Bayern chief Rummenigge against scrapping FFP & letting only 'clubs owned by billionaires' compete

By Sports Desk April 07, 2021

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge does not want to see UEFA's Financial Fair Play (FFP) model scrapped and has called for tougher sanctions for clubs that break the rules.

FFP regulations, approved by UEFA in 2010 to prevent clubs that qualify for its competitions from spending beyond their means, appear set for significant changes due to the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

The break-even requirement, which means clubs must balance their spending with their revenues and restricts the accumulation of debt, has been declared "purposeless" by UEFA in the context of the revenue crisis caused by COVID-19.

Changes to those specific regulations could well be on the horizon but, though Rummenigge sees the merit in such adjustments, he is firmly against talk of FFP being scrapped altogether.

He told The Athletic of the break-even rule: "Right now, you're allowed to lose €30million (£25.8m) over three years.

"You can't even buy a player for that kind of money, so it's worth looking into it if that can be sensibly adjusted."

However, on FFP as a whole, Rummenigge added: "Things were spiralling out of control, with many clubs losing money in the past.

"FFP has led to a more rational approach, by forcing clubs to budget sensibly and it has made football profitable as a result.

"We can't get to the point where only clubs owned by billionaires can compete."

Rummenigge and the Bayern hierarchy have long been vocal about their commitment to a self-sustainable business model, and he is keen to see FFP changed so that it features harsher penalties for clubs that do not live within their means and breach regulations.

"The current FFP doesn't quite get it right, because the punishments don't work," said Rummenigge. "They're not well defined enough, it's all a grey area.

"Clubs who violate the rules in the future must face much more severe sanctions. We need to really get it right this time. Smart people are looking at it."

Related items

  • Man City defender Walker hit with three-match UEFA ban Man City defender Walker hit with three-match UEFA ban

    Kyle Walker has been hit with a three-match ban by UEFA following his red card in Manchester City's loss to RB Leipzig last month.

    The England full-back was dismissed for a crude hack on Andre Silva late in a game that City went on to lose 2-1.

    Pep Guardiola's side had already qualified for the round of 16, but will now be without Walker for both legs against Sporting CP.

    UEFA confirmed the sanction in a statement on Friday, with Walker's actions described as an "assault".

    The 31-year-old will also miss the first leg of the quarter-finals, should City progress to that stage.

    Walker became the second-oldest Englishman to be sent off in a Champions League game, after Paul Scholes for Manchester United against Roma in April 2007 (32 years, 139 days).


     

  • Gladbach sporting director Eberl steps down, feels 'drained' and 'tired' Gladbach sporting director Eberl steps down, feels 'drained' and 'tired'

    Borussia Monchengladbach sporting director Max Eberl has stepped down from the role after becoming "drained" and "tired".

    Eberl has served in the post for 13 years but confirmed on Friday at an emotional news conference that he was calling it quits.

    The former Gladbach defender, who signed as a player in 1999, revealed that he was no longer enjoying the job.

    "This is by far the hardest press conference I have had to hold in my time as sporting director at Borussia," said Eberl. 

    "I am drained. I am tired. I just no longer have the energy to carry on fulfilling this role in the way the club deserves.

    "After 23 years [with Gladbach], I'm calling time on what has become my life. My work here has always been a joy, but there are things in and around the job that are no fun any more."

    He leaves at a time when Adi Hutter's side are slipping down the table amid a run of just four points from the past eight games, while second-tier Hannover dumped them out of the DFB-Pokal this month.

    But Eberl, who extended his contract in 2020, insists the team's slide has nothing to do with his decision.

    "I can understand the people who might question the timing of my decision with the position the club is in," he said. 

    "But I just don't have the strength to keep doing this job the way I have for so long.

    "I extended my contract 13 months ago and would never have thought that I'd be sitting here today. I'm somebody who puts 100 per cent into everything I do. I have done that for 13 years as sporting director."

    Speaking about his plans for life after football, he added: "I just want to be Max Eberl. I want to see the world and just focus on myself for once in my life.

    "I haven't made this decision in order to move to another club. For now, I don't want anything to do with football.

    "My wish is for football to be the focus rather than making a circus of everything surrounding it. I feel like more respect is needed. There had already been abuse and rumours about my decision before I had even said a single word.

    "You don't have to worry about me. I will enjoy myself and perhaps I'll just fall off the map for a while. It was an honour to be able to work for Borussia Mönchengladbach."

  • Argentina's Chile reception irks De Paul Argentina's Chile reception irks De Paul

    Rodrigo De Paul claims Argentina were subjected to some rough off-field treatment from hosts Chile before their World Cup qualifier.

    The midfielder said the Albiceleste were prevented from using the bathroom on arrival, had no air conditioning or water and were made to suffer the sound of sirens during their stay in Calama. 

    It did not appear to derail the visitors, already safely through to Qatar 2022, as they secured a 2-1 win despite the COVID-enforced absences of Lionel Messi and coach Lionel Scaloni.

    "They didn't even let us go to the bathroom when we got off the plane," De Paul told reporters. "They cut off our air conditioners, we had no water and they made sirens sound throughout the stay.

    "I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but, as an Argentine, every team that comes to my country, we have to make them feel as comfortable as possible and we have to win on the playing field where it belongs."

    Angel Di Maria and Lautaro Martinez netted first-half goals around Ben Brereton-Diaz's looping header as Argentina extended their unbeaten run to 27 games.

    The victory improves second-placed Argentina's CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying campaign to 32 points from 14 games, while Chile are battling to reach Qatar 2022.

    After a solid if unspectacular showing, assistant coach Walter Samuel was pleased to see how well the team coped despite being without talisman Messi.

    "Sure there are things to improve, but the team showed character in a difficult environment," he said.

    "Messi is the leader of this team, but we were able to do very well without him. We lacked other guys because of Covid that we wanted to be there, but the team made a great effort and I want to thank them for that.

    "The character of the boys is moving. All the players start from scratch and want to earn a place in the World Cup. There is healthy competition here."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.