EPL

'Sometimes you are wrong' - Guardiola defends Man City hierarchy after Super League collapse

By Sports Desk April 24, 2021

Manchester City head coach Pep Guardiola voiced his concerns about the European Super League internally but says there is no problem with his relationship with the club's hierarchy.

City were the first club to withdraw from the European Super League which received widespread condemnation about its announcement last week.

Guardiola mentioned earlier this week that he opposed a league without relegation and had voiced similar concerns at the concept within the four walls of the club.

"It was not difficult because before I make a statement we spoke about that, and they completely agree, and that’s why I tell you," Guardiola said.

"I love this club – I love Ferran [Soriano, chief executive], Txiki [Begiristain, sporting director], Khaldoon [Al Mubarak, chairman] and the people who work in the club – we work together.

"Since I arrived here we were all together in all the decisions.

"I make mistakes, everyone makes mistakes – the guys who take decisions make mistakes, the guys who are sitting and judging what the others do make mistakes.

"Sometimes you are wrong. What’s the problem? We react and we apologise and move forward."

Soriano put out a message to the club's fans earlier in the week, saying that the board deeply regretted its actions.

Related items

  • Gladbach sporting director Eberl steps down, feels 'drained' and 'tired' Gladbach sporting director Eberl steps down, feels 'drained' and 'tired'

    Borussia Monchengladbach sporting director Max Eberl has stepped down from the role after becoming "drained" and "tired".

    Eberl has served in the post for 13 years but confirmed on Friday at an emotional news conference that he was calling it quits.

    The former Gladbach defender, who signed as a player in 1999, revealed that he was no longer enjoying the job.

    "This is by far the hardest press conference I have had to hold in my time as sporting director at Borussia," said Eberl. 

    "I am drained. I am tired. I just no longer have the energy to carry on fulfilling this role in the way the club deserves.

    "After 23 years [with Gladbach], I'm calling time on what has become my life. My work here has always been a joy, but there are things in and around the job that are no fun any more."

    He leaves at a time when Adi Hutter's side are slipping down the table amid a run of just four points from the past eight games, while second-tier Hannover dumped them out of the DFB-Pokal this month.

    But Eberl, who extended his contract in 2020, insists the team's slide has nothing to do with his decision.

    "I can understand the people who might question the timing of my decision with the position the club is in," he said. 

    "But I just don't have the strength to keep doing this job the way I have for so long.

    "I extended my contract 13 months ago and would never have thought that I'd be sitting here today. I'm somebody who puts 100 per cent into everything I do. I have done that for 13 years as sporting director."

    Speaking about his plans for life after football, he added: "I just want to be Max Eberl. I want to see the world and just focus on myself for once in my life.

    "I haven't made this decision in order to move to another club. For now, I don't want anything to do with football.

    "My wish is for football to be the focus rather than making a circus of everything surrounding it. I feel like more respect is needed. There had already been abuse and rumours about my decision before I had even said a single word.

    "You don't have to worry about me. I will enjoy myself and perhaps I'll just fall off the map for a while. It was an honour to be able to work for Borussia Mönchengladbach."

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool make approach for Juventus' Dybala, Barcelona in Meunier loan bid Rumour Has It: Liverpool make approach for Juventus' Dybala, Barcelona in Meunier loan bid

    Paulo Dybala is out of contract at Juventus at the end of this season.

    The two parties are expected to resume talks next month.

    In the meantime, some top clubs are monitoring Dybala's availability.

    TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL IN FOR DYBALA MOVE

    Liverpool have reached to Juventus with a move for Argentina international Dybala, claims Tuttomercatoweb.

    The Reds are looking to capitalise on Dybala's contract situation although Manchester City and Inter are also interested in the 28-year-old.

    Dybala has been with the Bianconeri since 2015 but is yet to agree terms on a new contract.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Marca reports that Barcelona have contacted Borussia Dortmund about signing Thomas Meunier on loan until the end of the season with BVB open to the idea.

    - Wolves will not accept bids below £40 million for Ruben Neves amid interest from Manchester United and Arsenal, claims The Sun.

    - Porto have turned down Tottenham's offer of £37m with add-ons for Colombian winger Luis Diaz reports the Evening Standard.

    - Jose Mourinho's Roma remain hopeful of landing Arsenal's Granit Xhaka before the transfer window closes according to the Mail.

    - Goal reports that Arsenal have agreed a deal to sign US international goalkeeper Matt Turner in the off-season from New England Revolution.

    - Aston Villa's Ashley Young has declined an approach from Newcastle United claims The Mirror.

  • Arsenal in 'pretty strong' position to sign USA goalkeeper Turner, says Arena Arsenal in 'pretty strong' position to sign USA goalkeeper Turner, says Arena

    Arsenal have a "pretty strong" chance of completing a deal for United States goalkeeper Matt Turner, according to New England Revolution coach and sporting director Bruce Arena.

    Turner was voted MLS Goalkeeper of the Year in 2021 after helping the Revs to Supporters' Shield success, though his side fell short in the playoffs with defeat to New York City in the Eastern Conference semi-finals.

    The 27-year-old joined the Revs as a free agent in 2016 after going undrafted and has been a regular for the past four seasons, racking up 97 MLS appearances over that time, including 28 last year when recording five clean sheets.

    Arsenal have recently been linked with the USA international, who has been capped 13 times by his country, and Revs chief Arena has confirmed talks are ongoing between the two teams.

    However, a transfer is not expected to go through this month, with Arsenal instead expected to wait until the end of the Premier League campaign before bringing in Turner – potentially to replace Bernd Leno, the back-up to Aaron Ramsdale.

    "As speculated, there's a chance we could lose Matt Turner," Arena told the Sports Hub on 98.5 radio.

    "If things work out the right way, we will lose him in the summer. We are in negotiations with Arsenal to complete the transfer. The likelihood of that happening is pretty strong."

    Arsenal will reportedly pay an initial £4.5million ($6m) for Turner in a deal that could rise to £7.5m ($10m) with add-ons, which is the same amount Manchester City agreed to pay Columbus Crew for international rival Zack Steffen in 2019.

    The delayed move for Turner may now see Leno stay in place for the remainder of the season.

    Should he complete a switch, Turner will become the fifth American to sign for Arsenal after Gedion Zelalem, Danny Karbassiyoon, Frank Simek and Doug Farquhar.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.