EPL

Man Utd chief Woodward insists club won't seek Super League revival in heated fans forum

By Sports Desk April 30, 2021

Manchester United's outgoing executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has assured supporters the club will not seek a revival of the collapsed European Super League during a heated fans forum on Friday.

Earlier this month United were one of 12 founding clubs who announced the formation of a closed-shop competition that would have guaranteed them participation every year.

But less than 48 hours after the initial plans were confirmed, proposals collapsed as the six English clubs wilted under the pressure of supporters, ex-players and media, who widely decried the attempted breakaway from the Champions League.

United co-owner Joel Glazer apologised to supporters for their involvement in an open letter, though fan representatives rejected that apology in the first forum since the controversy.

In a letter of their own, the Manchester United Supporters' Trust (MUST) reiterated they have "zero trust" in Glazer and his brother Avram, and listed five demands that generally related to increasing what say the fans have in the running of the club.

While Woodward is not thought to have explicitly responded to each point in the letter, which is reported to have been read out to him, he did address some concerns and insisted United would not be looking revive the Super League, despite its chairman Florentino Perez's previous insistence the plans were not completely dead.

Woodward, whose end-of-year exit was announced amid the Super League backlash but apparently not in connection to it, said: "I know that you will feel angry and let down by the lack of consultation and by the way the proposal failed to recognise the vital principle of open competition.

"Proper discussion would have helped us avoid the mistake we made.

"While there would have been a substantial increase in solidarity payments from the leading clubs to the rest of the pyramid across Europe, we fully accept that there were fundamental elements which were badly misjudged.

“As Joel said last week, we failed to give enough weight to the essential principles and traditions of sporting merit which are so vital to football not just in domestic competition but in European competition since the mid-1950s.

“We want to restate our commitment to those traditions. I can assure you that we have learned our lesson from the events of the past week, and we do not seek any revival of the Super League plans.

"Manchester United is fortunate to be in a relatively stronger position than many clubs because of the resilience of our self-sustaining model.

"We have a disciplined, long-term approach which has allowed us to navigate the pandemic, while continuing to invest in the team, which we will continue to do this summer.

"We will now continue working with the rest of the football community to address the long-term challenges facing the game.

"But I can assure you that we will be doing that with great sensitivity to the opinions that you and other fans have expressed in recent days."

Related items

  • Ancelotti realistic about Real Madrid's Champions League chances Ancelotti realistic about Real Madrid's Champions League chances

    Carlo Ancelotti is not getting carried away over Real Madrid's Champions League prospects despite Tuesday's 2-0 win at home to Inter sealing top spot in Group D.

    Madrid just needed to avoid a defeat to go through to the knockout phase as group winners, but they ultimately battled to a commendable victory over the Italian champions.

    Toni Kroos netted a glorious first-half opener, before a similarly satisfying Marco Asensio curler wrapped up the win 11 minutes from time.

    As such, Madrid will – theoretically – get a kinder draw than runners-up Inter in the last 16, potentially setting them up nicely to reach the quarter-finals.

    Los Blancos went as far as the last four in 2020-21 following back-to-back round-of-16 eliminations, though Ancelotti is not making any sweeping statements regarding their chances of going deeper into the competition this time around.

    He told reporters: "We have the quality to win LaLiga and the quality to compete in the Champions League.

    "There are no teams with the quality [guaranteed] to win the Champions League, just to compete.

    "There are more intense teams, others with more quality. We are not an intense team in the defensive aspect, but we have a lot of quality, a lot of experience and a lot of commitment."

    Luka Modric made his 100th Champions League appearance on Tuesday, becoming only the ninth player to reach that landmark while at Madrid. Eight of those games came during his time at Tottenham.

    Modric turned in a typically controlling display and completed the full 90 minutes, which was somewhat surprising given the important nature of Sunday's clash with Atletico Madrid.

    There had been calls prior to the weekend win over Real Sociedad for Ancelotti to rotate his midfield more, yet Modric is heading into the derby having played 90 minutes both against La Real and Inter.

    The Croatian is not concerned, however.

    "I feel very good," the 36-year-old told Movistar. "I think you don't have to look at the years, you have to look at what you do on the field. The years are less and less noticeable because players' careers are prolonged.

    "I feel very good, and I feel like I am younger than 30!"

  • Klopp 'couldn't be more proud' of Liverpool after Milan win Klopp 'couldn't be more proud' of Liverpool after Milan win

    Jurgen Klopp insisted he "couldn't be more proud" of his Liverpool squad after they secured a perfect Champions League group-stage record with victory at Milan.

    Despite their progression to the knockout stages as group winners already secured, the Reds put in a dominant performance to claim a 2-1 success in San Siro.

