It's a real shame – Koulibaly surprised by Mendy's Ballon d'Or snub

By Sports Desk October 12, 2021

Kalidou Koulibaly says "it is a real shame" Senegal team-mate Edouard Mendy is not in the running to win this year's Ballon d'Or after an impressive first year at Chelsea.

Mendy joined Chelsea from Rennes last September and did not take long to oust Kepa Arrizabalaga as first choice between the sticks at Stamford Bridge.

He played a key part in the Blues' 2020-21 Champions League triumph, the 29-year-old's nine clean sheets the most by a goalkeeper in their debut campaign in the competition.

That includes a clean sheet in the 1-0 win over Manchester City in the final as Mendy became the first African goalkeeper to lift the famous trophy.

Mendy's 19 shutouts in all competitions this calendar year, meanwhile, has been bettered only by Manchester City's Ederson (20) among keepers in Europe's top five leagues.

He was not included on the 30-player Ballon d'Or shortlist last week, however, and Koulibaly has suggested that could be down to his nationality.

"It's a real shame that Edou isn't included. He is the first African goalkeeper to win the Champions League," Koulibaly told reporters while away on international duty with Senegal.

"We must continue to work and move forward. We have to do the double [the work] of some people to be well judged.

"Edou is a very positive person. We talked about it together. He will continue to fight to be part of it. For me, he has a place among these 30 players."

Gianluigi Donnarumma is the only goalkeeper in contention to win football's most prestigious individual accolade after helping Italy to Euro 2020 success.

The Paris Saint-Germain star's save percentage of 70.8 in 2021 is considerably lower than Mendy's 77.23 at club level when taking all competitions into account.

Indeed, only Keylor Navas – who Donnarumma is battling with for a starting spot at PSG – boasts a better save percentage (78.38) than Mendy among those to have played at least 15 times since January 1.

Napoli defender Koulibaly is also not part of the shortlist for the award, with Mohamed Salah and Riyad Mahrez the only African players selected.

Five of Mendy's Chelsea club-mates were included in the shortlist, however, with Mason Mount, Romelu Lukaku, Cesar Azpilicueta, N'Golo Kante and Jorginho nominated. 

Related items

  • Boris Johnson condemns Liverpool fans booing national anthem after Klopp defends Reds supporters Boris Johnson condemns Liverpool fans booing national anthem after Klopp defends Reds supporters

    UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has stated the national anthem should never be booed after Jurgen Klopp defended Liverpool fans voicing their disapproval ahead of the FA Cup final.

    Boos could be heard ringing around the Liverpool end at Wembley Stadium on Saturday when 'Abide With Me' and national anthem 'God Save the Queen' were performed before kick-off.

    More disapproval followed when Prince William, a member of the royal family and chair of the Football Association (FA), shook hands with the Liverpool and Chelsea players.

    Liverpool went on to win their eighth FA Cup by defeating Chelsea on penalties, and Klopp described the "majority" of his supporters as "wonderful people" even if he did not want to hear the boos.

    "Of course I have thoughts but I think in these situations it's best to ask the question: 'Why does it happen?' Klopp said on Monday ahead of a Premier League clash with Southampton.

    "They wouldn't do if there was no reason. I've not been here long enough to understand the reason for it – it's for sure something historical – and that's probably questions you can answer much better than I could ever.

    "The majority of our supporters are wonderful people. Really smart, go through lows and highs. They wouldn't do it without reason."

    The behaviour of the Liverpool supporters has been met with widespread condemnation and Johnson's official spokesperson criticised the vociferous Reds supporters.

    Asked if the Prime Minister believes there is ever a justifiable reason to jeer the anthem, he said: "No. Obviously the events over the weekend, it was a great shame that as we were marking 150 years of the FA Cup that brings people together that a small minority chose to act in that way."

    Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker of the House of Commons, added: "I utterly condemn any fans who booed Prince William at Wembley today.

    "The FA Cup final should be an occasion when we come together as a country. It should not be ruined by a minority of fans' totally shameful behaviour.

    "In this year of all years – the Queen's Platinum Jubilee – this is dreadful."

  • Leipzig striker Nkunku wins Bundesliga's Player of the Season award amid Premier League interest Leipzig striker Nkunku wins Bundesliga's Player of the Season award amid Premier League interest

    RB Leipzig star Christopher Nkunku has been named Bundesliga's Player of the Season for the 2021-22 campaign as speculation over a Premier League move persists.

    Nkunku won the German top flight's Player of the Month award a single-season record four times - in October, February, March and April - and has been subsequently rewarded with the end-of-season accolade.

    Robert Lewandowski, Manchester City-bound Erling Haaland and Bayer Leverkusen's Patrik Schick were all in contention, but only the Bayern Munich talisman (38) can boast more direct goal involvements this term than Nkunku, who has scored 20 goals and recorded 13 assists in 34 league games.

    Meanwhile, across Europe's top five leagues in all competitions only Karim Benzema (59), Kylian Mbappe (57) and Lewandowski 56) have been involved in more goals than the Leipzig striker (50).

    That goalscoring form and creative prowess guided Leipzig to the Europa League semi-finals, where they were defeated by Rangers, and helped them finish fourth in the Bundesliga.

    Nkunku's development has not gone unnoticed by France coach Didier Deschamps, as the 24-year-old made his Les Bleus debut in a friendly against Ivory Coast in March.

    He will hope to make Deschamps' squad as France aim to defend their World Cup title at Qatar 2022 in November and December.

    There remains uncertainty over who Nkunku will be playing for next season, with Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal all reportedly interested but Leipzig eager to keep him.

    United could be the most likely destination for Nkunku, given Ralf Rangnick's association with the Bundesliga club.

    Nkunku goes in search of DFB-Pokal success when Leipzig face Freiburg in the final in Berlin on Saturday.

  • Packers make Jaire Alexander highest-paid corner in NFL Packers make Jaire Alexander highest-paid corner in NFL

    The Green Bay Packers have agreed a four-year contract extension with Jaire Alexander to make him the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL.

    According to multiple reports, Green Bay and Alexander have come to terms on a deal worth $84million.

    The Packers have made that commitment to the 2018 first-round pick despite him playing just four games last season.

    Alexander suffered a sprained shoulder in the Week 4 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers and underwent surgery.

    He did not play again in the regular season. Alexander was activated for the Divisional Round game with the San Francisco 49ers but played only eight defensive snaps as the Packers lost 13-10 at home.

    Despite his injury-hindered 2021, Alexander is still tied for 14th among all corners for pass breakups since 2018, registering 44 in that time.

    In his last full season in 2020, Alexander was arguably the top corner in the NFL.

    He allowed a burn, which is when a receiver wins his matchup with a defender on a play where he is targeted, on just 30.6 per cent of targets, the second-best ratio among corners with at least 50 targets.

    Alexander was first in burn yards per target (5.22), burn yards per snap (0.84) and second in big-play rate allowed (13 per cent).

    And he will now be paid at a rate that reflects his importance to the Packers, Alexander's deal set to pay him $31m in year one, $45m through year two and $61m through year three.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.