not yet able to train fully due to slight infiltrations in my lungs. I'll therefore do some rehabilitative training and can't wait to be fully back in action in January."

    Bayern, who are having to play their home games behind closed doors due to coronavirus restrictions imposed in Bavaria, face Mainz, Stuttgart and Wolfsburg before the Bundesliga takes its winter break.

    Julian Nagelsmann's side beat Barcelona 3-0 on Wednesday in the Champions League, a victory that followed up Saturday's contentious 3-2 win over Borussia Dortmund.

    That Klassiker success lifted Bayern four points clear at the top of the Bundesliga.

  • Rennes return to France following Spurs postponement Rennes return to France following Spurs postponement

    Rennes have confirmed their squad is returning to France after their Europa Conference League match with Tottenham was postponed.

    Spurs stated on Wednesday that Thursday's encounter with the Ligue 1 side at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium had been called off due to an outbreak of COVID-19 within Antonio Conte's squad.

    Conte said that eight players and five members of staff had contracted the virus in what he labelled a "serious problem".

    Spurs have reportedly asked the Premier League to postpone Sunday's meeting with Brighton and Hove Albion.

    However, Rennes released a statement on Wednesday claiming Tottenham had made a "unilateral" decision to postpone Thursday's clash without UEFA ratification.

    Confirmation from the governing body has now been given to Rennes, though, with the visiting club's squad and coaching staff travelling back to France following full negative coronavirus test results.

    In a statement published on their official website, Rennes, who play Nice on Sunday, made clear that the rearranged fixture must not further congest a hectic schedule or disrupt their mid-season break.

    The statement read: "After being informed of the cancellation of tonight's match by UEFA, Stade Rennais FC decided to return to Brittany. The entire delegation that will board at London City Airport has tested negative.

    "Stade Rennais FC hope that the interests of the club will be respected given the important sporting deadlines that await the Rouge et Noir this December. 

    "Stade Rennais FC is deeply sorry for the Rennes fans who decided to come to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium to cheer on the Rouge et Noir."

    Rennes have two Ligue 1 matches and one Coupe de France game before they take a break over Christmas, resuming their season on January 8.

  • RB Leipzig appoint former Schalke coach Tedesco as Marsch's successor RB Leipzig appoint former Schalke coach Tedesco as Marsch's successor

    Domenico Tedesco has been appointed as RB Leipzig's new head coach, replacing Jesse Marsch.

    Former Schalke boss Tedesco comes in less than a week after Marsch left the club following a third successive Bundesliga defeat.

    Marsch joined Leipzig from sister club Salzburg in the off-season, but the task of replacing Julian Nagelsmann proved too great for the American.

    A defeat to Union Berlin on Saturday has left them 11th in the table, though Leipzig responded under Achim Beierlorzer by beating Manchester City 2-1 in the Champions League on Tuesday.

    That victory ensured Leipzig drop into a two-legged play-off for a place in the Europa League last 16.

    Tedesco has now been handed the reins, signing a contract until June 2023. Leipzig also confirmed assistant coach Beierlorzer has left the club.

    The 36-year-old was last in charge of Spartak Moscow, spending two seasons in Russia after he was dismissed by Schalke in 2019.

    Tedesco, who graduated from the DFB coaching school in the same class as Nagelsmann, finished second in the Bundesliga in his first season with Schalke in 2017-18 but was unable to maintain that form the following season.

    Despite Tedesco's dismissal, Schalke's slide continued and they were relegated from the top flight last term. 

    His first task will be to fix Leipzig's defensive issues. They have already committed six errors leading to shots in the Bundesliga - an increase of one from the entirety of last season - and three of those have ended in goals. None of their mistakes directly resulted in goals conceded under Nagelsmann in 2020-21. 

    Leipzig have let in 18 goals in the top flight but have an expected goals (xG) against of 23.6. Their xG against in the 2020-21 top-flight campaign was 29.6.

    Tedesco's first game in charge will come against Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.