    And the manner of the performance from a team showing eight changes left Klopp delighted at full-time.

    He told BT Sport: "[It's] really difficult in the hectic schedule. We have to be always on fire for the next game and, what the boys did tonight, I couldn't be more proud. 

    "It was an incredible game, I'm so happy about so many things I saw tonight and, of course, in the end that we won the game is great as well. 

    "But the performance was absolutely outstanding; playing this game tonight, having 21 shots, not 21 on target but 21 times we finished a situation off. 

    "[There were] so many situations where we played outstandingly well and defended with passion and good organisation. So many good things I saw tonight, really happy."

    Klopp went on to pay tribute to the three players who retained their starting places from the weekend win over Wolves: Alisson, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane.

    The German was most pleased with the desire that trio showed while being involved in a game that, in truth, had little riding on it for the visitors. 

    He added: "I have to say, we changed it eight times but Ali is a goalie and that he could play and wanted to play so desperately speaks for him. 

    "The same for Sadio and Mo, the game they played tonight was absolutely outstanding. 

    "The quality they have and the physicality they bring in a game like this, how much they help defensively, is absolutely outstanding. 

    "Mo obviously scores the first, Sadio sets up the second, that speaks really for the boys. 

    "So, because it's a mix of fresh legs and quality as well, it was a really good mix tonight."

    The Liverpool boss also hailed teenage midfielder Tyler Morton, who put in another impressive performance on just his second Champions League start.

    Klopp continued: "I don't want to make his night more complicated than it is already with playing at such a young age for a club like Liverpool, playing a game like this with a performance like this. 

    "I think we should all calm down, but it was really good tonight! 

    "It was a big pleasure to watch the boy playing and the football knowledge, football brain he showed tonight was absolutely exceptional. 

    "If you are technically on that level – and he is, obviously – and you have then such good orientation, sometimes you have enough time to do good stuff and that is what he did tonight. 

    "On top of that, he defended incredibly well together with the other boys."

  • Atletico always find new ways to excite me after 10 years – Simeone savours do-or-die victory Atletico always find new ways to excite me after 10 years – Simeone savours do-or-die victory

    Diego Simeone said Atletico Madrid always find new ways to excite him as the Colchoneros boss savoured the team's dramatic progress to the Champions League last 16.

    Atletico prevailed in Tuesday's do-or-die battle away to Porto on matchday six, defeating the Portuguese hosts 3-1 to book their spot in the knockout phase.

    Simeone's Atletico required a victory and hoped Milan failed to beat Liverpool elsewhere in Group B, and the stars aligned for the stuttering LaLiga champions.

    Antoine Griezmann, Angel Correa and Rodrigo de Paul scored to earn Atletico victory in a match that saw three players sent off – Yannick Carrasco received his marching orders, while Porto duo Wendell and Marchesin were also dismissed amid chaotic scenes as three goals were scored after the 90th minute.

    Simeone, who has guided Atletico to two LaLiga titles and a pair of Champions League runners-up appearances during his decade-long tenure in the Spanish capital, could not contain his emotions.

    "I've been at this club for 10 years and the team always ends up exciting me in new ways," Atletico head coach Simeone said.

    "The difficulties, the fact that we didn't have three of our four centre-backs, but there are players with few minutes who are still so important to us. Today it was [Sime] Vrsaljko’s turn, we knew he could do his job. [Geoffrey] Kondogbia is the same.

    "The whole team got involved in the game, gave everything, put their hearts into it. We have a goalkeeper who delivered in moments of difficulty. In the second half, if they had scored from that chance, they win.

    "Today was a beautiful day, a great day. The boys from the youth team made it through and I wanted to as well. They gave us the ambition of wanting to make it through. We are going to remember this as one of the classic Champions League matches of our lifetime, against a great team in a tough game. We're similar.

    "The game had everything – sendings off, chances. Football, how beautiful."

    Porto against Atletico was the first ever Champions League game to see as many as three goals scored in the 90th minute (including stoppage time), while the fixture was the first in the premier club competition to have as many as three red cards since 2013.

    Atletico goalkeeper Jan Oblak said: "It's been an incredible night. I'm very happy with the victory, for the team and the fans. I'm sure many people didn't believe in us but it's in matches like these where we show what a team we really are and that we are such a strong group.

    "You have to keep your head up when you lose and, when things don't go your way, you have to keep playing as if your life depends on it. We can't be at our best throughout the season but you have to keep on going.

    "There's no limit to what we can do and when we have to dig our heels in we do it. I wish we didn't have to suffer so much but this is football: it's not always easy."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.