European Super League: This is not dead – Perez continues defence of breakaway plan

By Sports Desk April 21, 2021

Florentino Perez continued his staunch defence of the European Super League on Wednesday, despite the proposed breakaway competition having crumbled before it started.

Real Madrid president Perez had been appointed as the chairman of the competition, which was announced with 12 founding teams and to widespread criticism on Sunday.

Perez spoke on Monday about a need to change football, with clubs struggling financially in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, while he also cited a lack of interest in the game from younger generations.

Yet his words did little to appease the furore and, on Tuesday, the six English clubs involved in the competition all pulled out amid pressure from the Premier League, Football Association (FA), UEFA and the UK government.

The owners of Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Manchester City all offered apologies to their fans for their part in the plans. 

Atletico Madrid, Inter, Milan and Juventus subsequently pulled out on Wednesday, albeit Perez has claimed the latter two remain committed.

Yet Perez insists he will not let the proposals die, and is adamant that there must be drastic reform to football, maintaining the European Super League was put together as a plan to save the game.

Speaking on the El Laguaro radio show following Madrid's win over Cadiz, Perez said: "We were working last night until late. We have been working many years on this project. We have not explained it very well, perhaps.

"They have not given us a chance either. Some do not want anything to happen. It cannot be that in England, the six lose money, and 14 make money. In Spain the top three lose money, and the others make money. It cannot continue – at the moment the rich are those who are losing money.

"I am a bit sad, disappointed. We have been working three years on this project, on fighting the current financial situation in Spanish football. You cannot touch LaLiga, so you look for more money midweek and the Champions League format is obsolete.

"I have never seen aggression greater on the part of the president of UEFA, it was orchestrated, it surprised us all. Insults and threats, as if we had killed football. 

"We are just working on saving football. We have worked very hard on something that would satisfy everyone.

"There was a campaign, totally manipulated, that we were going to finish the national leagues. That we were ending football, it was terrible. But we were working for football to survive.

"If you think the Super League is dead, you're absolutely wrong."

Perez was also bullish in the face of UEFA and FIFA's condemnation.

"Reality is reality. Look at the TV records, and how many people watch big games, and how many people watch the other games. We have to be real," he said.

"That new Champions League format in 2024 has no meaning. No one can understand it. We need a new format to create more money. Young fans don't watch football, they have other hobbies.

"I talk to [Joan] Laporta, Barcelona are still with us. Juventus did not leave. I'm not scared of FIFA or UEFA."

Concluding, Perez also stated that no club would be able to afford major signings at the end of the season.

"It's impossible to make signings like [Kylian] Mbappe and [Erling] Haaland without the Super League," he said. "Not just for us, there will be no big signings, for any club, without the Super League.

"When I took over, Madrid could not pay its players. We changed the world with the Galactico signings. Now after COVID-19, things have to change again."

Related items

  • New York City slump to third consecutive loss, Criscito stunner rescues Toronto draw New York City slump to third consecutive loss, Criscito stunner rescues Toronto draw

    Reigning MLS Cup winners New York City continued their recent slump after suffering a third straight loss, going down 3-1 at home to playoff hopefuls Charlotte FC.

    Charlotte's win moves them up to 10th in the Eastern Conference, with the visitors scoring twice in the final quarter of an hour to claim victory.

    The defeat means City have only managed one point from their past four games and sit third in the east with 42 points from 25 games.

    Karol Swiderski had put Charlotte ahead in the fourth minute despite goalkeeper Sean Johnson's best efforts on the line, but City levelled before the half hour mark via Maxime Chanot's 30-yard strike into the top corner.

    City's Anton Tinnerholm struck the crossbar from range before Charlotte found an avenue to victory with Swiderski's clever back-heel for Brandt Bronico to restore their lead in the 77th minute.

    The visitors won an injury time penalty after video review which ex-Leicester City defender Christian Fuchs coolly converted to seal all three points.

