Barca president Laporta 'convinced' Messi will remain at Camp Nou

By Sports Desk April 16, 2021

Barcelona president Joan Laporta is "convinced" Lionel Messi will sign a new contract to stay with the LaLiga giants.

Messi is out of contract at the end of the season and the 33-year-old's future with Barca is far from certain amid strong links to Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City.

Laporta remains determined to re-sign Messi, who has spent his entire senior career at Camp Nou.

As Barca prepare for Saturday's Copa del Rey final against Athletic Bilbao, Laporta was asked about the record six-time Ballon d'Or winner.

"Everything is progressing adequately," Laporta told Deportes Cuatro.

"I will do everything within the club's capabilities to get him to stay. That's what we're doing. Messi is motivated.

"He is an extraordinary person and I am convinced that he will want to continue at Barca."

Messi has scored a league-high 23 goals and supplied eight assists in 28 LaLiga appearances for Barca this season.

In total, Messi has netted 29 goals across all competitions in 2020-21.

Related items

  • World 200m bronze medallist Quinonez dead aged 32 after reported shooting World 200m bronze medallist Quinonez dead aged 32 after reported shooting

    World 200 metres bronze medallist Alex Quinonez has died at the age of 32 after reportedly being shot in Guayaquil.

    The Ecuadorian sports ministry said Quinonez was found dead in the street on Friday.

    Quinonez made history when he became the Ecuadorian athlete to win a global medal in a track event at the 2019 World Championships in Doha, and he held national records at every sprint distance.

    The sports ministry tweeted: "With great sadness, we confirm the murder of our sportsman Alex Quinonez.

    "We have lost a great sportsman, someone who allowed us to dream, who moved us....he was the greatest sprinter this country produced."

    Spanish football club Barcelona said Quinonez had been a part of the athletics squad in their wider sporting set-up.

    Ecuador president Guillermo Lasso tweeted on Saturday: "We are very sorry for the painful loss of Alex Quinonez, father, son, a great sprinter. Our sincere condolences to his loved ones. Rest in peace.

    "Those who take the lives of Ecuadorians will not go unpunished. We will act forcefully."

    Colombia's world and Olympic 400m silver medallist Anthony Zambrano, a training partner of Quinonez's, posted on social media: "Brother, I cannot believe it’s true.

    "We do not deserve this. What awful news. It's a shame that life is such, but to die one has to be alive. You are great and I will always cherish you in my heart."

    Barcelona stated: "Alex Quinonez had been an FC Barcelona athlete for three years since 2018."

    The club's athletics technical director Vicente Egido said: "The whole athletics community is shocked by this news. Alex was an excellent person and very much a Barca man, and who was highly committed to competing, and enjoying competing, for Barca."

  • Bayern Munich's Kimmich explains why he isn't vaccinated against COVID-19 Bayern Munich's Kimmich explains why he isn't vaccinated against COVID-19

    Bayern Munich midfielder Joshua Kimmich has explained his reasoning for not getting the COVID-19 vaccine.

    The 26-year-old played the full 90 minutes as Bayern swept Hoffenheim aside 4-0 at home, with Serge Gnabry, Robert Lewandowski, Eric Choupo-Moting and Kingsley Coman scoring the goals.

    It was the second match in succession that fully vaccinated head coach Julian Nagelsmann missed due to testing positive for the coronavirus, with the 34-year-old also not present for the 4-0 victory over Benfica in the Champions League on Wednesday.

    Kimmich explained that he is not opposed to the prospect of getting vaccinated at some stage, but he wishes to wait for further research to be conducted.

    "I just want to wait for myself when it comes to long-term studies [about the vaccine]," Kimmich told Sky Deutschland after the game. "Nevertheless, I am aware of my responsibility.

    "Of course, I adhere to the hygiene measures. It is also the case that we unvaccinated players at the club are tested every two or three days.

    "Nevertheless, it is not now that I am in any way a corona denier or vaccination opponent. I don't say categorically that I won't be vaccinated at all. It's just about the fact that I still have a few concerns. That is why it is very possible that I will be vaccinated in the future."

    The Germany international was asked about the initiative 'WeKickCorona' started last year by himself and his Bayern team-mate Leon Goretzka, and Kimmich explained that his aim was to help those affected by COVID-19.

    "'WeKickCorona' was about supporting charitable institutions and non-profit purposes that support people who are in need due to corona," Kimmich said. 

    "We have also donated money to Unicef, which then makes vaccines available. The point is that there are countries that do not have access to the vaccine. 

    "I think everyone should make the decision for themselves. It [should not be] possible that someone has no access."

  • Inter boss Inzaghi shrugs off Allegri's 'favourites' tag ahead of Derby d'Italia Inter boss Inzaghi shrugs off Allegri's 'favourites' tag ahead of Derby d'Italia

    Inter were labelled as favourites to win the Serie A title by Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri, and Simone Inzaghi took the compliment in his stride.

    The Nerazzurri host Juventus in the Derby d'Italia on Sunday, with three points separating the sides in the standings.

    Inter are behind Milan and a Napoli side who have made a flying start to the campaign, winning all eight matches.

    However, Allegri insisted in his pre-match news conference on Saturday that Inter were still the favourites, despite having lost coach Antonio Conte, star striker Romelu Lukaku and full-back Achraf Hakimi over the close season.

    Inzaghi responded by accepting Allegri's flattery, though the Inter boss does not agree with his Juventus counterpart.

    "The championship is at the beginning," Inzaghi told a news conference. "It's a very important match between two very competitive teams.

    "If [Allegri] says so, a coach I respect so much, it's nice. I could say the same about them, Napoli, Milan and more.

    "We want to be favourites and we will try to do our best."

    Juve come into Sunday's fixture on the back of a four-match winning run in Serie A, while Inter lost 3-1 at Lazio last time out in the league.

    The Turin giants are also expected to be able to welcome back forward Paulo Dybala, who has been out for almost a month due to injury.

     

    "Of course, Juventus are our historical rivals," Inzaghi said. "We will have to do well to make the match ours. They have recovered all their players, they have excellent results and we must give them great attention.

    "We have always held our ground and lost only two games despite playing well, even deserving a different result.

    "The progress is good, we have slowed down for a moment, but we are aware and play excellent football."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.