PSG's Florenzi to miss Bayern game after positive COVID-19 test

By Sports Desk April 05, 2021

Alessandro Florenzi will miss the first leg of Paris Saint-Germain's Champions League quarter-final clash with Bayern Munich this week after testing positive for COVID-19. 

The full-back follows PSG team-mate and compatriot Marco Verratti in testing positive for the virus after returning from international duty with Italy. 

Both players missed their side's damaging 1-0 Ligue 1 defeat to Lille on Saturday and will be absent for the trip to Bayern on Wednesday, too. The second leg takes place on April 13.

A statement released by the club on Monday read: "Following the last Sars-Cov2 PCR test, Alessandro Florenzi is confirmed positive. 

"He will therefore respect isolation and is subject to the appropriate health protocol. As a reminder, the player had been in isolation for a few days as a precaution."

Florenzi has made 29 appearances in all competitions this season, scoring two goals for Mauricio Pochettino's side.

The former Roma man is the latest confirmed case connected to the Azzurri squad. The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) announced last Wednesday that four staff members had isolated away from the group following testing carried out prior to the midweek fixture against Lithuania. 

Juventus revealed on Thursday that Leonardo Bonucci had also returned a positive result upon returning to his club, while Sassuolo took the preventative step of leaving out their Italy players for the game against Roma on Saturday.

Related items

  • Henderson to call on Gerrard as Liverpool eye Aston Villa favour Henderson to call on Gerrard as Liverpool eye Aston Villa favour

    Jordan Henderson joked that he is ready to put a call in to Steven Gerrard as Liverpool eye a favour from Aston Villa on the final day of the Premier League season.

    After coming from behind to beat Southampton 2-1 in their penultimate fixture of the campaign, Jurgen Klopp's side remain in with a shout of clinching the title on Sunday.

    But, for that to happen, they must first win their Anfield clash with Wolves and then hope that Manchester City drop points at home to Villa.

    Pep Guardiola's men came out on top in a similarly tight race in 2018-19, and Henderson says he is ready to call on his former Anfield teammate Steven Gerrard - now the manager of Villa - as he looks for a different outcome.

    He told Sky Sports: "It's hard. We've had this before when they played Brighton [and went 1-0 down] and the crowd cheer and you know what's going on and it's hard to focus on the game. 

    "Hopefully that experience, we've learned from it and we can just concentrate on the game and what we need to do. 

    "Hopefully, Stevie and Villa can do us a favour at City. I might give him a call now, actually!"

    That Liverpool have been able to take the title race to the last day owes much to the efforts of the heavily rotated team that clinched victory at St Mary's on Southampton.

    Takumi Minamino was among nine alterations to the line-up, and scored just as he had done on his last Premier League start - a whopping 514 days ago.

    That ability to come in from the cold and contribute pleased Henderson, who remarked: "I feel like we've done that really well all season.

    "The lads who might not have played as much as they would have liked, they've got to come in and show what they're all about. 

    "I felt as though all the lads did that tonight, took the opportunity, and in a Premier League season you need absolutely everyone."

    James Milner echoed his captain's sentiments in urging Liverpool to simply focus on what they can control on the final day of the season.

    However, he also insisted that Klopp's men have done themselves proud in pushing City so close regardless of Sunday's outcome.

    He said: "Try and win our game, that's all we can do, and that's all we've been trying to do since we sort of had a reset in January. 

    "We were so far behind and we went for it, had a mental reset, and since then we've really pushed. 

    "They're an incredible team to go up against and, whatever happens this season, I think we've done ourselves proud. 

    "But you're coming up against a top team like Manchester City so all we can do is try and win our games and try and keep the pressure on right until the end. 

    "All we could do is take it to the last game."

  • Liverpool squad stars 'like Ferraris in the garage' – Klopp Liverpool squad stars 'like Ferraris in the garage' – Klopp

    Liverpool's squad players were describes as "Ferraris in the garage" by Jurgen Klopp after the title chasers came from behind to beat Southampton.

    Klopp made nine changes to his line-up for the trip to St Mary's on Tuesday, where Liverpool realistically had to win to keep hopes of winning the Premier League title alive.

    Although the Reds fell behind to Nathan Redmond's opener, Takumi Minamino pulled them level before half-time and Joel Matip's header secured a huge three points.

    Minamino also scored in his most recent previous Premier League start for Liverpool – a 7-0 win over Crystal Palace in December 2020. That gap of 514 days between scoring in consecutive starts for a top-flight club is the longest since Duncan Ferguson's 533 days for Everton from April 2002 until September 2003.

