Palmeiras 1-0 Santos: Breno Lopes clinches Copa Libertadores title with 99th-minute winner

By Sports Desk January 30, 2021

Breno Lopes scored a 99th-minute winner as Palmeiras clinched the Copa Libertadores final in dramatic finale with a 1-0 victory over Santos at the Maracana on Saturday.

After a touchline fracas that saw Santos boss Cuca sent off, Breno – who replaced Gabriel Menino in the 85th minute – rose highest at the back post to nod a sensational right-wing delivery from Rony back across goal and into the far corner.

It was Rony's 13th goal involvement (five scored, eight assisted) in this season's Libertadores and it settled what had been a drab game of few chances in front of a small crowd.

Palmeiras were consequently crowned Libertadores champions for the second time in their history, with Abel Ferreira becoming just the third European coach to lead a team to glory in the competition.

Despite a fiery start there was minimal tempo in the play of both sides, with the temperature in Rio de Janeiro over 30 degrees Celsius at kick-off.

Raphael Veiga dragged the best opening wide before half-time and 14 minutes after the restart Lucas Verissimo nodded a free-kick from Marinho narrowly off target.

Veiga thundered a free-kick just over after the hour mark and Felipe Jonatan flashed a half-volley wide before Cuca was shown a red card in stoppage time for trying to stop Marcos Rocha taking a quick throw-in.

Santos were seemingly distracted by the incident and Palmeiras punished them, with Breno getting above Para – a champion with Santos in 2011 – to head home the decisive goal without the need for extra time.

Related items

  • Rooney turned down Everton approach to focus on Derby County survival bid Rooney turned down Everton approach to focus on Derby County survival bid

    Wayne Rooney turned down an interview for the manager job at Everton in order to commit to Derby County's bid for Championship survival.

    The former Manchester United and England captain said there was an approach from his boyhood club to his agent asking if he would discuss the prospect of taking over at Goodison Park.

    The Toffees, who sacked Rafael Benitez after just over six months in charge two weeks ago, have yet to appoint a permanent successor.

    Although Rooney is convinced he will manage in the Premier League in future, he took the "difficult decision" to decline talks with Everton as he wants to see through Derby's attempt to avoid relegation to the third tier.

    "Everton approached my agent and asked me to interview for the vacant job, which I turned down," he said on Friday.

    "They got in touch with my agent, my agent let the administrators know as well, and yes of course it was a difficult decision for me [to turn it down].

    "I believe I will be a Premier League manager. I believe I'm ready for that, 100 per cent. And if that is with Everton one day in the future, that would be absolutely great. But I've got a job here that I'm doing at Derby County, which is an important job to me."

    Rooney, who progressed through Everton's academy and rejoined the club in 2017 after 15 years at United, initially took on a player-coach role at Derby after Phillip Cocu was sacked in November 2020, with the club bottom of the Championship. He retired from playing to take on the permanent manager job in January last year and steered them to survival on the final day of the season.

    Derby were hit with a 21-point deduction for 2021-22 after going into administration and admitting a breach of English Football League accounting rules, but while the future of the club remains uncertain, Rooney has overseen an almost miraculous battle against relegation, with eight wins and 11 draws from 27 matches leaving them a relatively modest eight points from safety.

    Everton dismissed Benitez following a defeat to Norwich City left them six points above the Premier League drop zone. According to reports, their final three candidates are caretaker manager Duncan Ferguson, former Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard and ex-Porto and Fenerbahce boss Vitor Pereira.
  • Man City defender Walker hit with three-match UEFA ban Man City defender Walker hit with three-match UEFA ban

    Kyle Walker has been hit with a three-match ban by UEFA following his red card in Manchester City's loss to RB Leipzig last month.

    The England full-back was dismissed for a crude hack on Andre Silva late in a game that City went on to lose 2-1.

    Pep Guardiola's side had already qualified for the round of 16, but will now be without Walker for both legs against Sporting CP.

    UEFA confirmed the sanction in a statement on Friday, with Walker's actions described as an "assault".

    The 31-year-old will also miss the first leg of the quarter-finals, should City progress to that stage.

    Walker became the second-oldest Englishman to be sent off in a Champions League game, after Paul Scholes for Manchester United against Roma in April 2007 (32 years, 139 days).


     

  • Aston Villa sign Chambers from Arsenal Aston Villa sign Chambers from Arsenal

    Aston Villa have completed the permanent signing of Calum Chambers from Arsenal.

    The defender, who can play as a full-back or centre-back, has signed a deal that keeps him at Villa Park until the end of the 2024-25 season.

    Chambers, 27, joined the Gunners in a deal reportedly worth £16million in July 2014 having broken into Southampton's first team as a teenager.

    But, partly due to injuries, he struggled to establish himself as first-choice at Emirates Stadium, with the 23 Premier League appearances he made in his first campaign comfortably the most he ever tallied in a single top-flight season for the Gunners.

    Since then, he has also spent time on loan at Middlesbrough and Fulham in the Premier League, suffering relegation with both.

    Chambers had only featured twice in the league for the Gunners this season – both outings came in August as Arsenal suffered defeats to Manchester City and Brentford that produced an aggregate score of 7-0.

    The deal is believed to be a free transfer, as Chambers' contract with Arsenal was due to expire at the end of the season.

    He becomes Villa's fourth signing of the window after Lucas Digne, Philippe Coutinho and Robin Olsen.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.