Ronaldo hails Man Utd's never-say-die attitude after stirring come-from-behind win

By Sports Desk October 20, 2021

Cristiano Ronaldo lauded Manchester United's never-say-die attitude after netting a late winner in a come-from-behind 3-2 Champions League win over Atalanta on Wednesday.

United trailed 2-0 at half-time after strikes from Mario Pasalic and Merih Demiral in their Group F clash at Old Trafford before a stirring second-half comeback was capped by Ronaldo's 81st-minute winner.

It was the third time the Red Devils had won a Champions League game from two or more goals down, the equal most of any club in competition history alongside Arsenal.

"Yes! The Theatre Of Dreams is on fire! We are alive!," Ronaldo wrote via his social media channels. "We are Man. United and we never give up! This is Old Trafford!"

Ronaldo's winner, which came after goals from Marcus Rashford and Harry Maguire to pull them level, meant he has scored in three consecutive Champion League games for United – the second time the Portuguese superstar has achieved the feat, previously doing so in November 2007 en route to winning the European trophy.

The 36-year-old has netted six times in eight appearances in all competitions since returning to United from Juventus in August.

Pasalic and Demiral's first-half goals meant United fell 2-0 behind within 29 minutes, which was the earliest they have trailed by that margin at Old Trafford in a Champions League game since October 2012, when they went on to win 3-2 against Braga.

United have not kept a clean sheet in 12 consecutive home games in all competitions, dating back to last season's Europa League quarter-final against Granada. It is their longest run without home clean sheet since February 1964 (13 games).

Related items

  • Kimmich to miss remainder of 2021 due to lung problem Kimmich to miss remainder of 2021 due to lung problem

    Bayern Munich will be without Joshua Kimmich for the remainder of 2021 as the midfielder recovers from coronavirus.

    Kimmich, who has not yet been vaccinated against the virus, has not played for Bayern since November 6.

    The 26-year-old was considered a close contact of Bayern team-mate Niklas Sule, who returned a positive PCR test result while on international duty with Germany last month.

    After going through a period of isolation, Kimmich was forced to quarantine again when he was classed as a contact of another suspected COVID-19 case. He then tested positive for the virus himself later in November.

    Kimmich has stated he is unwilling to receive a coronavirus vaccine until more is known about possible long-term effects. 

    Although Kimmich is no longer suffering from COVID-19, Bayern have confirmed he will not return to action until January.

    Kimmich explained this was due to "slight infiltrations" in his lungs, which mean he has been unable to train fully.

    "I'm happy my self-isolation caused by the coronavirus has ended," Kimmich said in a statement released on Bayern's official website.

    "I'm doing very well, but I'm not yet able to train fully due to slight infiltrations in my lungs. I'll therefore do some rehabilitative training and can't wait to be fully back in action in January."

    Bayern, who are having to play their home games behind closed doors due to coronavirus restrictions imposed in Bavaria, face Mainz, Stuttgart and Wolfsburg before the Bundesliga takes its winter break.

    Julian Nagelsmann's side beat Barcelona 3-0 on Wednesday in the Champions League, a victory that followed up Saturday's contentious 3-2 win over Borussia Dortmund.

    That Klassiker success lifted Bayern four points clear at the top of the Bundesliga.

  • Ashes 2021-22: Lewis defends England selection, Stokes fitness to be assessed Ashes 2021-22: Lewis defends England selection, Stokes fitness to be assessed

    England fast bowling coach Jon Lewis defended the tourists' selection for the first Ashes Test and says Ben Stokes' fitness will be assessed ahead of day three at the Gabba.

    Australia are in command of the series-opener in Brisbane after closing on 343-7 in reply to England's 147 all out, leading by 196 runs.

    Travis Head (112 not out) smashed the third-fastest Ashes century off only 85 balls after David Warner made 94 and Marnus Labuschagne crafted 74 on day two.

    Ollie Robinson was the pick of the England bowlers, taking 3-48, but had to leave the field with a hamstring injury, although the paceman later revealed he had not done serious damage.

    Stokes also sustained a knee injury on a tough day for Joe Root's side in the heat, with spinner Jack Leach's 11 overs going for 95.

    But Lewis says the selectors did not feel they ought to have played an extra seamer.

    "We looked at the pitch on the day before the game and the morning of the game and decided to go with the make-up of the team that we have," he told reporters.

    "That's what we felt was the right decision at the time, and I think if we'd have all bowled to the best of our ability, we would have put Australia under a bit more pressure than we did today.

    "We still took several Australian wickets. We are a bit behind in the game; however, like I said to the lads before, I know the guys will come back fighting in the next few days."

    Lewis was unable to shed any light on the extent of the damage Stokes has done.

    Asked about the all-rounder's injury, he replied: "I don't know, I don't assess players, I'm not part of the medical team. We'll see how he pulls up in the morning."

    Stokes bowled Warner for 17, but the opener was reprieved as England's vice-captain had over-stepped.

    Warner was also dropped by Rory Burns on 48 and should have been run out when he had 60 to his name on a bad day for the tourists in the field.

  • RB Leipzig appoint former Schalke coach Tedesco as Marsch's successor RB Leipzig appoint former Schalke coach Tedesco as Marsch's successor

    Domenico Tedesco has been appointed as RB Leipzig's new head coach, replacing Jesse Marsch.

    Former Schalke boss Tedesco comes in less than a week after Marsch left the club following a third successive Bundesliga defeat.

    Marsch joined Leipzig from sister club Salzburg in the off-season, but the task of replacing Julian Nagelsmann proved too great for the American.

    A defeat to Union Berlin on Saturday has left them 11th in the table, though Leipzig responded under Achim Beierlorzer by beating Manchester City 2-1 in the Champions League on Tuesday.

    That victory ensured Leipzig drop into a two-legged play-off for a place in the Europa League last 16.

    Tedesco has now been handed the reins, signing a contract until June 2023. Leipzig also confirmed assistant coach Beierlorzer has left the club.

    The 36-year-old was last in charge of Spartak Moscow, spending two seasons in Russia after he was dismissed by Schalke in 2019.

    Tedesco, who graduated from the DFB coaching school in the same class as Nagelsmann, finished second in the Bundesliga in his first season with Schalke in 2017-18 but was unable to maintain that form the following season.

    Despite Tedesco's dismissal, Schalke's slide continued and they were relegated from the top flight last term. 

    His first task will be to fix Leipzig's defensive issues. They have already committed six errors leading to shots in the Bundesliga - an increase of one from the entirety of last season - and three of those have ended in goals. None of their mistakes directly resulted in goals conceded under Nagelsmann in 2020-21. 

    Leipzig have let in 18 goals in the top flight but have an expected goals (xG) against of 23.6. Their xG against in the 2020-21 top-flight campaign was 29.6.

    Tedesco's first game in charge will come against Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.