UEFA investigating Ibrahimovic over alleged 'financial interest in betting company'

By Sports Desk April 26, 2021

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is being investigated by UEFA for "an alleged financial interest in a betting company", European football's governing body has confirmed.

Earlier this month, Swedish publication Aftonbladet claimed Ibrahimovic was potentially in breach of FIFA regulations due to apparent involvement in the Maltese gambling company Bethard.

It was claimed that a business Ibrahimovic owns holds 10 per cent of Bethard's shares, making it their fourth-largest shareholder.

Ibrahimovic's association with Bethard was nothing new, as the former Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain star became their global ambassador in 2018.

But the Aftonbladet report was the first time allegations of a more substantial involvement were brought to light and now UEFA is taking the claims seriously.

A statement issued by UEFA read: "In accordance with Article 31(4) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations (DR), a UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector has today been appointed to conduct a disciplinary investigation regarding a potential violation of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations by Mr. Zlatan Ibrahimovic for having an alleged financial interest in a betting company.

"Further information regarding this matter will be made available in due course."

FIFA's ethics code prohibits the involvement in betting enterprises for players, officials, referees and intermediaries.

It says: "They are forbidden from participating in, either directly or indirectly, betting, gambling, lotteries or similar events or transactions related to football matches or competitions and/or any related football activities.

"They shall not have any interests, either directly or indirectly (through or in conjunction with third parties), in entities, companies, organisations, etc. that promote, broker, arrange or conduct betting, gambling, lotteries or similar events or transactions connected with football matches and competitions;

"'Interests' include gaining any possible advantage for the persons bound by the Code themselves and/or related parties."

If found guilty, Ibrahimovic, 39, faces a ban from all football-related activity for up to three years.

Related items

  • Salah ready to 'go for everything' with Liverpool as Reds star makes 2025 commitment Salah ready to 'go for everything' with Liverpool as Reds star makes 2025 commitment

    Mohamed Salah landed a bumper new contract through to 2025 and vowed to repay Liverpool's belief in him by firing Jurgen Klopp's Reds to more trophies.

    Uncertainty over the Egyptian forward's future had lingered for months, with no clear sign of a breakthrough in negotiations between the club and the player's representatives until a deal was announced on Friday.

    With Sadio Mane being allowed to leave for Bayern Munich since the end of last season, the importance of securing Salah was ramped up, and now the 30-year-old has confirmed he will stay at Anfield.

    He could have walked away at the end of the 2022-23 season on a free transfer, had he not agreed to new terms, but that worrying prospect has been quashed.

    With at least three years more to come of his Anfield career, Salah is convinced he and Liverpool can enjoy huge success in that time.

    They threatened a quadruple last term before just missing out to Manchester City in the Premier League title race and losing 1-0 to Real Madrid in the Champions League final, having already pouched the FA Cup and EFL Cup.

    Salah said of his new deal: "It takes a little bit of time, I think, to renew, but now everything is done so we just need to focus on what’s next.

    "I think you can see in the last five or six years the team was always going [upwards]. Last season we were close to winning four, but unfortunately in the last week of the season we lost two trophies.

    "I think we are in a good position to fight for everything. We have new signings as well. We just need to keep working hard, have a good vision, be positive and go for everything again."

    In an interview for Liverpool's official website, Salah spoke of the departure of Mane to the Bundesliga and the arrival of Uruguayan frontman Darwin Nunez from Benfica, as manager Jurgen Klopp shuffles his pack.

    "I'm so excited, I want to play with him," Salah said of Nunez. "He had a good season last season and played well against us home and away [in the Champions League].

    "Sadio's leaving, and I'm going to miss him, he had great seasons with the club, so I wish him all the best, and I wish Darwin also all the best to score many goals for us."

    Salah had a stellar 2021-22 campaign, finishing level with Tottenham's Son Heung-min in the race to be the Premier League's top scorer, while also managing the most assists in the competition, racking up 13 to finish one ahead of team-mate Trent Alexander-Arnold.

    It was the third time that Salah has won the Premier League's Golden Boot, having also been top scorer in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 campaigns.

    He won the FWA Footballer of the Year and the PFA Players' Player of the Year awards, and taking all competitions into account finished the campaign with 31 goals and 15 assists in 51 appearances, creating 87 scoring chances.

    Across his five-season Liverpool career to date, Salah has managed 118 Premier League goals, at an average of one every 126 minutes, a league-best for players who have played at least 100 games in that time.

    Salah had been linked with the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid, but Friday's announcement means the former Roma and Chelsea forward's stint with Liverpool is far from over, as he prepares for a sixth season with the Reds.

    In a message to supporters, Salah said Liverpool would "try to win all the trophies" in the new campaign.

  • Ekitike staying at Reims unless Madrid or Barca come calling, claims coach Ekitike staying at Reims unless Madrid or Barca come calling, claims coach

    Hugo Ekitike may end up staying at Reims in this transfer window as he waits on a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

    Newcastle United have long since agreed a deal with Reims for the forward, but the transfer has not progressed further.

    Reports have suggested the demands of Ekitike's agent have put off Newcastle, while the 20-year-old has continued to be linked to other clubs.

    And Oscar Garcia, the Reims coach, revealed on Friday the player is in no hurry to leave.

    Wantaway Reims stars are said to have a July 10 deadline to secure moves, and with purported interest from Madrid subsequently dismissed, Ekitike's short-term future could still be in Ligue 1.

    Garcia told a news conference: "He told me that he wanted to stay, but if Real Madrid or Barcelona arrive...

    "I feel Hugo is calm. I spoke with him. He will have no problem staying at the club – and neither will I."

    Ekitike scored 10 goals and assisted three more in the league last season, contributing a goal involvement every 98 minutes on average.

    Attempting only 31 shots, his conversion rate of 32.3 per cent was the second-best among players with 20 or more attempts across Europe, far outperforming his expected goals total of 7.0.

    As well as Newcastle and Madrid, Ekitike has been linked with Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint-Germain.

  • Onana fulfils 'dream' move to Inter after leaving Ajax Onana fulfils 'dream' move to Inter after leaving Ajax

    Andre Onana has fulfilled a dream after completing his move to Inter.

    Inter confirmed the signing of the Cameroon international on Friday, the day after his contract with Ajax – where he has spent the past six years – came to an end.

    Last season's Serie A runners-up did not announce the length of Onana's deal, but it is reported to run through until the end of the 2026-27 campaign.

    Onana becomes Inter's fourth signing of the window, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Kristjan Asllani and Romelu Lukaku also arriving, the latter two on loan.

    "Dreams come true," Onana posted on his official Twitter page. "Super excited to join my new club, Inter.

    "I want to thank the president, the whole board of Inter, the coach and my own team for making my dream reality."

    Onana, who served a nine-month suspension last year after taking a banned substance, will provide competition for Samir Handanovic at San Siro.

    He becomes the fourth Cameroonian to play for Inter after Samuel Eto'o, Daniel Maa Boumsong and Pierre Wome, and their first African goalkeeper.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.