EPL

Solskjaer not ruling out further Man Utd departures in January window

By Sports Desk January 16, 2021

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is not ruling out further departures from Manchester United before the January transfer window closes.

Defender Timothy Fosu-Mensah joined Bayer Leverkusen on a permanent deal earlier this week and striker Odion Ighalo's loan deal is set to expire at the end of the month.

A number of other fringe players have been linked with the Old Trafford exit, meanwhile, with the likes of Jesse Lingard, Sergio Romero and Marcos Rojo all in need of minutes – the Argentinian pair have been told they can leave.

Daniel James, Brandon Williams and Dean Henderson are others reportedly seeking loan moves to further their development.

And Solskjaer is prepared to sanction more exits in the coming weeks as he attempts to trim his squad.

"You can't really say no because, in football, things just crop up," he told the club's official website.

"There are opportunities that we can't really say no to and, if it's the best for the club and the player, then it's something we'll look at.

"At the moment I can't update you on any of them, I don't really know where any negotiations are [up to]."

Academy product Fosu-Mensah left the club having made just 30 senior appearances since his first-team debut in February 2016.

"We wish Tim all the best - six-and-a-half years I think he was here," Solskjaer said.

"He's an exciting talent and he's got the attributes, but he needs to play.

"When he gets regular game-time I think we'll see him for Netherlands and we'll see how good a player he is."

United are not expected to be especially busy with regards to incomings, though young winger Amad Diallo - signed in October - officially linked up with the squad this week for the first time following the completion of his move from Atalanta.

Despite only just arriving at the club, Solskjaer is seemingly open to the idea of using the 18-year-old in Sunday's huge top-of-the-table Premier League showdown with Liverpool.

"Let him have some time. But whether it is against Liverpool in the league, Liverpool in the FA Cup, this weekend, or in two or three weeks… It is questionable," he told Dagbladet.

"We have a very fresh stable, there are only one or two that are questionable for the weekend. I don't rule out that he is in the squad for the Liverpool match. 

"Things can happen. You see how fast things happen over here in England. Suddenly, a team has six players out with coronavirus. So, you don't know. 

"I don't want to put any time on it, but he is at least in the group, trains with us and can be chosen in the squad."

Related items

  • 'I've never seen real leadership from him' – Legrottaglie questions whether Juventus should fight for De Ligt 'I've never seen real leadership from him' – Legrottaglie questions whether Juventus should fight for De Ligt

    Matthijs de Ligt has never shown "real leadership" with Juventus and the club might do well to offload him, according to former Bianconeri defender Nicola Legrottaglie.

    The Netherlands centre-back is under contract at the Allianz Stadium until June 2024, but could soon be on the move after three years in Italy.

    Chelsea have been linked with a move for the 22-year-old, who has been a regular in the heart of the Juventus defence since arriving from Ajax for €85.5million in July 2019.

    The centre-half has racked up 117 appearances across all competitions, scoring eight goals, and winning the Serie A title during his first season.

    In 87 Serie A games, he has committed just one error leading to a goal, yet Legrottaglie has not been wholly convinced by De Ligt.

    With the Chelsea rumour now circling, Legrottaglie said: "If the boy was really convinced he wanted to leave, I don't know how much it would be better for Juventus to keep him at home against his will."

    Legrottaglie, who also played for Italy, believes there are plenty of admirable elements about De Ligt's game.

    "In terms of characteristics, I have always liked the player," Legrottaglie told Tuttojuve.com. "I believe, however, that he has never really immersed himself into the environment.

    "I have never seen real leadership from him; from the outside, he has been perceived as a bit separate from the group. Let's say he didn't do everything to make himself loved."

    De Ligt remarked that Torino centre-back Gleison Bremer and Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly might have the attributes to bolster the Juventus defence, after back-to-back fourth-placed finishes in Serie A.

    He also pointed to the likely high cost of such players, and said: "It is not certain that with a great champion you necessarily do better, especially in defence. What counts is the work of the department, which often makes up for the quality of the individual."

    Speaking in early June to Dutch outlet NOS, De Ligt said talks about his Juventus future had been taking place, adding: "When the time comes, I will decide whether I will extend or whether I want to look further.

    "I always look at what is best for myself in terms of the sporting project. Fourth place twice in a row is not good enough; we will have to make steps in that direction."

  • Dybala 'must be seized' by Inter, says former Nerazzurri striker Milito Dybala 'must be seized' by Inter, says former Nerazzurri striker Milito

    Paulo Dybala "must be seized" if there is an opportunity for Inter to sign the Juventus forward, according to former Nerazzurri striker Diego Milito.

    The Argentina international, whose contract with the Bianconeri expires next week, has been strongly linked with a move to Inter, with talks reportedly ongoing.

    Simone Inzaghi is eager to strengthen his side, having narrowly surrendered their Serie A crown to rivals Milan last season, with Romelu Lukaku reportedly on the brink of returning on loan from Chelsea.

    Dybala scored 115 goals in 293 appearances across all competitions for Juventus, including 10 in the league last season, while winning five Scudettos, four Coppa Italia titles and reaching the 2016-17 Champions League final.

    And Milito, who won the treble with Inter in the 2009-10 campaign, insists his former club should not pass up any chance to sign his compatriot as they look to regain the domestic crown next term.

     

    "Everyone could use him," the former striker told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "If there is a chance, then he must be seized.

    "He would be an asset in a team that is already complete.

    “Dybala would be in the right club to reset and restart. And he wouldn't change leagues; he knows Serie A well, he wouldn't struggle.

    "The team and the fans would welcome him, [and his] desire for revenge would make the difference."

  • Rumour Has It: Chelsea, Roma circling for Ronaldo Rumour Has It: Chelsea, Roma circling for Ronaldo

    Although Cristiano Ronaldo's affection for Manchester United is without doubt, his return to Old Trafford has not gone as he might have planned.

    Following Erik ten Hag's arrival, Ronaldo's reported concern over United's apparent lack of transfer activity has made other clubs explore possibilities to sign him.

    Reports suggest that a couple of clubs have already made their interest indirectly known.

    TOP STORY – CHELSEA, ROMA CIRCLING FOR RONALDO

    Chelsea and Roma have expressed their interest in signing Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United, according to reports.

    The Athletic has reported Chelsea, with Todd Boehly installing himself as interim sporting director after his consortium's takeover of the club, met with Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes to discuss the possibility of his transfer.

    Ronaldo has a year left on his contract, and the possibility of him leaving after only one season has grown with Erik ten Hag's arrival.

    Meanwhile, Retesport are reporting the Giallorossi are keen to sign the 37-year-old, with the Friedkin group looking to reunite him with former boss Jose Mourinho and build on the team's Conference League triumph.

    ROUND-UP

    – In the background, United are increasingly confident they will be able to land Barcelona's Frenkie de Jong for a fee of £69million (€80.2m), Goal reports.

    – Also, Blues boss Thomas Tuchel has made contact with Manchester City and England forward Raheem Sterling, according to the Telegraph.

    – Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain have opened talks over a deal for Neymar amid Chelsea's interest, per AS.

    – Leeds United are preparing a £26million (€30.2m) bid for Club Brugge's Charles de Ketelaere, the Daily Mail reports.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.