EPL

Lampard calm on Werner drought despite missing 'bread and butter' chance

By Sports Desk January 16, 2021

Frank Lampard is remaining patient amid Timo Werner's Premier League goal drought despite the striker missing a glorious chance late on in Chelsea's 1-0 win over Fulham.

Although Germany international Werner scored in the recent FA Cup win over Morecambe, he went into Saturday's match without a goal in his previous nine league games.

That was already his longest run without a goal since going 11 matches without netting in 2016.

He had a fine chance to finally end that difficult spell in the latter stages when he was put through on goal by Christian Pulisic, but he missed the target when one-on-one with Fulham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola.

Luckily for Chelsea and Lampard, the excellent Mason Mount had already netted what proved to be the winner.

Lampard put on a brave face for Werner at full-time, though he did not completely hide his disappointment.

When asked if he was worried about Werner's dry spell, Lampard told Sky Sports: "I think it's normal.

"If you don't score as regularly as you want – he scored last week in the FA Cup. Those are the goals I've seen him score many times, his bread and butter is going through like that and scoring.

"He has to keep on working, that's the only way out of it. We've all been there. If you're a goalscorer or striker, get back on the training pitch, be pleased that you're getting in there and go again.

"It will go in for him, because he's high quality. We're getting him in positions there when he came on, and he will score."

Chelsea's winner came 12 minutes from time, rather late in the day considering struggling Fulham were reduced to 10 men in the 44th minute when Antonee Robinson was sent off for a wild lunge on Cesar Azpilicueta.

But Lampard insists he had faith they would get the job done and he paid tribute to Mount, whose seven key passes in a single match has only been bettered three times in the Premier League this term.

"I trust in the quality of the players," he added. "Mason, I thought, was outstanding in the game anyway, so he deserves the accolades for how he played.

"I did have a feeling we were going to get the goal because it was constant pressure. It was just staying patient, staying quick with our passing, which I think we did.

"I changed it to bring Tammy [Abraham] on to get him and Oli [Olivier Giroud] up front. I wanted to bring Callum [Hudson-Odoi] on for his one-versus-one [abilities]. Callum could have deserved to start today, to be fair.

"It's not easy selections for me on that side of the pitch at the moment, so he added, Tammy added and Timo added, just disappointed he didn't get his goal.

"Mason was in a slightly deeper role at that point, but he arrived in the box. He needs to score more goals and he knows that, but his quality is brilliant and his attitude is brilliant."

Victory moved Chelsea up to seventh in the Premier League, and they are in action again on Tuesday as they go to Leicester City.

Related items

  • Physically, I feel good - Kawhi Leonard shares update as Clippers step up NBA season preparations Physically, I feel good - Kawhi Leonard shares update as Clippers step up NBA season preparations

    Los Angeles Clippers forward Kawhi Leonard says he feels good as he closes in on his long-awaited return from injury ahead of the 2022-23 NBA season.

    The two-time NBA Finals MVP missed the entire of the last campaign due to an ACL injury sustained in game four of the 2021 Western Conference Semi-Finals against the Utah Jazz. 

    The Clippers certainly felt Leonard's absence as they missed out on the play-offs, losing to the Minnesota Timberwolves and New Orleans Pelicans in the play-in tournament.

    The small forward averaged 24.8 points, 6.5 rebounds and a career-high 5.2 assists per game in the 2020-21 regular season, having averaged a personal best of 27.1 points the previous term - his first with the Clippers.

    In a compilation video posted on the franchise's social media channels, which featured several clips of him in the gym, Leonard could be heard saying: "Physically, I feel good."

    The 31-year-old will hope to make his return when the Clippers launch their 2022-23 campaign against the Los Angeles Lakers on October 20.

  • British billionaire Ratcliffe 'definitely a potential buyer' should Man Utd go up for sale British billionaire Ratcliffe 'definitely a potential buyer' should Man Utd go up for sale

    Jim Ratcliffe is "definitely a potential buyer" of Manchester United should the Glazer family put the club up for sale, according to a spokesperson for the British billionaire.

    A lifelong United fan, INEOS majority shareholder Ratcliffe failed in a last-gasp £4.25billion bid to buy fellow Premier League side Chelsea back in May.

    The club's owners – the Glazer family – have come under increased scrutiny following the Red Devils' poor start to the Premier League season, with supporters staging several protests against the Americans.

    Amid claims that the Glazers are considering selling a minority stake in the club, Ratcliffe would reportedly be willing to discuss a minority holding with the Glazers, but only if it was part of a plan to take full control at a later date.

    The billionaire's spokesperson said that part of the potential investment could involve upgrading the infrastructure, including the Old Trafford stadium.

    "If the club is for sale, Jim is definitely a potential buyer," his spokesperson told The Times. "If something like this was possible, we would be interested in talking with a view to long-term ownership.

    "This is not about the money that has been spent or not spent. Jim is looking at what can be done now and, knowing how important the club is to the city, it feels like the time is right for a reset."

    United have made a poor start to life under new boss Erik ten Hag, losing their season-opener 2-1 at home to Brighton and Hove Albion before being embarrassed 4-0 at Brentford.

    A trip to fierce rivals Liverpool follows on Monday.

  • Berardi signs new Sassuolo deal amid Juventus and Milan links Berardi signs new Sassuolo deal amid Juventus and Milan links

    Juventus and Milan target Domenico Berardi has signed a new contract with Sassuolo that will keep him at the club until 2027.

    Berardi impressed again for Sassuolo in the 2021-22 season, scoring 15 times in Serie A – the third consecutive campaign the forward has posted double figures in the league.

    He also recorded the most assists in the Italian top flight (14) and was the only Serie A forward to manage double figures for both goals and assists.

    The 28-year-old has been at Sassuolo his entire career, but there had been suggestions recently that he could be tempted by a new challenge.

    He was linked to Juventus, who co-owned him between 2013 and 2015, while Liverpool and Milan were also among those reportedly interested in the Italy international.

    However, it was announced on Wednesday that he had pledged his future to the club for a further five years.

    Berardi was in the headlines for the wrong reasons last week after he was involved in a heated spat with a Modena fan.

    Sassuolo were eliminated from the Coppa Italia by their Serie B hosts at Stadio Alberto Braglia, with their loss followed by Berardi apparently chasing an opposing supporter outside the ground.

    The footage went viral, but Berardi took to social media to offer an explanation, suggesting his family had been targeted off the pitch to spark his ire.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.