EPL

Moyes 'delighted' as resurgent ex-Man Utd boss signs new West Ham deal

By Sports Desk June 12, 2021

David Moyes signed a new three-year deal to stay on as West Ham manager on Saturday and declared: "This is where I want to be."

Linked with a return to his former club Everton recently, Moyes has committed his future to the Hammers, who finished sixth under his leadership in last season's Premier League.

That secured a Europa League place and West Ham's 65-point haul was their best in a Premier League campaign.

Moyes, 58, has also previously led Manchester United, Real Sociedad, Sunderland and Preston North End, and this is his second spell at West Ham.

"I am delighted to have committed my future to West Ham United," Moyes said.

"This is where I want to be and I'm happy. I'm excited to be given this opportunity to build on what we all have already achieved here. The owners and I are fully aligned with how we want to keep developing and improving the football club.

"The board and everyone at the club have been fantastic to work with, giving me great support and I feel that we are all united in what we want to achieve in the coming years and how we might be able to achieve those things."

Moyes pointed to "tremendous progress" during his second stint at the London Stadium, having taken charge in late December 2019 when there was plenty of scepticism about his appointment, many feeling his best days as a manager were behind him.

The Scot has shown his doubters to have underestimated his ability to turn around the team's fortunes.

"The players really have been superb but the challenge is for our standards to continue developing. We must keep pushing boundaries for consistent improvement as we all aim to continue the growing of the club," Moyes said.

West Ham joint-chairmen David Sullivan and David Gold issued a joint statement on the club's official website supporting Moyes' commitment, describing it as "fantastic news" that would ensure "great stability going forward".

Sullivan and Gold said: "The experience of the past 12 months has created a fantastic unity throughout the club and we are very excited about what the future holds for our supporters."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool make approach for Juventus' Dybala, Barcelona in Meunier loan bid Rumour Has It: Liverpool make approach for Juventus' Dybala, Barcelona in Meunier loan bid

    Paulo Dybala is out of contract at Juventus at the end of this season.

    The two parties are expected to resume talks next month.

    In the meantime, some top clubs are monitoring Dybala's availability.

    TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL IN FOR DYBALA MOVE

    Liverpool have reached to Juventus with a move for Argentina international Dybala, claims Tuttomercatoweb.

    The Reds are looking to capitalise on Dybala's contract situation although Manchester City and Inter are also interested in the 28-year-old.

    Dybala has been with the Bianconeri since 2015 but is yet to agree terms on a new contract.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Marca reports that Barcelona have contacted Borussia Dortmund about signing Thomas Meunier on loan until the end of the season with BVB open to the idea.

    - Wolves will not accept bids below £40 million for Ruben Neves amid interest from Manchester United and Arsenal, claims The Sun.

    - Porto have turned down Tottenham's offer of £37m with add-ons for Colombian winger Luis Diaz reports the Evening Standard.

    - Jose Mourinho's Roma remain hopeful of landing Arsenal's Granit Xhaka before the transfer window closes according to the Mail.

    - Goal reports that Arsenal have agreed a deal to sign US international goalkeeper Matt Turner in the off-season from New England Revolution.

    - Aston Villa's Ashley Young has declined an approach from Newcastle United claims The Mirror.

  • Brazil boss Tite critical of referee appointment after chaotic draw with Ecuador Brazil boss Tite critical of referee appointment after chaotic draw with Ecuador

    Brazil head coach Tite has criticized the decision to appoint a Colombian referee for Thursday's chaotic 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw with Ecuador.

    Colombian referee Wilmar Roldan handed out four red cards throughout the game, including two to Brazilian goalkeeper Alisson which were both rescinded by the VAR, along with two overturned penalty awards for Ecuador.

    Trailing 1-0 to Casemiro's first-half strike, Ecuador had a 55th-minute penalty awarded by Roldan overturned when it was determined Pervis Estupinan had dived in the box as opposed to being fouled by Raphinha.

    In stoppage-time, the hosts again thought they had a penalty which could have led to the winner after a foul from Alisson but the award was overturned by the VAR, offering the Liverpool goalkeeper and Brazil a late reprieve.

    Tite was critical of Roldan's "impulsiveness" but also the decision to appoint a referee from Colombia, who came into this matchday fourth in CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying behind Ecuador.

    “Today there was no point in appointing a referee from the fourth country in the table, when the third and first were playing," Tite said at the post-game news conference.

    "Roldan is a good referee, but it gives for interpretations. The designation took a bit of sensitivity."

    Tite added: "It was a difficult game. The number of fouls was exaggerated, 20 fouls by Ecuador and 12 by us.

    "The circumstances happened, it wasn't evil, it was impulsive. Incorrect, yes. And it needs to be corrected, yes. It needs to be mature, yes. But it wasn't evil."

  • Arsenal in 'pretty strong' position to sign USA goalkeeper Turner, says Arena Arsenal in 'pretty strong' position to sign USA goalkeeper Turner, says Arena

    Arsenal have a "pretty strong" chance of completing a deal for United States goalkeeper Matt Turner, according to New England Revolution coach and sporting director Bruce Arena.

    Turner was voted MLS Goalkeeper of the Year in 2021 after helping the Revs to Supporters' Shield success, though his side fell short in the playoffs with defeat to New York City in the Eastern Conference semi-finals.

    The 27-year-old joined the Revs as a free agent in 2016 after going undrafted and has been a regular for the past four seasons, racking up 97 MLS appearances over that time, including 28 last year when recording five clean sheets.

    Arsenal have recently been linked with the USA international, who has been capped 13 times by his country, and Revs chief Arena has confirmed talks are ongoing between the two teams.

    However, a transfer is not expected to go through this month, with Arsenal instead expected to wait until the end of the Premier League campaign before bringing in Turner – potentially to replace Bernd Leno, the back-up to Aaron Ramsdale.

    "As speculated, there's a chance we could lose Matt Turner," Arena told the Sports Hub on 98.5 radio.

    "If things work out the right way, we will lose him in the summer. We are in negotiations with Arsenal to complete the transfer. The likelihood of that happening is pretty strong."

    Arsenal will reportedly pay an initial £4.5million ($6m) for Turner in a deal that could rise to £7.5m ($10m) with add-ons, which is the same amount Manchester City agreed to pay Columbus Crew for international rival Zack Steffen in 2019.

    The delayed move for Turner may now see Leno stay in place for the remainder of the season.

    Should he complete a switch, Turner will become the fifth American to sign for Arsenal after Gedion Zelalem, Danny Karbassiyoon, Frank Simek and Doug Farquhar.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.