    Klopp was proud of the result and said any further success that EFL Cup and FA Cup winners Liverpool experience this season is down to the strength in depth they possess.

    "I'm so happy about the performance, it was a bit touching, to be honest," Klopp told a post-match news conference.

    "These boys, it's like having Ferraris in the garage. Harvey [Elliott], I'm not sure when he played last. Curtis [Jones], no rhythm, he played from time to time. Takumi Minamino, it's a crime he's not playing more often. Oxlade [Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain] didn't even play and he's in outstanding shape.

    "It's really tough for the boys, but whatever happens this year happened because of this group. It's exceptional, and tonight they showed that again."

    Klopp added to Sky Sports: "I've never had a group like this. Because we win most of the time there are not a lot of things you can really argue about. But there are two opportunities how you can deal with it: you give up, or you play your role in the group, and this group push each other constantly.

    "In the end it's absolutely outstanding. We came here and had to do what we did, and it worked out because of the boys." 

    Joe Gomez hobbled off injured at half-time and did not return for the second half. Klopp was hopeful the defender had avoided a serious injury, though he reportedly left the stadium on crutches.

    "I hope we are lucky. Joe himself has pain but not too much, but it was really like a shock to the system,” Klopp said.

    “He was sitting in the dressing room, when I spoke to him he was in a good mood so I think we were probably lucky, but we have to figure that out."

    Liverpool are one point behind leaders Manchester City, and will have to beat Wolves at Anfield on Sunday to stand any chance of winning the Premier League.

    City will be entertaining Aston Villa at the same time, but Klopp is not planning to chat to Steven Gerrard before he takes his side to the Etihad Stadium.

    "No, of course not … There's no reason to talk to him [Gerrard]. We all know Villa wants to win because Villa wants to win," said Klopp.

    "We have to first win our game, we can't talk about Wolves as if they will not be there. It's difficult enough.

    "Imagine we went there with one ear in Manchester and [Raul] Jimenez headed in the ball. We will be 100 per cent focused.

    "So many things happened in this second half of the season. If we become champions it would be deserved as well, but for that we have to win."

  • Mbappe wants €50m net from Real Madrid but Barcelona wouldn't pay that, says Laporta Mbappe wants €50m net from Real Madrid but Barcelona wouldn't pay that, says Laporta

    Real Madrid target Kylian Mbappe wants a salary of €50million net and Barcelona had no interest in going that high, according to Joan Laporta. 

    World Cup-winning attacker Mbappe has reportedly agreed personal terms to make a free-transfer switch to Madrid after his Paris Saint-Germain contract expires next month, though the Ligue 1 champions still hope to persuade him to stay.

    The 23-year-old, who has scored 168 goals and supplied 77 assists in 216 games in all competitions for PSG, had also been linked with a switch to Barca.

    However, the Catalan giants' president insists they would not have been willing or able to get anywhere near his demands.

    "There are things that even if we had the money to do it, we wouldn't because it distorts our wage bill and that cannot happen again. It is something we are instilling in the club in all areas," Laporta told Catalunya Radio.

    "We can't go past a certain level of spending. Mbappe is asking for 40-50 million [euros] net. He wants 50 [million euros] net. Mbappe is at the highest level but hasn't won the Champions League. That must also be taken into account.

    "We will not talk about salaries of 25, 30 or 40 [million euros] net. It would be offensive to players who are expected to be a reference in world football and are just starting out at Barcelona. We are not going to do that, nor do we want to."

    Barca have been tipped to sign another of European football's elite strikers in the form of Robert Lewandowski, though.

    Lewandowski does not wish to extend his Bayern Munich contract, which has a year to run, and he could become available for a transfer before the start of the 2022-23 season.

    Asked if the Poland international will sign for Barca, Laporta said: "Let's let the football management and technical secretariat work. I don't want to answer in detail.

    "We are working to be more competitive, but it's not easy due to the economic situation. We are working to clean up the club's finances. Then we can do things.

    "I hope to be able to say that in a year we have largely cleaned up the club's finances. If we manage to clean it up, all the operations we are contemplating will be able to be dealt with."

    A departure for Frenkie de Jong could be one way Barca look to raise funds, but Laporta was unwilling to divulge much when asked about the Netherlands midfielder.

    "There are Barcelona players who are coveted on the market and we will do what is best for Barcelona," he said.

    "If we manage to clean up the club's finances, we will have fair play, cash … I don't know if there will be sales."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.