FA commissions independent review into 'disgraceful scenes' at Euro 2020 final

By Sports Desk July 19, 2021

The Football Association has commissioned an independent review into the "disgraceful scenes" that marred England's Euro 2020 final defeat to Italy at Wembley.

England suffered a 3-2 penalty shoot-out loss on home soil to Italy on July 11 following a 1-1 draw after extra time in their first major tournament final in 55 years.

The showpiece match was overshadowed by a security breach that saw a number of ticketless supporters enter the stadium and clash with fellow fans and stewards.

UEFA last week launched its own investigation and hit the FA with four charges relating to fan disorder, including the throwing of objects and the lighting of fireworks.

The unsavoury scenes prompted Julian Knight MP, the chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee (DCMS), to write to FA CEO Mark Bullingham demanding answers.

And in a statement released on Monday, the FA has vowed to identify those responsible for the trouble before, during and after the game.

"We are determined to fully understand what happened outside and then inside Wembley Stadium at the Euro 2020 final on July 11," the statement read.

"We informed DCMS at the weekend that an independent review led by Baroness Casey of Blackstock has been commissioned to report on the facts and circumstances involved. 

"It will speak to all parties concerned and include external experts.

"A key emphasis of the findings will be to ensure that lessons are learned and such disgraceful scenes are never able to be repeated. 

"We continue to work with the relevant authorities in support of their efforts to identify those responsible and hold them to account."

The FA was also previously fined €30,000 (£25,630) by UEFA for the behaviour of supporters during the semi-final win against Denmark, which included a laser being shone at Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.

Related items

  • Nagelsmann disappointed by Neuer interview on Tapalovic exit Nagelsmann disappointed by Neuer interview on Tapalovic exit

    Julian Nagelsmann expressed disappointment at Manuel Neuer's interview criticising Bayern Munich's decision to fire goalkeeping coach Toni Tapalovic.

    Tapalovic had worked with Neuer and the Bundesliga giants for the past decade but left the club last month amid media claims of a difficult relationship with Nagelsmann.

    In an interview with The Athletic this week, Neuer said he felt like his heart was "ripped out" and described it as "the most brutal thing" in his career.

    The Bayern captain is out injured for the rest of the season following a skiing accident after the World Cup that prompted the club to sign Yann Sommer.

    Ahead of Sunday's clash against Wolfsburg, where Bayern brought an end to a three-match winless streak in the Bundesliga, Nagelsmann explained Neuer's interview did not help the club's situation.

    "I wouldn't have given the interview. We have important weeks ahead. It doesn't help calm things down. It keeps the newspapers busy," he told DAZN.

    "Oliver Kahn made a very, very good statement. Some time ago I had a good conversation with Manuel in private, where we discussed many things.

    "I told him the reasons why the separation happened, I didn't want to make it public, which was the right decision in my opinion.

    "My doors are always open, even though I would have chosen a different path [than the interview].

    "He's the best goalkeeper in the world, as I emphasised so often, and I hope he comes back healthy."

    Bayern's win against Wolfsburg saw the defending champions return to the top of the table, leapfrogging Union Berlin.

  • Inter fans detail Skriniar discussion as soon-to-depart defender is forgiven Inter fans detail Skriniar discussion as soon-to-depart defender is forgiven

    Milan Skriniar has explained to Inter fans why he must leave the club at the end of the season and will retain their respect as a result.

    Skriniar is expected to join Paris Saint-Germain when his Inter contract expires, having been a key man for the Nerazzurri since his move from Sampdoria in 2017.

    PSG were said to have failed in a January bid to sign Skriniar six months early, meaning he remains in Milan despite that imminent departure – albeit without the captaincy.

    However, ahead of Sunday's Milan derby, Skriniar spoke with Inter's Curva Nord supporters to defend his actions.

    Skriniar was pushed to leave Inter last year, he told fans, and the two parties could not come to an agreement when the Nerazzurri tried instead to keep him.

    The whole "has been badly managed", supporters said in a message on derby day that had been promised earlier in the week.

    "Although the Skriniar chapter is now partially past history, we would like to make it known that Milan wanted to clarify with us the reasons that led him to change jersey at the end of the season, despite the affection he has always had for Inter," the Curva Nord said.

    "Skriniar explained to us that last summer the club informed him he would be put on the market, and in spite of himself he had to take action to find a new club.

    "After receiving interest from PSG and certain that Inter would sell him anyway, he received an offer that, when Inter changed their minds, they were unable to match.

    "Milan tried to meet Inter by lowering his demands for the renewal but could not ignore the offer of PSG, even being ready to give up on several million euros.

    "Although once again, in summary, the reasons of the wallet surpassed those of the heart, we do not feel like putting on a cross a player who has contributed to giving us so much satisfaction.

    "We invite everyone to treat him at least with respect for the professionalism shown in his stay in Milan.

    "Taking note that the whole Skriniar situation has been badly managed, to say the least, and hoping that it will at least be a lesson for the future of the club, we have decided to look ahead with Inter always in the heart and without rancour towards a player who rightly will no longer have to wear any captain's armband but who still has our respect for everything he has always given on the field."

  • Six Nations: Edwards warns France face Ireland 'hiding' if they don't raise their game Six Nations: Edwards warns France face Ireland 'hiding' if they don't raise their game

    Shaun Edwards warned France will be in for a "hiding" against Ireland in the Six Nations next weekend if they fail to raise their game after clinging on to beat Italy 29-24.

    The defending champions needed a Matthieu Jalibert try with 14 minutes to play at Stadio Olimpico on Sunday to start the defence of their title with a bonus-point win.

    First-half tries from Thibaud Flament, Thomas Ramos and debutant Ethan Dumortier put the holders well on course for victory, but an Ange Capuozzo score and three Tommaso Allan penalties meant they only led 19-14 at the break.

    A penalty try that also resulted in Charles Ollivon being sent to the sin-bin and another three points for Allan sensationally put the resurgent Azzurri in front with just under 20 minutes to play.

    France were able to extend their winning run to 14 matches courtesy of Jalibert's finish, but they had to withstand late pressure and Allan missed a kick at goal as Italy fell just short of claiming a famous victory.

    Les Bleus face Ireland, the world's top-ranked side, at the Aviva Stadium next Saturday and defence coach Edwards says their winning streak will come to a juddering halt if they fail to improve on their display in Rome.

    He told ITV Sport: "First half, we were quite dominant. They came on leaps and bounds in the second half and obviously at the end it was a very tight affair, but we are in a good habit of winning tight games at the moment.

    "It happened against Australia, against South Africa, it's happened in a few games.

    "Hopefully we can continue that habit, but I think we all know if we don't put up a better performance next week we'll be on the end of a 15-30 point hiding."

    Indisciplined France conceded 18 penalties, although Edwards suggested the count should not have been so high.

    "Certainly against the defence it's something I will be looking at this week and I'll be honest, I've been in the game for 20 years and that's the most penalties I've ever had against the defence.

    "It's something we pride ourselves on with the French team in particular and all the way through with Wales, Wasps, etc. We'll have to go through it in detail with the referees, because it's the first time my defence has been penalised so much."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.