UEFA drops probe into alleged discrimination in Sparta Prague vs Rangers match

By Sports Desk October 15, 2021

UEFA will not open a disciplinary case against Sparta Prague after finding insufficient evidence of discriminatory behaviour in their Europa League match with Rangers.

The game, won 1-0 by the Scottish champions, was originally due to be played behind closed doors following the racist abuse of Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni in August but around 10,000 school children and accompanying adults were allowed to attend.

The contest was marred by the booing of Rangers' black players, with Glen Kamara seemingly subjected to particularly vocal taunts.

Last March, UEFA ruled Kamara had been the victim of a racist slur from Ondrej Kudela in Rangers' fixture against Sparta's Czech rivals Slavia Prague.

However, following an investigation by a UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector, European football's governing body said no further action would be taken.

A statement confirmed: "In accordance with Article 31(4) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations, a UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector was appointed to conduct a disciplinary investigation regarding potential discriminatory incidents which allegedly occurred during the 2021-22 UEFA Europa League group stage match between AC Sparta Prague and Rangers FC played on September 30, 2021.
 
"The investigation has now concluded that there was insufficient evidence of racism or discriminatory conduct at the match to warrant the opening of disciplinary proceedings against AC Sparta Prague."

After the game, Sparta issued a statement to insist any allegations of racism were unfounded.

"It is absolutely unbelievable that after a match we have to watch innocent children being attacked and face unfounded accusations of racism," the club said. 

"You are describing the behaviour of children incorrectly, arrogating to yourself the right to judge the expression of emotions of six-year-old children who have no idea what racism is. It's an impertinence."

Related items

  • MLS Cup play-offs: NYC eliminate record-breaking Revs on penalties MLS Cup play-offs: NYC eliminate record-breaking Revs on penalties

    New York City have eliminated record-breaking Supporters' Shield winners New England 5-3 on penalties after a thrilling 2-2 draw in the MLS Cup Conference semi-final victory on Tuesday.

    Bruce Arena's Revs had equalised twice, including Tajon Buchanan's 118th-minute leveller, to send the game to a shootout but City goalkeeper Sean Johnson was the hero, denying Adam Buksa's tame effort.

    Alexander Callens powered in the decisive penalty to clinch City's maiden Conference finals appearance, ending New England's hopes of a first-ever MLS Cup after setting a single-season record for most points with 73 in 2021.

    City will take on Philadelphia Union in the Eastern Conference finals on Sunday, although they will be without top scorer Valentin Castellanos who was sent off after scoring in extra-time.

    The visitors went ahead in the third minute with Santiago Rodriguez capping off a fine team move by sweeping home Tayvon Gray's cross.

    The Revs levelled in the ninth minute as Polish striker Buksa headed in from Carles Gil's free-kick.

    New England's Thomas McNamara headed over the bar in the second half, while Maxi Moralez's cannoned a header into the post for City.

    Castellanos blew a great chance late in regulation time, before putting City ahead in extra time by emphatically powering home Gudmundur Thorarinsson's cross.

    The Argentinean forward was sent off minutes later for a second bookable offence with a late tackle and the Revs capitalised with Buchanan volleying in Ema Boateng's 118th minute ball.

    Buksa almost decided the contest before the shootout, bursting forward but his left-foot shot was pushed over by Johnson.

    In the shootout, Johnson denied Buksa again with a low left-hand save and City converted all five of their spotkicks to secure their progress.

  • Allegri calls for patience: It has not been an 'easy time' for Juventus Allegri calls for patience: It has not been an 'easy time' for Juventus

    Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri admits this season has not been an "easy time" for his side but that Tuesday's 2-0 win over Salernitana was about re-paying the club.

    Allegri conceded the Bianconeri were out of the title race after Saturday's 1-0 home loss to Atalanta, with Juventus sitting well off the pace.

    Juve claimed their seventh league win of the season at Salernitana to move up to seventh spot with 24 points from 15 games.

    “It hasn’t been an easy time, we lost to Atalanta and could’ve scored more goals this evening," Allegri told reporters after the Salernitana win.

    "I said Juventus have given us so much and it is time we have a sense of responsibility and give back to this club. We need to focus, because we’ve failed too many times against the smaller clubs this season.

    "I told the lads, we had a lot of young players on the field today, so in these moments, they can suffer under the pressure. Fortunately, they held out well."

    "We’re trailing in the league at the moment because we dropped points too many times. These players have talent, but let’s not forget that only with experience, by making mistakes and learning from them, understanding when it’s time to attack or defend, that is how they develop.

    "The best thing at these moments is to simplify. We tried the passing moves in training yesterday and today I focused more on the mentality. The words Chiellini said are what I said to the team. We are the ones who now must give back to Juventus, the players, coach, the fans, everyone."

    Allegri, who returned to the Turin job in May after Andrea Pirlo was dismissed following a disappointing 2020-21 campaign, called for patience.

    “Naturally, we’re going to have ups and downs. I am still getting to know the players, they are getting to know me, and we play every three days," Allegri said.

    "We achieved the first target by progressing in the Champions League, now we should have a little more time to work in training.

    “Things change, people come and go, but Juventus remain and will always remain. Life goes in cycles, it has to be accepted as a challenge. I accepted this challenge knowing it was difficult, because it’s impossible to win more than nine years in a row, surely?

    "Now we must have the responsibility of being at Juventus and the ambition to aim as high as possible."

  • Lukaku will have a huge impact, but we will be patient – Tuchel Lukaku will have a huge impact, but we will be patient – Tuchel

    Thomas Tuchel is adamant Romelu Lukaku will make a significant impact for Chelsea upon his return from injury, but insists the Blues must be patient with the striker.

    Club-record signing Lukaku has netted four goals in 12 appearances since returning from Inter for a second spell at Stamford Bridge.

    But, the Belgium international has missed the past month with an ankle injury.

    He returned as a late substitute in the weekend draw with former club Manchester United, and could start against Watford on Wednesday.

    Tuchel has no doubt of the quality that Lukaku will contribute to the Blues' cause when fully back up to speed.

    But the head coach insists that for now, patience with the 28-year-old is a virtue.

    "We showed with him and we showed without him that we're capable of scoring and capable of winning," Tuchel said.

    "I think it's a process of adapting in both ways; the team will adapt to him and he will adapt to the team.

    "The most important thing is that he becomes fit and gains fitness and a physical level that he can start for us. The rest, I'm pretty sure will take care of itself.

    "I'm absolutely convinced and have zero doubts that he will have a huge impact on our team once he's back.

    "He's pushing every single day and pushing everybody to try to be out on the pitch again. He tries to convince us that he's ready to start. 

    "We gave him some minutes [against Man United], which helps him psychologically and this is very important, but he is determined and trains on a very high level. 

    "Once we have the opinion that he's fully fit, I think he's ready to go and contribute what he can, which is a lot.

    "We still believe that he can make the difference for us but at the same time, we will be patient."

    Tuchel is also hopeful it is only a matter of time before Andreas Christensen signs a new deal with the club.

    The defender, whose contract is set to expire at the end of the season, has made 13 appearances for the Blues in all competitions this term.

    "We think we can have good news about Andreas," Tuchel added. 

    "I understood the club wants the same, the player wants the same, the coach wants the same – to stay – and that’s why we need the commitment and can continue.

    "We've been waiting a long time now for confirmation. 

    "He tells us that he loves Chelsea, that he wants to stay and play a big part. He is a big part of a big club. I think he's a perfect fit and I hope that he's not done yet here. 

    "He can still develop and be a big, big player. We want the commitment and hopefully, we get it."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.