EPL

Diallo could make Man Utd debut soon after impressing Solskjaer

By Sports Desk January 19, 2021

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Amad Diallo has made a "quite remarkable" impact in training and could be given his Manchester United debut soon.

The 18-year-old completed his move to United from Atalanta, which was originally agreed in October, this month.

Diallo did not start a competitive game for Atalanta, only making a handful of substitute appearances.

But Solskjaer has been impressed by how the winger has adapted so far and suggested he could be on the pitch for the first team within a month.

Solskjaer has previously praised Diallo's training performances and went even further ahead of Wednesday's game with Fulham.

"Very good [first impression]," Solskjaer said about Diallo.

"He can handle the ball, he has enjoyed training, makes a difference in training, which is quite remarkable at his age.

"Some adjustment to settle into the hustle and bustle of the Premier League but I can't see it's too long until he’s in the squad."

Asked if it might be four or five weeks until his debut, Solskjaer added: "It might be quicker than that, he has definitely settled down well.

"Players have taken to him, he is a good character, polite, smiley boy who works really hard.

"He is doing his sessions, getting used to us, there is always a period of adjustment needed but he is settling in well."

United boss Solskjaer expects one or two more players to depart before the January transfer window concludes.

He said: "I don't want to go into individuals but we can probably allow one or two more to go out.

"But the strength we have is we have a deep squad, strength in depth, we don't want to give our advantage away by easing off on our players, I can't give you a better answer than that."

Defenders Brandon Williams and Phil Jones were the only players who did not train ahead of the Fulham clash.

Solskjaer added United were still waiting for their latest batch of coronavirus results 30 hours after undergoing tests and hoped to receive them soon.

Related items

  • Rooney turned down Everton approach to focus on Derby County survival bid Rooney turned down Everton approach to focus on Derby County survival bid

    Wayne Rooney turned down an interview for the manager job at Everton in order to commit to Derby County's bid for Championship survival.

    The former Manchester United and England captain said there was an approach from his boyhood club to his agent asking if he would discuss the prospect of taking over at Goodison Park.

    The Toffees, who sacked Rafael Benitez after just over six months in charge two weeks ago, have yet to appoint a permanent successor.

    Although Rooney is convinced he will manage in the Premier League in future, he took the "difficult decision" to decline talks with Everton as he wants to see through Derby's attempt to avoid relegation to the third tier.

    "Everton approached my agent and asked me to interview for the vacant job, which I turned down," he said on Friday.

    "They got in touch with my agent, my agent let the administrators know as well, and yes of course it was a difficult decision for me [to turn it down].

    "I believe I will be a Premier League manager. I believe I'm ready for that, 100 per cent. And if that is with Everton one day in the future, that would be absolutely great. But I've got a job here that I'm doing at Derby County, which is an important job to me."

    Rooney, who progressed through Everton's academy and rejoined the club in 2017 after 15 years at United, initially took on a player-coach role at Derby after Phillip Cocu was sacked in November 2020, with the club bottom of the Championship. He retired from playing to take on the permanent manager job in January last year and steered them to survival on the final day of the season.

    Derby were hit with a 21-point deduction for 2021-22 after going into administration and admitting a breach of English Football League accounting rules, but while the future of the club remains uncertain, Rooney has overseen an almost miraculous battle against relegation, with eight wins and 11 draws from 27 matches leaving them a relatively modest eight points from safety.

    Everton dismissed Benitez following a defeat to Norwich City left them six points above the Premier League drop zone. According to reports, their final three candidates are caretaker manager Duncan Ferguson, former Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard and ex-Porto and Fenerbahce boss Vitor Pereira.
  • Man City defender Walker hit with three-match UEFA ban Man City defender Walker hit with three-match UEFA ban

    Kyle Walker has been hit with a three-match ban by UEFA following his red card in Manchester City's loss to RB Leipzig last month.

    The England full-back was dismissed for a crude hack on Andre Silva late in a game that City went on to lose 2-1.

    Pep Guardiola's side had already qualified for the round of 16, but will now be without Walker for both legs against Sporting CP.

    UEFA confirmed the sanction in a statement on Friday, with Walker's actions described as an "assault".

    The 31-year-old will also miss the first leg of the quarter-finals, should City progress to that stage.

    Walker became the second-oldest Englishman to be sent off in a Champions League game, after Paul Scholes for Manchester United against Roma in April 2007 (32 years, 139 days).


     

  • Vlahovic arrives for medical as Juve move draws closer Vlahovic arrives for medical as Juve move draws closer

    Dusan Vlahovic is primed to complete his move to Juventus after arriving for his medical on Friday.

    The 21-year-old striker is set to seal a reported €75million switch from Fiorentina, which looks likely to be confirmed before the weekend.

    Juve posted a tweet showing the Serbian arriving to undertake the formalities of his move.

    Vlahovic is the joint-top scorer in Serie A this season with 17 goals from 21 appearances – a tally only matched by Lazio's Ciro Immobile.

    He has been linked with a host of top clubs across Europe after his impressive form over the past two seasons.

    Vlahovic will join a Juve team who have often struggled to turn possession into goals this season, with Massimiliano Allegri's men having scored just 34 times across 23 Serie A games.

    That means their attack is the 11th-best in the league, way behind leading scorers Inter (53), while Fiorentina have scored 41 times so far with Vlahovic on board.

    Serbia international Vlahovic, who joined La Viola from Partizan in 2018, has converted 28 big chances since the start of last season, more than any other player in Serie A.

     

    His tally of 21 goals during 2020-21 was the highest recorded by a Fiorentina player in a single campaign since Alberto Gilardino in 2008-09 (25).

    Vlahovic also netted 33 league goals in 2021; matching Cristiano Ronaldo's record for the most scored in the Italian top-flight during a calendar year. 

    Last week, Fiorentina chief executive Joe Barone confirmed the club were open to selling Vlahovic, who subsequently missed Sunday's draw with Cagliari due to a positive COVID-19 test.

    Vlahovic's imminent signing may pave the way for Alvaro Morata to leave Juve, with Barcelona reportedly keen on signing the Spain international, who is on loan from Atletico Madrid.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.