    Domenico Criscito lashed in a spectacular 75th-minute equaliser to earn Toronto a 2-2 draw with New England Revolution.

    Filippo Bernadeschi had put Toronto ahead with a 31st-minute spotkick, but the Revs replied with goals either side of half-time from Tom McNamara and Justin Rennicks.

    But Criscito intervened when Toronto took a corner short to Michael Bradley who lobbed to the edge of the box towards the former Italy international, who rifled in a left-foot volley.

    Eastern Conference leaders Philadelphia Union were beaten 1-0 by FC Dallas with US international Jesus Ferreira scoring the only goal in the 34th minute.

    Paul Arriolo broke down the right flank and passed centrally for Ferreira, who showed good skill to create space inside the box and fire a low strike past Union goalkeeper Andre Blake.

    New York Red Bulls reinforced their status as playoffs contenders with a 2-1 win at struggling Atlanta United while Vancouver Whitecaps defeated Colorado Rapids 2-1.

  • 'It's been too long without winning titles' - Lewandowski vows to end Barcelona's silverware drought 'It's been too long without winning titles' - Lewandowski vows to end Barcelona's silverware drought

    Robert Lewandowski has vowed great things are on the horizon for Barcelona, believing the Blaugrana have waited "too long" for silverware.

    The striker, who completed his €50million move from Bayern Munich last month, made his debut for the Catalan giants against Rayo Vallecano on Saturday.

    Although he failed to find the net in the goalless draw at Camp Nou, the Poland captain had a strike disallowed by VAR while he also hit the woodwork. 

    Barca are looking to regain the LaLiga title this season, having last donned the crown in 2018-19, while they finished 13 points behind eventual champions Real Madrid last term.

    Meanwhile, it is now 16 months since the Blaugrana's last taste of silverware; Lionel Messi's brace inspiring them to a 4-0 victory over Athletic Bilbao in the 2021 Copa del Rey final.

    But Lewandowski is convinced it is only a matter of time before the wait is over.

    "I think it's been too long for Barcelona without winning titles," he said via quotes reported in Marca. "I'm sure we're going to win them.

    "When I first knew that Barcelona were interested in bringing me to the club, at all times I thought it was the perfect time, for me and for the club.

    "I didn't want to play my whole life in one league. In the Bundesliga, everything went well, it was a good experience for me, but I knew it was another step for my career to go to LaLiga."

    Lewandowski will hope to open his Barca goalscoring account when Xavi's side travel to Real Sociedad on Sunday.

  • British billionaire Ratcliffe 'definitely a potential buyer' should Man Utd go up for sale British billionaire Ratcliffe 'definitely a potential buyer' should Man Utd go up for sale

    Jim Ratcliffe is "definitely a potential buyer" of Manchester United should the Glazer family put the club up for sale, according to a spokesperson for the British billionaire.

    A lifelong United fan, INEOS majority shareholder Ratcliffe failed in a last-gasp £4.25billion bid to buy fellow Premier League side Chelsea back in May.

    The club's owners – the Glazer family – have come under increased scrutiny following the Red Devils' poor start to the Premier League season, with supporters staging several protests against the Americans.

    Amid claims that the Glazers are considering selling a minority stake in the club, Ratcliffe would reportedly be willing to discuss a minority holding with the Glazers, but only if it was part of a plan to take full control at a later date.

    The billionaire's spokesperson said that part of the potential investment could involve upgrading the infrastructure, including the Old Trafford stadium.

    "If the club is for sale, Jim is definitely a potential buyer," his spokesperson told The Times. "If something like this was possible, we would be interested in talking with a view to long-term ownership.

    "This is not about the money that has been spent or not spent. Jim is looking at what can be done now and, knowing how important the club is to the city, it feels like the time is right for a reset."

    United have made a poor start to life under new boss Erik ten Hag, losing their season-opener 2-1 at home to Brighton and Hove Albion before being embarrassed 4-0 at Brentford.

    A trip to fierce rivals Liverpool follows on Monday.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.