EPL

Liverpool vow to put fans 'at heart of decision-making' with new supporters board

By Sports Desk May 20, 2021

Liverpool have announced plans to create a new supporters board to give fan representation at executive levels of the club and put them "at the heart of its decision-making processes".

The plans, which will be formalised before next season, come in the wake of fan-led protests over Liverpool's involvement in the failed European Super League.

Reds owner John Henry signed the club up for the breakaway project last month before they backed out, with the American later issuing an apology where he acknowledged fans had been "let down".

Subsequent talks between Liverpool chief executive Billy Hogan, the Spirit of Shankly (SOS) group and official supporters' trust members has seen the creation of a "new engagement model".

According to a club statement, this promises "deeper consultation with supporters on fan-facing strategic decisions".

The Reds said the consultation process will be enshrined in the club's Articles of Association and a legally binding memorandum of understanding between the club and the Official Liverpool Supporters Trust will be entered into.

"The supporters board will hold regular meetings with the club and the chair will be invited to attend LFC's main board meetings when fan-facing strategic matters arise," the statement posted on the club's website said. 

"The existing fan forums structure will remain in place but will be reshaped into three main working groups to cover ticketing, matchday experience and equality, diversity and inclusion.

"This will ensure operational issues and projects continue to be discussed by club officials and supporters. When appropriate, these matters will also be represented at the supporters board level."

Liverpool made the announcement on the same day they revealed their new kit for the 2021-22 season.

Hogan said: "The focus over the last few weeks of dialogue has been to find a long-term solution that is in the best interests of Liverpool and its supporters – one that we firmly believe is not only meaningful but also wholly in keeping with the values and aspirations of the club.

"While these changes are significant, it is important to stress that the current fan forums have also worked incredibly well since they were introduced four years ago and it is crucial that they continue in addition to the supporters board in order to give us a range of engagement options.

"There is still a lot to discuss with representatives of the Liverpool Supporters Trust in the weeks ahead but having these principles in place is a great step forward and we look forward to formalising the details of the structure."

Joe Blott, chair of SOS, added: "After discussions of the past weeks, we believe this is a unique deal and recommend its acceptance. 

"We see this as a chance to help shape the future of our club and put us at the forefront of changing football in general."

Related items

  • Sebastian Battaglia sacked by Boca Juniors after Libertadores elimination Sebastian Battaglia sacked by Boca Juniors after Libertadores elimination

    Boca Juniors confirmed Sebastian Battaglia's dismissal as the club's head coach after the dramatic elimination at home to Corinthians in the Copa Libertadores.

    Sitting 11th after the opening month of this season's Primera Division and snatching a 0-0 draw in the first leg, Boca were lifeless for large parts of the second leg at home to Corinthians, before their 6-5 loss on penalties on Tuesday.

    Dario Benedetto notably missed two penalties, with one in regular time and another in the shoot-out, to effectively mark the end of Battaglia's tenure.

    The 41-year-old, who coached Boca's reserve team and was installed as a caretaker following Miguel Angel Russo's dismissal last August, leaves after winning the Copa Argentina and Copa de la Liga Profesional.

    Also spending 13 years with the club as a player, the club insisted he will still be welcome at La Bombonera.

    "Club Atletico Boca Juniors announces that Sebastian Battaglia is no longer the coach of the first football team and thanks him for his contribution throughout this cycle," the club said in a statement.

    "Battaglia, after passing through the Reserve, took over as coach of the first team and won two titles, for which the entire club will be eternally grateful for his work.

    "Sebastian, Boca will always be your home. Many successes in your career."

     

  • Women's Euros: England's Bronze backs Putellas to bounce back with Barca and Spain Women's Euros: England's Bronze backs Putellas to bounce back with Barca and Spain

    Lucy Bronze described Spain's setback of losing Ballon d'Or winner Alexia Putellas as "devastating" and a blow to the women's game as a whole.

    England star Bronze, who will become a team-mate of Putellas next season after recently signing for Barcelona, backed the 28-year-old to rebound from her crushing Euro 2022 disappointment.

    Putellas, who has scored 27 goals in 100 international appearances, suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury in training on Tuesday and will play no part in the tournament that began on Wednesday.

    "For anyone who suffers an ACL, it's devastating," Bronze said. "My old team-mate [Lyon's Germany international Dzsenifer] Marozsan did her ACL just before the tournament, and I was devastated for her, and now Alexia as well.

    "Obviously she's one of the best players in the world – the best player in the world right now – and one of my team-mates.

    "For women's football, we want the best players on the pitch. I'm sure she'll get straight back to Barcelona, and they'll want to get her back on the pitch and fighting fit.

    "I'm sure she'll be back playing for Barca as soon as possible, and the World Cup is still to come next year, so she's still got plenty of time and plenty of stages to shine."

    Putellas' absence is a colossal blow for Spain, with the 28-year-old having top-scored in the Champions League with 11 goals last season.

    Bronze, who has battled knee problems during her own career, is hoping for a clean bill of health in the England camp throughout the finals.

    The hosts began with a 1-0 win over Austria at Old Trafford, in front of almost 70,000 supporters.

    Bronze said the occasion was "huge", but it was a scrappy showing from England, with Beth Mead's first-half goal proving just enough.

    "We know we can improve on that performance," Bronze said. "Especially under [coach] Sarina [Wiegman] we score a lot of goals and play exciting football and I don't think we did that at our best. We didn't quite click and didn't quite get in the flow.

    "Ultimately, the best teams have to win even when they're not playing at their best, so we managed to show that which is a different side to this England team."

  • Sebastien Haller anticipates 'epic' atmospheres with Borussia Dortmund Sebastien Haller anticipates 'epic' atmospheres with Borussia Dortmund

    Sebastien Haller revealed he is looking forward to "epic" atmospheres and games at Borussia Dortmund, after confirmation of his transfer from Ajax.

    Haller joins Dortmund on a four-year deal in his return to the Bundesliga, following a two-year spell with Eintracht Frankfurt 2017 and 2019.

    The 28-year-old has provided four goals and two assists in his six career games against Dortmund, with three of those goals coming in his three games at the Signal Iduna Park, notably in last season's Champions League group stage with Ajax.

    Along with identifying Dortmund's need to compete with Bayern Munich this upcoming season, Haller revealed it is a stadium that brings out the best in him, speaking upon the club's release of the transfer.

    "The goals are, of course, to fight with Bayern and be first," he said. "Why not? It's an epic stadium, so most of the time it's epic games. I have a good feeling because the pitch is really good, and the atmosphere was always really good.

    "Even if I didn't win [with Eintracht Frankfurt], I always have a great memory of this stadium because you are in really good conditions to play football, these games are a reminder that you play a beautiful sport."

    Coming off a 34-goal season with Ajax in all competitions, Haller's arrival comes amid a busy off-season for Dortmund, along with the signings of Niklas Sule, Karim Adeyemi, Nico Schlotterbeck and Salih Ozcan.

    The Ivory Coast international believes Dortmund represent a "great" opportunity for him in return, but is simply eager to start preparations for the upcoming season.

    "I feel great, really happy, proud and also really looking forward to come and play. Training, games, being in the dressing room, everything," Haller said. "This is my life for a few years now and I'm really looking forward to this.

    "It was a great opportunity for me with the club, the people at the club and also I know a few of the players. I had a good connection, I just want to have a good time and be successful.

    "I can't wait to feel the support of 80,000 fans in the stadium as part of the BVB family. Hopefully over the coming years we'll achieve big things together, and then celebrate them together."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.